1 (edited by brian 2012-08-04 18:05:17)

Topic: How to keep Juicebox galleries fresh in Chrome?

If there are non-Flickr galleries which need to be updated frequently, is there a way to ensure that they won't ever be cached in Chrome?  Ever?

Initial testing by Steven Spiers from the Simpleviewer forum indicated that Juicebox galleries would show any changes with a simple click of the Refresh button.  This immediate freshness sold me on Juicebox, and I bought it.  The freshness seemed to hold at first, but yesterday I noticed that, of two gallery updates made within an hour, only the first was showing in Chrome (both updates were showing in FF and IE though).  This computer is running Vista fwiw.

I checked again this morning and the second change still isn't showing in Chrome.  What should I do?

Thanks!

Re: How to keep Juicebox galleries fresh in Chrome?

Initial testing by Steven Spiers from the Simpleviewer forum indicated that Juicebox galleries would show any changes with a simple click of the Refresh button.

This still seems to hold true with Chrome 20 on my PC but different browsers will cache files differently. Hitting F5 is enough to reload the page afresh (from the web server rather than the browser's cache) in Chrome 20 (on my PC) whereas CTRL + F5 is required in Firefox 14.0.1 and a complete clearing of the browser cache may be required in other browsers.

Try defining your gallery's XML file with a unique identifier (e.g. the current time which will be different each time the browser loads the page) using the configUrl option in your gallery's embedding code.

<!--START JUICEBOX EMBED-->
<script src="jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>
<script>
    new juicebox({
        containerId : 'juicebox-container',
        configUrl : 'config.xml?nocache=' + new Date().getTime()
    });
</script>
<div id="juicebox-container"></div>
<!--END JUICEBOX EMBED-->

Thanks I'll give it a try.
In case it helps, my current Chrome version is 21.0.1180.60 m

Try defining your gallery's XML file with a unique identifier (e.g. the current time which will be different each time the browser loads the page) using the configUrl option in your gallery's embedding code.

hmm what if I'm not embedding the galleries?  or is this embedding code inside an xml file?

hmm what if I'm not embedding the galleries?  or is this embedding code inside an xml file?

All galleries must be embedded in an HTML page in order to be displayed.
If you create a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, the gallery is automatically embedded in the HTML index page (whose default name is 'index.html' but can be changed on the 'Publish' tab).
If you open the gallery's HTML index page in a plain text editor, you will see the embedding code there.
For reference, the Juicebox Embedding Guide can be found here.

so far so good - after that I hit refresh and voila - thanks again!