1 (edited by mark 2016-02-28 01:55:48)

Topic: "Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found" In Lightroom CC

Greetings,

After installing Juicebox-Pro 1.4.4.2 I have started getting this error in the Lightroom Web module:

Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found.

To reiterate, this is while using the Juicebox-Pro plugin in Lightroom itself - the error appears in Lightroom.  The plugin works OK at first but then at some point while making Juicebox configuration changes (right-hand LR panel) the main LR pain (the big one in the middle where the preview is) turns a solid light gray color with only the above error message appearing.  When it does this seems to be random in that the point at which this problem occurs does not seem to correlate with any particular setting or number of setting changes.  Once this problem occurs, the only fix seems to be to exit LR's Web module and then re-enter it... at which point all the previously-made changes are gone and the Juicebox plugin appears to be reset to its default settings.

I have now tried to generate a Juicebox gallery five or six times using the 1.4.4.2 LR plugin and so far have not been able to.

Re: "Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found" In Lightroom CC

Intermittent or seeming random problems are usually the most difficult to troubleshoot.
Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this problem myself which makes it all the more difficult to investigate.
If there seems to be no pattern in what configuration options trigger the problem, then perhaps there is a pattern elsewhere (for example with the number of images in the gallery) that might give us a clue as to the nature of the problem.

Try creating a Juicebox gallery with just a single image (or a couple of images) to see if this helps.

The problem could be due to a timing issue with the way that Lightroom builds the XML file for use in the live preview (although this is just speculation). Maybe under certain conditions, it takes too long to build the file, resulting in the 'Config XML file not found.' message.
If this is the case, then it might be very difficult to solve (as the live preview is essentially handled by Lightroom itself rather than any specific code in the plugin).

However, if you try using only one or two images, then there will be fewer <image> entries for Lightroom to process in the temporary XML file and it might make a difference.

Also, check that your version of Lightroom is up to date. The latest version is CC 2015.4 or 6.4.
An update could potentially help (especially is there is a bug in an older version which is somehow contributing to your problem).

Although the live preview can be very helpful, you should still be able to successfully create a gallery even if the live preview does not work.
I realise that this does not solve your problem but please try creating a gallery (by clicking the 'Export...' button) after the live preview window fails to see if the resulting gallery is OK.
Lightroom serves the live preview from a temporary folder. There is no real gallery folder until after you have exported the gallery to your hard drive (via the 'Export...' button).

The following is more of a workaround than a solution (if it works at all) but it might be worth trying to prevent you from having to change the 'Web' module's 'Layout' and lose your settings.
Open the plugin's 'index.html' file ('juicebox_pro.lrwebengine/index.html') in a plain text editor and add the following code just before the closing <body> tag on line 89. The line number refers to the current version of the plugin (v1.4.4.2).
It should display a 'Refresh' button in the top-left of the live preview window only (not in the exported gallery) which you can click to try to reload the gallery.

<% if mode == "preview" then %>
    <div id="refresh" style="background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.5); color: rgba(255,255,255,1); cursor: pointer; font-size: 12px; left 0px; padding: 4px; position: absolute; top: 0px; z-index: 9999;">
        <span>Refresh</span>
    </div>
    <script>
        $('#refresh').click(function() {
            window.location.reload();
        });
    </script>
<% end %>

I hope the notes above help.

3 (edited by ralfhiemisch 2016-03-08 21:44:37)

hello

i do have exactly the same problem with Juicebox Lightroom CC plugin like mark

"After installing Juicebox-Pro 1.4.4.2 I have started getting this error in the Lightroom Web module:
Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found"

all software ist the newest version and computer is new too

any solutions yet ?

@ralfhiemisch

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce this problem myself and trying to troubleshoot a problem that I cannot reproduce is very difficult.
If you can find anything that seems to trigger the error, please let me know.
For mark, the problem seems to be random. Do you see any pattern in your own installation or does it seem to be random for yourself, too?

In addition to my notes above, try installing the Juicebox-Lite web engine alongside the Juicebox-Pro version to see if the problem is unique to Pro or if the problem lies with both Lite and Pro.
(The Lite and Pro versions can be installed and run alongside each other. The Lite version can be found inside the Juicebox-Lite download zip file. You can download Juicebox-Lite from this web page.)

thanks for your answhere ...

its a kind of random and not ...
tigering the error is: making adjustments with the slideres 1-6 times. (example: shadow opacity, e.t.c.)
then the message comes

the problem is in light and pro version. it was there right from the start when i testet the light version.
and i bought the pro version thinking that it will be not there ... but it is.

what can i say ... its pretty useless like this

what do to ?

