Re: Feature Requests

Feature request from bjbarouch (original thread):

Bug: password handling

It is inconvenient to have the password stored in a separate file from the config file. I was told this was for security, but config.xml and jbcore/pswd.php are both accessible from the client side. To be secure, instead of storing passwords in plain text in any file, passwords should be passed through a secure digest such as SHA-2 and the result of that process stored. If this approach is taken, they can be in config.xml, because knowing these values does not inform anyone of the passwords themselves.

The Juicebox Full Browser mode requires two return buttons: a previous page button and a home page button.

In Full Browser mode, whose interest is to leave as much space as possible for images, the interface of the site where the gallery is located disappears and the Juicebox interface should allow the following two features:
- return to the previous page (by accessing the gallery from the site where it is located),
- access the home page of the site (when the gallery is accessed from a search engine or an external link).
The BackButton can be used to meet either of these needs, but not both! And if a hijacked use of the gallery title can fill this gap (add a link and use   to avoid that the gallery title overlaps with the home page button icon!), a second button would really be more appropriate.

My request, concerning the future features of Juicebox: a previous page button and a homepage button.

@Bricolage

Thank you for your suggestion.

My notes below may help to clarify some things for others reading your post.

- return to the previous page (by accessing the gallery from the site where it is located),

The Close Gallery button (displayed in place of the Expand Gallery button after the gallery has been expanded) will return the user to the gallery's embedding page.

- access the home page of the site (when the gallery is accessed from a search engine or an external link).

This, as you suggest, can be achieved with the Back Button. Please see here for a list of Back Button configuration options.

And if a hijacked use of the gallery title can fill this gap (add a link...

You can certainly add a link to a Gallery Title using HTML formatting as noted in this FAQ:
How do I add HTML formatting to the Gallery Title or Back Button?

... to avoid that the gallery title overlaps with the home page button icon!

You can use different values for backButtonPosition/backButtonHAlign and galleryTitlePosition/galleryTitleHAlign to ensure that the Back Button and Gallery Title do not overlap one another.

Steven,
Thanks for the reply.
I probably misspoke (confused and low level of English).
I try again!

When a Juicebox gallery is embedded as Full Browser and fills 100% x 100% of the browser window, the only user interface is the Juicebox gallery's one. In this case (e.g. using the html page created by Juicebox Builder Pro), there is no Close Gallery button (that is normal) and the natural way to leave this gallery is the top left Back button (icon or text). Is this correct?
The Back button allows either to go back to the previous page (history.back method by default) or to specify an url (homepage for example). Is this correct?

Using a Juicebox gallery page embedded as Full Browser, I wish the user to be able to :
- return to the previous page when the gallery page is accessed from the site where it is located,
- access the home page of the site when the gallery page is accessed from a search engine or an external link.
To do that, I use the Back button icon to return to the previous page and the Gallery Title to access the home page.
When the Gallery Title HAlign is left (that's what I wish), the gallery title overlaps with the Back button icon and the only way to avoid that is to use spaces to shift the gallery title. I've done that but it's a little tricky and generates some problems (e.g. in mobile ssm mode, the Galerie Title is not on the true left of the page).

So my request is two Back buttons : a previous page button and a home page button.

Best regards.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand your suggestion better now.

When a Juicebox gallery is embedded as Full Browser and fills 100% x 100% of the browser window, the only user interface is the Juicebox gallery's one. In this case (e.g. using the html page created by Juicebox Builder Pro), there is no Close Gallery button (that is normal) and the natural way to leave this gallery is the top left Back button (icon or text). Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. There is no Close Gallery button in a gallery that has not been expanded.

The Back button allows either to go back to the previous page (history.back method by default) or to specify an url (homepage for example). Is this correct?

Yes. That is also correct.

