Topic: Visual Artist web site [SOLVED]

I am looking for a solution to allow me to revamp my wife's website artbyjudy.com and noticed this site
http://stanwenocurart.com/abstract-work/

Is this possible using Juicebox-lite Is it possible to try it to see if I like it.

I certainly have no problem spending to buy the full license even the Showkase license if I find I like the results.

Also is Showkase easier to use? What are the differences between Juicebox and Showkase?

Can you show me links to other visual artist sites using your products?

Re: Visual Artist web site [SOLVED]

The website you quoted was created with Showkase-Pro and the Juicebox galleries within the site use certain Pro configuration options which are not available to Juicebox-Lite (the free version. However, you would certainly be able to get a close approximation to these galleries with Juicebox-Lite, though (for example a single row of thumbnails below the main image and a unique caption for each image is certainly possible with Juicebox-Lite).

To see what can be done with Juicebox-Lite and Juicebox-Pro, we have several demo galleries here.
You can download Juicebox-Lite from the download page.

Unfortunately, we do not have a trial version of Juicebox-Pro but we do offer a money-back guarantee. Please see this FAQ for details:
Can I try a trial version of Juicebox-Pro?

What are the differences between Juicebox and Showkase?

With Juicebox, you would be able to create as many individual galleries as you like but you might need to manually embed them into web pages following the instructions here.

If you are looking for an automated solution to creating and listing multiple galleries or a way to create a complete website, then Showkase would be more suitable.

Showkase is a PHP web application which allows you to create a complete portfolio website (integrating multiple galleries) online.
Showkase has full support for Juicebox-Pro (and SimpleViewer-Pro) galleries and the galleries can be created within the application itself in a web browser interface (or created with JuiceboxBuilder and imported).

Showkase can also create non-gallery pages (About, Basic and Contact pages) where you can add information about yourself (or any other content you like).

Showkase can be purchased as Showkase-Standard (which comes with Juicebox-Lite and SimpleViewer-Standard, the free versions) or Showkase-Pro (which comes with Juicebox-Pro and SimpleViewer-Pro).
The only difference between Showkase-Standard and Showkase-Pro is the bundled viewers.

More information on the differences between Juicebox and Showkase can be found in this forum post.

Hopefully this will answer any queries you may have. If you have any further questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Also is Showkase easier to use?

When using Showkase, creating and editing pages and embedding galleries is all done automatically within the Showkase interface without the need for any manual coding at all.

Like Juicebox-Pro, there is no trial version of Showkase but, again, we offer a money-back guarantee (as noted in the FAQ below).
Can I try a trial version of Showkase?

Can you show me links to other visual artist sites using your products?

As well as the demo Showkase sites on our own site, we have links to other sites created by Showkase users on our Facebook page, in our Twitter feed and in this blog post.

3 (edited by goldberry 2016-04-05 01:55:20)

Thanks for the detailed response.

After reviewing demos and reading your material several more questions please.

Juicebox-lite indicates multiple galleries are possible. To produce this do you need to link to the galleries from a separate web page and is the gallery then embedded and if so can the size be adjusted? Does http://www.juicebox.net/demos/support/r … /gallery1/ require pro or can it be produced in the lite version?

After producing and testing on local PC is anything other than the juicebox folder  required on web site to  publish?

Is this site http://raymondprins.com/travel/greece/ an example of multiple gallleries using Juicebox-lite?

With ShowKase do you put the program on your web site and do all changes and build their?

Juicebox-lite indicates multiple galleries are possible. To produce this do you need to link to the galleries from a separate web page and is the gallery then embedded and if so can the size be adjusted?

With Juicebox-Lite (and Juicebox-Pro), you would be able to create as many individual galleries as you like.
You could choose to link directly to the full-size gallery pages (the 'index.html' pages created by JuiceboxBuilder) or embed the galleries in existing web pages alongside other content (following the embedding instructions here).

