Topic: Unable to run JBPro 1.5

I had previously run into a snag that prevented  JB Pro from running for me. See:
https://juicebox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

(This topic is marked solved, because JB worked for about 3 launches after I posted and then stopped again, so I gave up.)

Basically it gets to the opening screen, and then the buttons don't respond. I've tried all the usual instal fixes, and some unusual as well. As I say, I had given up, but I noticed the new version and thought I'd give it a try.

I uninstalled the old version, deleted all mentions of JB Pro I could find, deleted the the files in the Adobe AIR ELS folder, ejected external drives, uninstalled and re-installed Adobe AIR, restarted my computer, install the new JB Pro, and, sadly, it still won't work.
Is there any hope for me?

Re: Unable to run JBPro 1.5

It sounds like you've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Have you tried both JuiceboxBuilder-Lite v1.5.0 and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.0?
Does the problem happen with both?
If it happens with one but not the other then there could be a problem with the files associated with the particular application that fails and uninstalling and clearing all the files for that application should help (in theory).
If it happens with both, then there could be a problem with some shared code (such as the Adobe AIR platform itself).
I'm not sure it's going to point towards a solution but it might be interesting to know.

Have you checked to see if you have any anti-virus or security software installed that might somehow be interfering with the functionality of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro?
Try temporarily disabling whatever security software you have to see if this makes a difference. (Be sure to disconnect from the internet first.)
If this works, you should hopefully be able to make an exception in your security software to ensure that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is not adversely affected.

It's a long shot but in the absence of knowing what is causing your problem, I would not rule anything out.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have now tried Lite, but that didn't work either.

I'm not running any security software.

Would it do any good to send you my install logs from this morning?

I have now tried Lite, but that didn't work either.

I'm not running any security software.

Thanks for the additional information.
It sounds like there's some underlying problem on your system (Adobe AIR?) affecting both JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro but I'm as puzzled as you are as to what it might be.

On the Troubleshoot Adobe AIR installation for Mac OS page, the only thing that sounds like it might be related to the problem you are having is this:

The user interface / window does not appear when running an Adobe AIR application, the Adobe AIR installer, or the Adobe AIR uninstaller.

Check the locale settings to see if Latin American Spanish (es-419) is in the list.  Incorrect settings trigger an esoteric bug that can cause the behavior described in the Adobe AIR installer and uninstaller, and in some Adobe AIR applications.

It's another long shot but, again, worth checking out.

Would it do any good to send you my install logs from this morning?

I'd be happy to take a look at them. Please check your email. I've sent you a message. Thank you.

6 (edited by John Nolan 2016-06-01 11:11:55)

Hi Steven:
I've sent you the logs.

I noticed that about the locale settings too, but I don't know how to check them. (i.e. I have no idea what they're talking about!)

Many thanks for providing the logs.
I'll take a look at them and email you back.

For general information: this issue seems to be a symptom of some instability in my particular system, rather than a Juicebox glitch.

Do you have a different machine you can try?

Yes, I've run it successfully from my wife's laptop.

As I mentioned in my last email, you could perhaps try using Time Machine to wind your computer back to a time before the problems began (or at least were evident). This might help.
Also, if you can target and fix the other problem you mentioned (regarding safe mode), then this might also help. The safe mode and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro problems might somehow be related.

Hi.

On further investigation, it looks like the problem may be due to opening a gallery located in a Google Drive synced folder.

I have been able to replicate very similar symptoms by opening a gallery from Google Drive: an unresponsive 'New Gallery...' button and an 'Open Gallery...' button which opens the 'Select Gallery Folder...' dialog but does not actually open a gallery.

To clear the problem (on a Windows 10 PC), the solution appears to be to close JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and manually delete the following folder:
C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\.tempGallery
(On a Mac, search for .tempGallery, make sure the search result is inside a parent folder named 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro' and delete the folder.)

Also, to avoid this problem, I would recommend that you open your galleries from folders that are not synced to online file sharing services (such as Google Drive). If your gallery folders are stored on Google Drive, you could perhaps copy them to your desktop before opening them in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.

A quick question for you:
Could you please let me know if your problem occurred after trying to open a gallery from Google Drive?
The more information we can gather regarding this issue, the better.
Many thanks!

I don't think the problem was related to Google Drive. I got a new machine and the problem went away. By then I had pretty well given up, and it took me a little while to even try Juicebox again.

Thank you for getting back to me with the additional information. It's most appreciated.

If any users reading this thread are experiencing similar issues (unresponsive 'Start' tab buttons) but are not using Google Drive, then it might still be worth trying the fix that clears the Google Drive program (to manually delete the .tempGallery folder). There may be another trigger to the problem (other than Google Drive) but if the symptoms are the same, the solution might also be the same.

I realise that this is more of a workaround (to just get JuiceboxBuilder-Pro back up and running) rather than a solution (to allow a gallery to be opened from a Google Drive synced folder) but the developers are aware of the issue and are investigating further.

Hopefully the temporary fix will help some users out in the meantime.