@mark & @ralfhiemisch

Maybe there is something similar in your two systems or setups that is somehow contributing to the problem.

Maybe if you could both post your computer specifications (Mac vs PC, operating system, CPU, RAM) and a few other details, there may be some pattern or link between the two.

If there is anything non-standard about your Lightroom installation (such as a custom install location), please let me know.

Also, please let me know where the images you are using in Lightroom are located when you select the Juicebox web engine (for example, on a local hard drive, a NAS drive, a folder synced to an online file sharing service or somewhere else).

The more information we have, the more likely we are to find the cause of the problem.

When the error occurs, you could try pressing Ctrl + R (or going to 'Web -> Reload' from the drop-down menu at the top) to reload the live preview to see if this helps.

Lightroom serves the live preview from a temporary folder. On a Windows PC, the files for the live preview should be found in the following location.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\AgWPGPreview\

Whilst Lightroom is open and the error message is being displayed, go to that location (if you have a Windows PC) and check that there is a file named 'config.xml'. You should be able to open the file in a text editor to check its contents. Please let me know what you find.

7 (edited by ralfhiemisch 2016-03-12 21:48:28)

nothing special with my system ...

LR CC without any gimicks or plugins

all my images on my local SSD

Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan 10.11.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2014)
2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

R*

Thank you for the information.
Perhaps we can match it up with some of mark's if he post's his own specifications.

I know you say "all software ist the newest version" but could you please confirm your Lightroom version number.
Go to 'Help -> System Info...' from the drop down menu at the top and the 'Lightroom version' should be the first entry in the list.
It might be unlikely but there may be a bug in a certain version of Lightroom which is contributing to the problem.
All the plugin does regarding the live preview window is internally set supportsLiveUpdate = false. Lightroom handles everything else itself.

tigering the error is: making adjustments with the slideres 1-6 times.

The plugin updates the live preview window each time a configuration option is changed in the interface.
Each time a slider's position changes, the web page will be reloaded.
Your installation seems to be getting hung up on reloading the web page multiple times in quick succession when a slider is used (although I still can't reproduce the problem on my Windows PC).

Perhaps the best course of action would be to prevent the live preview window from being updated each time a configuration option is changed and, instead, allow the user to update the live preview window manually (whenever required) by pressing Cmd+R (Mac), Ctrl+R (Windows) or by selecting 'Web -> Reload' (from the drop-down menu at the top).
Disabling the instant update functionality to the live preview window (and reloading the web page only on demand) should help.

It might not be an ideal solution to the problem but it should hopefully be a suitable workaround.

If you'd like to try it, download the 'galleryInfo.lrweb' file from here [Link removed.] and use it to replace your plugin's existing 'galleryInfo.lrweb' file (inside the 'juicebox_pro.lrwebengine' folder/package). (This file should be used to replace the 'galleryInfo.lrweb' file in version 1.5.0 of the Lightroom plugin only.)

Please note that on a Mac, 'juicebox_pro.lrwebengine' is seen as a special package (rather than just a regular folder). To open the folder, you'll need to right-click the package and select 'Show Package Content'.

hi steven,

thanks for the work arround*
that works for a moment
but i would prefer a solution for the updating

Version von Lightroom: CC 2015.4 [ 1060496 ]

R*

I'm glad that my suggestion works as a workaround.

Unfortunately, being that there is no code in the plugin that is specific to the live preview window display, I think there is little that can be done at the plugin level to fix the problem.

A Juicebox gallery web page is displayed dynamically by the 'juicebox.js' JavaScript file. It is not a just a regular static web page containing HTML elements styled via CSS.
It is not possible to change a configuration option once a gallery has been displayed. If you want to see how a gallery looks after changing a configuration option, then the gallery (the web page) must be reloaded.

This means that the plugin is not a suitable candidate for Lightroom's 'Live Update' functionality whereby the live preview web page is updated (dynamically via JavaScript) without being reloaded.

Due to the nature of Juicebox, all the plugin can do is either:
(1) Reload the page on every configuration option change.
... or:
(2) Do not reload the page until the user chooses to do so via Cmd+R (Mac), Ctrl+R (Windows) or 'Web -> Reload'.

As I mentioned previously, there is no code in the plugin specific to the live preview window display (other than setting a single boolean variable) so there is little the plugin can do to change how Lightroom displays the gallery in the live preview window other than preventing a page reload on every configuration option change (or maybe replacing all sliders in the interface with another input type such as text boxes to prevent multiple successive reloads when sliding the slider).

If anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, then please post in this thread.
It would be very interesting to know if this is a widespread problem (perhaps on Macs only?) or just isolated a few specific systems.
Thank you.