However, if you would like to link multiple galleries together (with a menu of gallery names or thumbnails, for example), then you would need to do so manually following the instructions and examples in the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section.

You can set the gallery dimensions (to be fixed pixel values or percentages of a parent container) in both Juicebox-Lite and Juicebox-Pro.

Does http://www.juicebox.net/demos/support/r … /gallery1/ require pro or can it be produced in the lite version?

The galleries on this demo page are Juicebox-Lite galleries but there is no automated way to create such a web page with either Juicebox-Lite or Juicebox-Pro. You would need to download the files used to create the web page and modify them to suit your own needs.

After producing and testing on local PC is anything other than the juicebox folder  required on web site to  publish?

A Juicebox gallery created by JuiceboxBuilder is completely self-contained within the gallery folder.
Juicebox does not use files from elsewhere or from any external servers (except if you use a Flickr account as a source of images).
(If you choose to embed a gallery in an existing web page, then you would need to add the embedding code to the web page that you want the gallery to be displayed in.)

Is this site http://raymondprins.com/travel/greece/ an example of multiple gallleries using Juicebox-lite?

Yes. The user has embedded multiple Juicebox-Lite galleries into separate WordPress pages using the Origami theme.

With ShowKase do you put the program on your web site and do all changes and build their?

Yes. Showkase is installed on your web server (not your computer) and the interface is accessed via a web browser.
You can check out the Showkase interface by logging into the Live Demo Admin area here.

Does http://www.juicebox.net/demos/support/r … /gallery1/ require pro or can it be produced in the lite version?

The galleries on this demo page are Juicebox-Lite galleries but there is no automated way to create such a web page with either Juicebox-Lite or Juicebox-Pro. You would need to download the files used to create the web page and modify them to suit your own needs.

If I wanted to test these files how do I get them.

Thanks

The files used to create the multiple gallery demo pages are not available as a download package. (They are there as an example of what can be achieved rather than a ready-to-use template that users can download and use.)
You would need to view the web page in your browser and go to 'File -> Save Page As...' (in your browser's menu) to save the HTML page.
You would also need to make sure that you downloaded the 'jb.vertical.template.css' CSS resource file that the example uses.
You could then swap the sample galleries for your own and modify the header and footer content if necessary.

Here is an alternative, automated one-page solution that you could try.
First of all, create a few (two or three) sample galleries with JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.
Save them in gallery folders named 'gallery1', 'gallery2', etc.
Now use the code below to create an HTML file (in a plain text editor), name the file whatever you like, place it in the same directory as the gallery folders and open it in a browser.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta name="viewport" id="jb-viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" />
        <style type="text/css">
            html, body {
                height: 100%;
                overflow: hidden;
            }
            body {
                background-color: #222222;
                margin: 0px;
            }
            #header {
                color: #666666;
                font-family: sans-serif;
                font-size: 20px;
                padding: 10px 0px;
                text-align: center;
                width: 100%;
            }
            #page {
                font-size: 30px;
            }
            #menu {
                padding: 10px 40px 0px 40px;
            }
            #footer {
                bottom: 0px;
                color: #666666;
                font-family: sans-serif;
                font-size: 20px;
                left: 0px;
                position: relative;
                text-align: center;
                width: 100%;
            }
            #wrap {
                margin: 0 auto;
                width: 80%;
            }
            .gallery {
                cursor: pointer;
            }
            a.gallery:hover {
                color: #888888;
            }
        </style>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="gallery1/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">

// Initialize Juicebox object variable name
            var jb;

// Function to process all galleries
            function doProcess(counter) {
                $.get('gallery' + counter + '/config.xml', function(data) {

// Build gallery folder name
                    var name = 'gallery' + counter;

// Create space between links
                    if (counter > 1) {
                        $('#menu').append($('<span />').html('&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'));
                    }

// Fetch Gallery Title from gallery XML file
                    var title = $.trim($(data).find('juiceboxgallery').attr('galleryTitle')) || 'Untitled';

