Topic: Disconnected captions

I suppose this is just feedback not a problem, because it's consistent and so I assume it's what you're going for... I think it's very strange that the captions just kind of float around not attached to anything apparently. The way that it is now, the captions either look like an overlay on the photo (as it appears in the embedded demo on the Juicebox site here http://juicebox.net/demos/lite/embedded/) or a banner that stretches across the page (as it appears in the full screen demo on the Juicebox site here http://juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/).

I can't see the advantage of not restricting it to the photo as the text will often look strange transitioning from the background to the image and out the other side. And it's not possible to control exactly how that's going to happen depending on the exact caption among other factors.

But the bigger 'problem' (in my opinion) is the way that it drifts down below the image. It seems the only way to avoid this is by guessing the correct gallery height for the given size image. or using large images that can't grow to fill a large amount of space. But even with large images the caption will drift when if a visitor zooms out of the page, using that feature of the browser.

If this is by design then I guess all I can do is say that I'd prefer it didn't work this way. (And modify the style myself.) I'm only here because I thought for sure that I must have made a mistake until I saw the same thing on the Juicebox demo galleries.

So I'm just leaving this as feedback.

Love Juicebox overall. And I'm looking forward to using it regularly. In fact I hope to buy the Pro version once I resolve a few small issues (for me) like this.

Re: Disconnected captions

Try setting the 'captionPosition' option to 'BELOW_IMAGE'. That should do what you describe.

The captions use an overlay by default because this is the best option across various image sizes, screen sizes and caption sizes. For example on smaller screens (e.g. iPad), you dont want the captions below the image because this would remove valuable screen space for the main image, especially if the caption is long (multi-line).

Try setting the 'captionPosition' option to 'BELOW_IMAGE'. That should do what you describe.

Looks like that's a PRO only option. So at the moment I can't try that. Actually i think the behavior that I wanted would be "captionPosition: OVERLAY"

OVERLAY - caption and title sit over main image

And because that's the default, I assume it's what I already have. My issue is that the caption only 'sits over main image' sometimes. It also sometimes is below the main image or is half on and half off the main image. I'd actually really like it to sit over the main image all of the time. That's what I'm after.

Here's an example of what I'm getting at the moment. This is straight from JuiceBox-Builder Lite. I'm on a 1280 x 800 display.

http://ode-is-simple.com/resources/imag … x_gallery/

If I shrink the browser window to a little less than 2/3 the height of the display then the caption is over the main image, and stays there as I continue to shorten the height of the window. If I make it taller though the caption pulls away from the main image, first a little and then a little more and so on. When the browser window is maximized the caption is closer to the thumbnails than the main image.

Also is it normal for the caption to run across the full width of the container? I assume it is but it seems odd. Just reading the description 'sit over main image'. The caption actually starts next to  the main image on the right and then expands into the image and then out the other side.

Thanks for the reply.

And because that's the default, I assume it's what I already have.

That is correct.

My issue is that the caption only 'sits over main image' sometimes.

It would be more accurate to say that the caption and title sit over main image area.
You could ensure that the caption sits at the bottom of your main image (though it would still start beyond the left of the main image) by increasing the size of your main images to dimensions beyond most monitor resolutions. Juicebox would then dynamically scale your images down to fit the main image area and there would be no space at the bottom of the main image area (below the main image) where the caption is positioned.