Topic: Large Image Not Full Height in Opera?

Here's a test gallery for you, with a mere two images: http://www.billanddot.com/aspect-test/ . These are not resized (not my usual practice - this is only a test); the first image is 2592 x 1944 and the second is 3888 x 2592.

If I look at this page on my (32-bit Vista) PC's (1440 x 900) monitor, and click the Hide Thumbnails button, I encounter no quirks in the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. However, if I do this in Opera, image 2/2 does not take up the full height of the browsing window.

Pick one:

A) The software (JB) works as intended, and I don't really understand what's supposed to be happening in this case.
B) There's a tiny bug in JB, and only Opera strictly enforces some standard that the other browsers let slide.
C) There's a tiny bug in Opera, manifesting itself only in rare circumstances.
D) None of the above.
E) Some or all of the above.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: Large Image Not Full Height in Opera?

There are several variables in this equation: the aspect ratio of your image, the default browser window viewport size when maximized (which will vary from browser to browser due to differently-sized toolbars, etc.) and the size of your monitor.
Your second image in Opera (on my screen) fills the screen left-to-right but not top-to-bottom due to these variables.
If I then resize Opera so that it is much wider than it is tall, your second image does fill the gallery top-to-bottom (but not left-to-right). If you want your images to always fill the available image area left-to-right and top-to-bottom, you could change the imageScaleMode from the default setting of 'SCALE_DOWN' to 'FILL' (though cropping may occur).

Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I follow what you're saying. And I certainly don't want to use FILL; it may have uses, but not for me.

However, consider the following, please.

I reconfigured my typical Firefox add-ons to match - pretty much - the viewing window in Opera. I opened my test page, http://www.billanddot.com/aspect-test/ , in both browsers, hid the thumbnails and info, and took full desktop screen shots. Here they are:

http://www.billanddot.com/firefox-desktop.jpg
http://www.billanddot.com/opera-desktop.jpg

The fact that the browser bars and suchlike take up about the same space is one thing. But regardless, what I don't understand, what I can't get my head around, is how there's extra room at the bottom of that image 2 in Opera. The image is MUCH larger than my monitor can handle without scroll bars. So what perplexes me is why Opera doesn't make it bigger - in my particular case - such that it consumes the full height available (as is the case with Firefox and the other browsers). If Opera made it taller, such that it took up the full height, it would have to make it wider. Well, there is plenty of left- and right-side room left over; that is, while preserving the aspect ratio of that image, if Opera were to make it taller, it would have no problem, in terms of available space, with the concomitant increased width that would bring. So why doesn't it (ala Firefox, et al.)?

You follow me? It sure seems like a bug to me, either in Opera or in what Juicebox is telling it to do.

Bill

Thank you for providing the screenshots.
I cannot replicate the problem and do not see what you are seeing.
In Opera 11.64 on my system (Windows 7 SP1 x64), there is never an occurrence/browser window size whereby there is room on all 4 sides of your second image. It is always displayed edge-to-edge (either top-to-bottom or left-to-right).
Out of interest, does the image snap into place (edge-to-edge) if you resize the browser window (even only slightly) to force the gallery to resize dynamically?
Also, could you please confirm which version of Opera you use and I will log a bug report.
Thank you for reporting.

Opera is 11.64.

Yep, image 2 (and 1) fill the screen when it resized smaller. However, the image fills the screen when it's maximized, too. That is, I can no longer reproduce the problem. Don't know what to say...

Bill

OK. Maybe I'll hold off on the bug report. Keep an eye on it and if the bug reoccurs, please post back.