// Fetch Gallery Description from gallery XML file
                    var description = $.trim($(data).find('juiceboxgallery').attr('galleryDescription')) || '';

// Add link to Document Object Model and register click handler to run loadGallery and doLayout functions when link is clicked
                    $('#menu').append($('<a />').attr('id', name).addClass('gallery').html(title).click(function() {
                        loadGallery(name, description);
                        doLayout();
                    }));

// Initially load first gallery
                    if (counter === 1) {
                        loadGallery(name, description);
                    }
                }).done(function() {

// Process next gallery
                    doProcess(++counter);
                }).fail(function() {

// Display message if no galleries found
                    if (counter === 1) {
                        $('#menu').append($('<span />').text('No galleries found.'));
                    }

// Show header and footer when all galleries have been processed
                    $('#header, #footer').css('visibility', 'visible');

// Layout page and resize gallery
                    doLayout();
                });
            }

// Function to layout page and resize gallery
            function doLayout() {
                var windowHeight = parseInt(window.innerHeight ? window.innerHeight : $(window).height());
                var headerHeight = parseInt($('#header').outerHeight(true));
                var footerHeight = parseInt($('#footer').outerHeight(true));
                var galleryHeight = windowHeight - headerHeight - footerHeight;
                $('#wrap').height(galleryHeight);
                if (jb) {
                    var galleryWidth = parseInt($('#wrap').innerWidth());
                    jb.setGallerySize(galleryWidth, galleryHeight);
                }
            }

// Function to load gallery, underline selected link and display Gallery Description in page footer
            function loadGallery(base, desc) {

// Load gallery
                jb = new juicebox({
                    backgroundColor: "#222222",
                    baseUrl: base + "/",
                    containerId: "juicebox-container",
                    galleryHeight: "100%",
                    galleryWidth: "100%"
                });

// Underline selected link
                $('.gallery').css('text-decoration', 'none');
                $('#' + base).css('text-decoration', 'underline');

// Display Gallery Description in page footer
                $('#description').css('padding', desc ? '10px 40px' : '0px').html(desc);
            }

// Run following when Document Object Model is complete
            $(document).ready(function() {

// Enter Page Title here
                var page = "Multiple Galleries";

// Display Page Title in browser tab
                document.title = page;

// Display Page Title in page header
                $('#page').html(page);

// Hide header and footer until all galleries have been processed
                $('#header, #footer').css('visibility', 'hidden');

// Process all galleries
                doProcess(1);

// Register resize handler to run doLayout function when browser window is resized
                $(window).resize(doLayout);
            });
        </script>
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div id="header">
            <div id="page"></div>
            <div id="menu"></div>
        </div>
        <div id="wrap">
            <div id="juicebox-container"></div>
        </div>
        <div id="footer">
            <div id="description"></div>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>

The links to each of the galleries are the gallery titles and the gallery description (Pro only) is displayed below the selected gallery.

(With Showkase, multiple galleries can be listed on Gallery Index Pages without any manual coding at all.)

7 (edited by goldberry 2016-04-07 18:35:47)

Thanks for all the  help Steven appreciate your detailed responses.

I may be little confused as to the difference between Juicebox-pro and Showkase.

For example the demo sites shown  such as the Sarah Lee site on ShowKase seem to be all made using Juicebox-pro and created from a browser linking to the website.

Can Sarah lee template be created on local PC for upload using Juicebox-pro.

Does using Juicebox-pro give more flexibilty in designing a website than ShowKase which is limited to 3 themes.

On the Paul Bica template the listing of links to galleries etc. is on the left. It shows four. I assume the list could contain more, is the number limited to what would look okay on the page?

Are the fonts that are used on the Showkase theme builds interchangeable? Can you upload special fonts that the program will use?

If I decide to completely change the theme from say Kosel to Boma can that be done.

Is there any ability using Showkase to alter the visual theme. For example on the index home page and other pages can the name be placed by an image or is the Sarah lee only changeable by font?

