Topic: HREF in Caption Doesn't Seem to Work as Link

I put up a gallery, and in one of my captions included an <A HREF... </A> string. When published, this resulted in an underlined link, and when hovered over it the mouse pointer changed to its finger-like icon. However, clicking on this didn't do anything.

You folks tried putting a link up in a caption? Is this theoretically supported?

Cheers,

Bill

Re: HREF in Caption Doesn't Seem to Work as Link

Hyperlinks are supported in captions, see an example on the second image in this gallery: http://juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/

To add HTML to captions check here: http://juicebox.net/support/faq/#custom-3

Okay, I've discovered the problem here. Your image of 2 of 16, for instance, does have a hyperlink ("Juicebox") in the caption, and it works fine. Unlike you, however, when I put a link in:

- I left the Caption -> Max Caption Height at 100... AND
- Had a multi-line caption... AND
- Had the link on the caption's first line... AND
- Like you, was using caption OVERLAY.

From the top of the page, as you hover/slide the mouse down alongside or within the main image - and this will depend on assorted border settings, etc. - either at the top of the image or shortly thereafter, the mouse pointer changes from a pointer to a finger. This is in keeping with its use as a clicker to show the next image.

As the mouse nears the bottom of the image, it changes from a finger back to a plain ol' mouse pointer. Only at that point can it be used to click on a hyperlink (and only then will it show the URL of a hyperlink when hovered). However, if the caption overlay area is too tall, the top of this area - and the first line, in my case - will intrude into the area in which the mouse is next-image-capable, not hyperlink-capable.

This problem is eliminated, of course, if BELOW_IMAGE or BOTTOM is chosen for the Caption -> Caption Position.

What I think should be changed in Juicebox, if at all possible, is to have the mouse revert to a regular browser-page mouse (from a click-me-for-the-next-or-prior-image mouse) at the top of the OVERLAY area (as opposed to some percentage down the page).

If you want to see an example of the problem, look at image 13 at http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/ .

Cheers,

Bill

4 (edited by wspollack 2012-05-05 22:00:23)

Addendum: of course, if you're viewing that page on a monitor with a very high resolution, you may not encounter a problem (because the overlay area may be narrowed down in size). I'm using a monitor with 1440 x 900 resolution, and one of my Firefox add-ons reports that - what with a two-line taskbar menu area, etc. - the browser itself is using an area of 1456 x 856 (which doesn't seem right, given the monitor's 1440 max width).

In any event, you may have to resize the browser window to replicate this problem.

Bill

thanks for the report. Have replicated and added to our bug list.

Felix wrote:

thanks for the report. Have replicated and added to our bug list.

Excellent. FYI, I've now changed the layout of that gallery a bit, so the problem no longer manifests itself there.

Bill