Hi

I suggest to show a "done" button pop-up when ->publish ->save is ready

regards Peter

Feature request (for Juicebox-Pro equivalent to SimpleViewer-Pro's thumbNavStyle="NUMERIC") from Theorangepaper (original thread):

Navigation tool for thumb pages

Created with svBuilder-Pro I had a gallery of 2,626 historic Spanish orange crate labels diaplayed in my virtual Orange Wrapper Museum OPIUM www.opiummuseum.de. On the left hand side I definded a thumb area of 6 x 8 resulting in 55 thumb pages. Below the thumbs I placed a small navigation bar which gave the visitor direct access to any of the 55 thumb pages and thereby to any of the 2,626 main images. A visitor could easily arrive at any rear part of this large gallery or even hop to its very end.

It seems to me that there is no comparable  navigation tool available in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro. To arrive at rear parts of a gallery or even hop to its end one has to sequentially run through the main images or at least through the thumb pages. In small galleries this might not be overly important. But the larger a gallery gets the more it becomes tedious and time demanding to run through it sequentially and the more important would it be to have random access to all images of the gallery. I therefore suggest to add a complete small navigation tool across the thumbs to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.

To clarify what I mean I have prepared a comparison of a small gallery with 231 images only created with svBuilder-Pro with the same gallery created with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro. You can view it here, if you want: www.opiummuseum.de/spankist.vergleich.htm . But please imagine the gallery had not 231, but 2,626 entries.

Dirik von Oettingen
Germany

I use the LiteSpeed Cache plugin in Wordpress.
There is a wonderful option for automatic image optimization.
To increase the loading speed of the images, you can select the space-saving WebP instead of .jpg.

Google frequently requests WebP (see attachment at the bottom).
Perhaps there is a way to support WebP, or even better, the option of automatically converting jpg to WebP.

Best regards
kdf

Post's attachments

Juicebox_WebP.pdf 91.16 kb, 5 downloads since 2020-02-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I was wondering why this program has not received an update in over 3 years.  Is it no longer being updated or supported with new versions?

@franklomax

It has, indeed, been a while since the last release but please let me reassure you that Juicebox is still actively being developed and supported.
The next version will likely be a bug-fix version, rather than introducing new features. Work has started on the next version but progress is rather slow (and I do not know when it will be released).
However, I hope to see a new release soon, just as much as you do!

Support of webp image format in the next release

Better small screen rendering. On my Android, even with 720x1560 pixels, 6.40-inch screen, there is no scrolling for overflow images; or two finger resizing or captions. YMMV.

Still one of the best out there.

DX2300

@DX2300

Thank you for the suggestions!
Your feedback is genuinely very welcome.

I just though I''d make some notes regarding the points you make.
I know my notes will not help to resolve any of the issues you raise but I thought I'd share some information on these topics as some background information may be helpful to others reading this thread.

there is no scrolling for overflow images

If the gallery is a full-page gallery (or if you expand the gallery so that it fills the viewport), then as long as you set imageScaleMode="SCALE" or imageScaleMode="SCALE_DOWN", the images should be displayed in their entirety, respecting their aspect ratios and without any cropping.

I understand that in such a scenario, you might want to zoom into an image but, as you are aware, there are issues with pinch-zooming...

... or two finger resizing or captions.

Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to pinch-zoom within a Juicebox gallery as a pinch-zoom gesture can often be misinterpreted as the start of a navigation swipe within the gallery (so, for a full-page or expanded gallery, Juicebox locks the viewport of the web page to avoid such issues).
There is no easy solution to make Juicebox gallery images easily zoom-able. (Juicebox does not have any built-in zoom functionality.)

If you'd like to zoom into an image, then the best course of action is to open the image on a page of its own first via the gallery's 'Open Image' button (by setting showOpenButton="TRUE" in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Lite' section) or by tapping/clicking the main image (when setting imageClickMode="OPEN_URL" in the 'Customize -> Main Image' section).
Once the image is displayed on a page of its own, it can be zoomed with ease (and without adversely affecting the gallery itself).
Of course, afterwards, you need to use the browser's own back button (or tab/window selection tool) to return to the gallery page.
(I realise that this will help only with the image itself and not its caption text. Your feature requests are valid!)