Will the Showkase program work on any hosted site? We are with https://hostmatters.com/

Lastly if I started by purchasing Juicebox-pro and then decided I wanted the simplicity of Showkase do I just pay for the standard license and use my Juicebox-pro license with it?

For example the demo sites shown  such as the Sarah Lee site on ShowKase seem to be all made using Juicebox-pro and created from a browser linking to the website.

The Sarah Lee demo site was created with Showkase. The Juicebox galleries within the site were all created within the Showkase interface. Juicebox accounts for just the galleries within the site, nothing more, nothing less. The rest of the web site (the header, footer, navigation menu, About page and Contact page) are all unique to Showkase and cannot be created with Juicebox (Lite or Pro).

Can Sarah lee template be created on local PC for upload using Juicebox-pro.

No. Showkase is a PHP web application and can be installed and used only on a web server. It cannot be used locally on a computer to create a web site (to be uploaded to a web server at a later date).

Does using Juicebox-pro give more flexibilty in designing a website than ShowKase which is limited to 3 themes.

The Showkase themes are completely independent of Juicebox-Pro. They set the look and feel of the web pages.
If you create a Juicebox-Pro gallery within Showkase, then you have access to all the Juicebox-Pro configuration options within the Showkase interface.
The Juicebox-Pro configuration options are the same whether the Juicebox-Pro gallery is part of a Showkase site or not.

On the Paul Bica template the listing of links to galleries etc. is on the left.

Yes. The Paul Bica demo uses the Boma theme (which uses a side menu).

It shows four. I assume the list could contain more, is the number limited to what would look okay on the page?

There is no limit to the number of galleries that you can list on each Gallery Index Page. If you have many, you might just need to scroll down the page to see them all listed in the menu, although you can choose to have the top-level menu entries collapsible (for example gallery pages names only visible when a Gallery Index Page is selected) if you like. (The menu in the Paul Bica demo just happens to not be collapsible.)

Are the fonts that are used on the Showkase theme builds interchangeable? Can you upload special fonts that the program will use?

Each theme has its own selection of fonts which you can choose from ('Site -> Custom Theme -> Fonts') but you can use a custom font by following the Adding Custom Styles and Fonts instructions.

If I decide to completely change the theme from say Kosel to Boma can that be done.

Yes. You can change your site's theme in just a couple of clicks ('Site -> Change Theme -> Select (link) -> Publish (button)').
You can swap themes quickly and easily (as many times as you like) to see how your site looks under each theme.

Is there any ability using Showkase to alter the visual theme.

Yes. Please see the Basic Customization and Creating Themes support sections for further details.

For example on the index home page and other pages can the name be placed by an image or is the Sarah lee only changeable by font?

All three themes support using an image logo as an addition to (or an alternative to) a text heading.
You can upload an image to the Showkase Library and then select the image in the 'Site -> Customize Theme -> Logo' section.

Will the Showkase program work on any hosted site?

Please see the Showkase System Requirements for details. There is a Showkase Server Compatibility Test that you can download and run on your web server to check that it has all the features Showkase needs.

Lastly if I started by purchasing Juicebox-pro and then decided I wanted the simplicity of Showkase do I just pay for the standard license and use my Juicebox-pro license with it?

Yes. If you were an existing Juicebox-Pro user, then you could purchase Showkase-Standard and use your Juicebox-Pro files by following the Installing a Pro Viewer instructions.
The only difference between Showkase-Standard and Showkase-Pro is that Showkase-Standard comes bundled with Juicebox-Lite and SimpleViewer-Standard (the free versions of the image viewers) whereas Showkase-Pro comes bundled with Juicebox-Pro and SimpleViewer-Pro.

9 (edited by goldberry 2016-04-08 01:03:31)

Thanks for the additional info. I think we are going to purchase the ShowKase - Pro.

