Re: very first publish fails on simple test page !!

Here are two things to try:

(1) Make sure that your WP-Juicebox installation is using Juicebox-Pro (and not Juicebox-Lite which it comes bundled with). Juicebox-Pro configuration options such as galleryTitlePosition are not supported by Juicebox-Lite. You can check which version of Juicebox (Lite vs Pro) your WP-Juicebox installation uses by looking at the "WP-Juicebox" menu label in the WordPress dashboard. It'll read either "WP-Juicebox (Lite)" or "WP-Juicebox (Pro)" (as long as you're using the latest version of WP-Juicebox (v1.5.1.2). Also, if you are using Juicebox-Lite, then your gallery will have a Juicebox logo in the lower right corner.
If you are using Juicebox-Lite, then in order to use Juicebox-Pro configuration options, you'll need to upgrade your WP-Juicebox installation to use Juicebox-Pro by following the Upgrading to Juicebox-Pro instructions here.

(2) After changing your gallery settings, try completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page to ensure that your browser is not still using older cached versions of your gallery files.

Incidentally, the link you posted previously (https://www.stevezavodny.com/blog/galle … index.html) shows a gallery with no gallery title, no captions and a single column of thumbnails to the left of the main image (it looks like what you are aiming for) so, if you do not see this yourself, then the problem is likely a browser caching issue and clearing your browser's cache (or using a different browser) should show you the gallery as you expect it to be displayed.

27 (edited by steve zee 2020-09-03 19:27:13)

aaaiee Stephen, How can this be so difficult?
I did what you said.  First of all I dont understand why I had
juicebox lite in there, since I bought Pro and used that folder?

See screen shots to puzzle out why stuff does not seem to conform to all the directions.
Seeking 1 column of thumbs on the left, main images to the right of them. 
Even when I exchange "6" and "1", nothing changes.  I delete cache.

Why does trhge attachment say
" 115.55 kb, file has never been downloaded"

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 1.14.13 PM.jpg 115.55 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

First of all I dont understand why I had
juicebox lite in there, since I bought Pro and used that folder?

If you were using Juicebox-Lite, then it could have been due to a WP-Juicebox upgrade.
WP-Juicebox comes bundled with Juicebox-Lite and if you upgrade WP-Juicebox, your Pro 'jbcore' folder will be overwritten with the Lite version.
Reinstating your Pro files is a simple task of uploading your Pro 'jbcore' folder (from your Juicebox-Pro zip file) to your 'wp-juicebox' directory (which should take less than a minute of your time). (You could also just remove the Lite 'jbcore' folder from the WP-Juicebox package before upgrading to prevent your Pro 'jbcore' folder from being overwritten.)

See screen shots to puzzle out why stuff does not seem to conform to all the directions.

The screenshot of your gallery does seem to conform to the screenshot of your gallery settings window. (The screenshot of your gallery windows shows maxThumbRows="1" and maxThumbColumns="6" and this is displayed in the screenshot of your gallery.)

Even when I exchange "6" and "1", nothing changes.  I delete cache.

Setting maxThumbRows="6" and maxThumbColumns="1" will definitely make a difference.

If it does not seem to make a difference for yourself, then the problem is almost certainly a caching issue.
After making changes on an 'Edit Gallery' page, make sure that you click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page and if you do not see the changes you expect to see, make sure that you are 100% certain that you have completely cleared your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page. (Sometimes refreshing the page with F5 or even Ctrl+F5 is not enough.)

I've just double-checked all this by creating a sample gallery in WP-Juicebox v1.5.1.2 (using Juicebox-Pro v1.5.1) using maxThumbRows="6", maxThumbColumns="1" and thumbsPosition="LEFT". The gallery displayed as expected. I then edited the gallery (on the 'Manage Galleries' page and swapped the '1' and the '6'. Again, the gallery displayed as expected (with the rows and columns swapped).

If clearing your browser's cache does not help, then maybe the issue is with server-side caching. Your web host could perhaps have server-side caching enabled on your hosting account and, even though files have changed, your web server could still be serving older versions of these files for a certain period of time.
Please check in with your web host and ask if they have server-side caching enabled on your hosting account and, if so, ask if they would be willing to remove it.
Caching can certainly be useful but it can also sometimes be a hindrance to development.

Why does trhge attachment say
" 115.55 kb, file has never been downloaded"

If you click on the attachment link, the image will be displayed. Below the image, you'll see a download link. Each time the image is downloaded via this link, the download counter is incremented by one. (Most people will be content with viewing the image in place and will not download it.)