Still one of the best out there.

Thanks! We're glad you like it! :)

Speaking of small screens...

I was just on the Juicebox home page and noticed this:
https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/01/31/responsive.th.png

Do I have my galleries setup incorrectly? No control buttons for me.

DX2300

@DX2300

The mock-up on the home page is not a 100% accurate representation of the same gallery across different devices (at least not a gallery with default configuration settings).

In Small Screen Mode, the thumbnail icon (to switch between the thumbnail and main image pages) is a 3 x 3 grid of nine dots.
In Large Screen Mode, the thumbnail icon (to toggle the thumbnails on and off) is is small representation of a main image with 3 thumbnails below (i.e. the thumbnail icon seen on the smallest device in the mock-up).

The other icon seen in the mock-up is the Open Image button which will be displayed is you set showOpenButton="TRUE".

You would see what you see on the smallest device in the mock-up if you set the following configuration options:

screenMode="LARGE"
showOpenButton="TRUE"
showThumbsOnLoad="FALSE"
showThumbsButton="TRUE"

You'd also need to set imageScaleMode="FILL" to have the image fill the viewport (with cropping) as seen in the mock-up.

It would be great to have support for 360 degree images (jpg)

please add 360 degree images support

It would be great if Juicebox-Pro used all payment systems, according to the example - https://corefy.com/
I've been using Corefy for my business for over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Their payment processing system is easy to use and has saved me a lot of time and money.

@Lyle Adderiy

You can set up your own payment pages (using whatever payment system you like) and then point towards them from within your Juicebox-Pro gallery using purchaseURL entries in your gallery's configuration file.
Please see here for details: Shopping Cart (scroll down to the 'Using Custom Purchase URLs' section).

Feature request from InVietDung (original thread):

I'd like an option to leave the Back Button text or image visible and functional when the Back positioning is OVERLAY and the Hide Information nav button is invoked. While the Back Button position can be TOP, using that positioning cuts down on the size of the main image (when the nav buttons are positioned in OVERLAY, anyway), so is not a desirable solution for me. And of course the nav buttons themselves are still visible when hiding information; in OVERLAY, the Back area is at the same height as the nav buttons, and I think typically will be over on the left - just as the nav buttons will be over on the right - and so will not interfere with viewing the main image any more than the nav buttons. That is, I'd like an option such that Hide Information works only on the "lower" info, e.g., the caption.

Cheers,

Bill

496 (edited by fkelly12054 2023-04-19 15:14:16)

There have been quite a few requests for webp support already but I'll add mine.  I'm working on the Drupal Juicebox module trying to get it ready for Drupal 10.  All versions of Drupal below 10 expire at the end of this year so there is understandably quite a rush to get this done.  We already have a test version of Juicebox for Drupal 10 running and are trying to iron out any kinks.  Since Drupal now supports webp we'd like to also. 

It appears from one answer in your forums that your Javascript program would display a webp image if it was listed in the xml file.  But your JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (and I'm assuming LITE) doesn't support building an xml with webp images.  So a separate step would be needed to "edit" the xml.  And the user would have had to created two sets of files:  one jpg and the other webp.  This would be time-consuming and error prone.

Edit:  update.  After getting JBPRO working (another topic) I created a gallery with a handful of images ... all jpgs.  Tested and it worked fine.  Used photoshop to create webp versions of all the images and corresponding thumbnails.  Used an editor to edit the xml file changing all ".jpg" to ."webp."  That's straightforward enough.  Loaded both versions of the gallery and all the jpg and webp images to a local Drupal test site.  Both versions of the gallery display fine.  So this works.  It would still be so much better if JBPRO supported webp from the outset.