I have installed the test folder sktest and ran the tests. It indicated the basic PHP was fine but the file handling test showed numerous errors. I contacted mt Website host and they dis something and the tests all then performed okay. This is what they told me

"Those settings tend to be top-down, inherited from the main subfolder. We've done a recursive reset, and the test script comes up with everything passing. It may need to be like that for the initial install, and afterward probably will not require everything to be that way. We can reset things post-install if need be."

I assume from this that after I instal ShowKase something may again need to be reset but then the program should work fine. I assume the actual website files when created should run fine.

Can the program be used to also run a separate site on the same server or are you only allowed one installation?

How does the program deal with security? Once Showcase is installed is there a password system to ensure someone else cannot access the program, make changes and publish?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

I assume from this that after I instal ShowKase something may again need to be reset but then the program should work fine. I assume the actual website files when created should run fine.

Without knowing what the errors were, I cannot be sure what might (or might not) need to be changed.
If the Showkase Server Compatibility Test passes OK at the moment, then it is likely that Showkase will run fine with your current settings (but it sounds like your web hosts will help you change anything if necessary).

Can the program be used to also run a separate site on the same server or are you only allowed one installation?

Please see these FAQs:
How many websites can I use Showkase on?
Does a single domain license cover multiple subdomains?
With a single license, you can have as many separate Showkase sites as you like on a single domain (and all associated subdomains). Just install each Showkase site into a unique folder and each site will be self-contained in its own folder.

How does the program deal with security? Once Showcase is installed is there a password system to ensure someone else cannot access the program, make changes and publish?

Each Showkase site requires a username and password to log in to the admin section (to create or edit pages).
See the Live Demo Admin login page as an example.
Once installed, you can change the username and password in the 'System -> Change Log-in' section.

Looking at the Juicebox-pro demos I notice http://www.juicebox.net/demos/pro/top/#1 and http://www.juicebox.net/demos/pro/simple/

Is it possible to make adjustments to these galleries? For example the pro top has the thumbs on the right and on my screen uses only the left half of the screen not centred or using full screen. Can the thumbs be on the left and can the gallery comprise the whole screen? The simple gallery leaves a lot of space between the thumbs and the main image which seems small, again are these spaces and size adjustable?

Is it possible to make adjustments to these galleries?

Yes, absolutely.
The demo galleries are just examples of what can be achieved. They are not the only layouts that can be used.
You can use any or all of the available Configuration Options to customize your gallery as you like.

For example the pro top has the thumbs on the right and on my screen uses only the left half of the screen not centred or using full screen.

That's just because the gallery has fixed dimensions of 1000px x 1000px. You can choose the width and height for your own gallery using either fixed pixel values or percentages (of the gallery's parent container) and choose where to position the gallery on your own web page.

Can the thumbs be on the left...

Yes. Set thumbsPosition="LEFT". You can then also set maxThumbColumns and maxThumbRows.
A complete list of all Thumbnail Options can be found here.

... and can the gallery comprise the whole screen?

Yes. You just set your galleryWidth and galleryHeight to both be 100% (and make sure that there is no other content on your web page).

The simple gallery leaves a lot of space between the thumbs and the main image which seems small, again are these spaces and size adjustable?

The Simple demo actually uses quite small images (the first image is only 640px x 415px) and the default value of imageScaleMode="SCALE_DOWN", which scales donw large images (if necessary) but does not scale up small images.
If you were creating a gallery of your own, you could use larger images or set imageScaleMode="SCALE" to reduce the space between the thumbnails and the main images.
Depending on gallery dimensions and page layouts, Juicebox galleries are usually responsive and the gallery elements are positioned automatically depending on the size and shape of the gallery (which can often be determined by the size and shape of the user's browser window). For this reason, it is not possible to specify exact dimensions for gaps between gallery elements.

Thanks once again.

I have purchased the pro license and will play around with it. I am sure to have more questions but will open a new topic if needed in the pro forum

Thanks once again.

You're welcome!

I have purchased the pro license and will play around with it. I am sure to have more questions but will open a new topic if needed in the pro forum

No problem.