Topic: Images flickering during transition

Made a quick gallery to try it out, after the first couple of images, the images flash onscreen, then disappear, and then the  transition continues.

Link below.

Hope you can help.

http://juice.johnvphotoart.co.uk

John.

Re: Images flickering during transition

Thank you for posting the link to your gallery.
However, I do not see the images flash and disappear as you describe.
Could you please confirm whether you use a Mac or PC and which browser(s) you see the problem in? Thank you.

3 (edited by michaels 2012-05-18 11:33:59)

I've just noticed this issue (or a similar one). On Firefox 12, if I click on an image thumbnail, the main image fades up & then extremely quickly the image disappears and reappears (this effect appears as a flicker just after complete fade in). If I use the keyboard, I don't see this effect (due to the 'slide' action). Occasionally however, I do not see this flicker when I click on a thumbnail. I guess it might be a memory issue.

I don't see this on IE9.

Edit: I just checked John's gallery (which has no thumbnails to click) and occasionally, I noticed the same issue. It's the same issue I reported above, and if IE9 is used, the flicker is not present.

Thank you both for reporting.
I have been able to replicate this problem and a bug report has been logged.

Sorry, should have said. Using Firefox v12.

No thumbnails. I use slideshow pro at the moment without thumbnails, so was trying for a like for like look.

Thanks for the attention you are giving my enquiry.

J.

Yes. This bug affects only Firefox v12 (whether thumbnails are used or not).
This issue is being addressed and should hopefully be fixed in the next version of Juicebox.

I've got this same issue viewing my gallery on an iPad   I thought it was due to my slow Internet connection

http://www.keithlevitphotography.com/gl … /imagine5/

Comments?

This bug has now been fixed in v1.1.0. Please see this Juicebox Blog entry for further details.

@klevit

Please try upgrading your gallery to Juicebox v1.1.0 to see if it helps with the problem on your iPad.

Hello,
I'm having the exact same issue on my computer running Win7 x64 and firefox 18.
I tried with juicebox lite v1.2 on my computer.
I'd like to buy it but have this is quite a big problem.
It's doing it with my own galleries and on this demo too (when clicking on thumbnails : http://www.juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/

Thanks for your reply

@djo

Thank you for reporting this flickering issue in Firefox 18.
I have notified the developers and it should be fixed in the next version of Juicebox.

11 (edited by captureme 2013-02-08 17:56:07)

I would like some clarification on selling points from the Juicebox Website

Full browser support for Internet Explorer 6+, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.

Future-Proof and built from the ground up with modern web standards (HTML5 and JavaScript) to work on all devices and not become obsolete.

I understand that all browsers render css and java script code slightly different. And with every change of configuration (Juicebox) or browser update, you are running the risk of experiencing new bugs / conflicts.

Yesterday I added caption for a client and I was not able to navigate with the thumbs anymore - some table of the caption was above the thumbs and changing the css z-index in the theme fortunately  fixed it.

Not to mention bugs that have not been fixed like a broken gallery on opera mini - simplevier works just fine on opera mini by the way!

The features that Juicebox promises are fantastic and working for the most part, I understand that you can not predict future rendering of Browsers but I am wondering about future support and bug fixes  of Juicebox 1 once 2.0 or the next gallery is released.

Felix claimed

As we looked at adding more features to the non-Flash version of SimpleViewer, it became apparent that we had to redesign and re-build from scratch.

I understand

In order to maintain consistency between the desktop and mobile versions we needed to remove the Flash component and rebuild entirely in JavaScript.

All I know is that I successfully upgraded simpleviewer.js with juicebox.js. 

I am under the impression that this Juicebox Gallery is future proof, all of the offered configuration options work across all the major browser you listed on the Juicebox website (and bugs will be addressed and fixed in a timely manner) , and there would be no need to upgrade if I am satisfied with the current configuration options since they are future proof.

Please be assured that we test Juicebox in all major browsers and all bugs found (no matter how small) are logged, prioritized and fixed as soon as possible.

I am wondering about future support and bug fixes  of Juicebox 1 once 2.0 or the next gallery is released.

I do not know if or when Juicebox v2.0 will be released (though I expect it is a long way off yet) or what will happen to the v1.x branch when it does. As v1.x is actively being developed, I would not worry about v2.0 yet.

This bug (the flickering of images during transition in Firefox) has now been fixed in v1.3.0. Please see the Version History for a full list of changes and the Upgrading Juicebox page for details on how to get the latest version.