1 (edited by wspollack 2016-02-03 15:37:49)

Topic: jbcore Locations on Mac, for JB-Pro and jAlbum?

Hi all. I'm in the process of migrating from a Windows Vista machine to a brand new Mac. On the PC, when a new JB-Pro release was available, after downloading and installing it I performed the following tasks:

1) Go to the directory where jbcore was installed for JB-Pro, and then to the classic -> img directory, and rename spinner.gif and put my own spinner.gif file there.

2) Copy the newly installed jbcore directory, above, such that it overwrote the jbcore directory that gets installed for jAlbum when the Juicebox skin is installed. This allows galleries generated via jAlbum to have access to the Pro options.

3) If a new Juicebox skin became available -- as is often the case, shortly after a new release of JB-Pro -- repeat step 2, above.

So, on the Mac, I've now installed Adobe Air, JB-Pro, jAlbum, and the Juicebox skin. And I now want to perform steps 1 and 2, but I haven't a clue. I've done what I consider extensive playing around with Finder (Mac's equivalent of Windows Explorer), to no avail. I've even done some research, in order to modify Finder so I could see more information.

[Edit: forgot to add that I looked at the jAlbum forum before posting, but only found a couple of threads, from five or six years ago, which don't seem to apply now.]

Anyone care to help me out here?

Thanks,

Bill P.

Re: jbcore Locations on Mac, for JB-Pro and jAlbum?

I don't have a Mac but check the following path: /Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro/template/jbcore/classic/img/spinner.gif
Otherwise, keep searching your hard drive for the 'spinner.gif' file. It should be there somewhere!

With regard to jAlbum, skins can be installed in two different places (in Program Files or Application Data) but rather than searching, perhaps the easiest thing would be to just repackage the skin with your customized 'jbcore' folder and then install the skin as usual (letting jAlbum place it where it needs to be).

A jAlbum skin is just a zip file with a .jaskin file extension (instead of .zip).

(1) Rename the skin file from 'Juicebox.jaskin' to 'Juicebox.zip' (this may not be necessary depending on how you perform Step #2).
(2) Unzip the file.
(3) Replace the stock 'jbcore' folder with your own ('Juicebox/res/juicebox/jbcore/').
(4) Re-zip the entire 'Juicebox' folder.
(5) Rename the file to 'Juicebox.jaskin'.
(6) Install the skin as usual.

When you initially extract the 'juicebox_pro_1.4.4.2.zip' file, you can find the Pro 'jbcore' folder in
'juicebox_pro_1.4.4.2/web/jbcore/' (as well as in the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro installed program directory) so you could use the 'jbcore' folder from there to at least get your jAlbum skin up and running.

3 (edited by wspollack 2016-02-04 22:21:30)

Steven:

What I did was to download the JB-Pro zip file again. I managed to butcher it, before I discovered that by default you move a file, instead of copy it, on a Mac.

Next, I ran jAlbum, with the Lite version of Juicebox installed. Then, I followed your instructions in the readme.txt that is included in the skin download (visible after changing that to a .zip file):

"To open the skin's folder, go to 'Tools -> Open Directories -> Skin directory' from jAlbum's drop-down menu."

That gave me a Finder window in the proper location. That location, by the way, is:

/Users/[user name]/Library/JAlbum/skins/Juicebox/res/Juicebox/jbcore

However, I can't seem to navigate to it myself, so I'm doing something wrong with Finder, or maybe it's some sort of alias, or maybe it's hidden to me. Doesn't matter, I got there courtesy of that menu instruction.

[Update: yeah, that particular Library folder is normal invisible. I installed Invisible -- https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/47448/invisible -- which is easier than running assorted terminal commands. Now I can navigate directly to that location myself, but it's still easier to let jAlbum open it for me, as opposed to trying to remember that location myself.]

Then I closed jAlbum. Didn't want the skin open, but Finder was left open.

Then I ran another Finder, and opened the downloaded JB-Pro zip file. Now, having researched drag-and-copy better, I just dragged the jbcore from that Finder window to the one that was showing the skins folder (having navigated to the /juicebox/jbcore area).

Oh, yeah, I replaced spinner.gif there, too.

This was actually pretty easy, i.e., let jAlbum open a folder for me, and use the jbcore from the zip file for JB-Pro. I never did find out where jbcore is residing permanently, as part of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, and I looked.

So, good suggestions you gave me, but it was ultimately the simple part of readme.txt that steered me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill P.

I'm glad you've essentially found what you're looking for.
Thanks for sharing your findings and experiences.

I'm still not sure why searching your hard drive for 'spinner.gif' does not result in a hit for the location of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'jbcore' folder though, especially after you have shown hidden file (although it sounds unlikely that, on a Mac, JuiceboxBuilder-Pro would be installed to a location which is hidden by default).

Steven: I have a hundred or so spinner.gif files. I have the output from jAlbum written to sub-directories in a local directory. Arrowing my way down a Finder list of them all -- I get to see the full path for each one that way -- reveals nothing interesting.

Same deal for jbcore. I just tried this again, with that add-on set to show hidden files. Nothing unusual, and nothing in any application type of folder. The only unusual place is in /Users/[user name]/Documents/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro/..., but I thought I made that directory the other day, just to save things off, for future reference. You don't suppose I'm getting punchy, and the installer really put it there?!

Re hidden stuff, remember that deal with the skins, in /Users/[user name]/Library/JAlbum/skins/Juicebox/res/Juicebox/jbcore? That particular /Library/ node is hidden by default, so the skins' winding up in there renders them hidden, too.

There is a file /Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app, but that's all I can find -- no folder.

The next time there's a new JB-Pro release and I've downloaded it, I'll try to keep an eye on my system, and see what gets changed when I run the installer.

Cheers,

Bill P.

There is a file /Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app, but that's all I can find -- no folder.

Try right-clicking 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app' and selecting 'Show Package Contents'.

Steven wrote:

Try right-clicking 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app' and selecting 'Show Package Contents'.

Well, that was intuitively obvious, that right-click (which, with my new one-button Mouse 2, is really a Control-click) on what appears to be a file. Yes, indeed, doing that, and expanding every returned folder in sight eventually results in finding this location:

/Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app/Contents/Resources/template/jbcore/

What are you, a Mac expert in search of a Mac?

Nice research.

Cheers,

Bill P.

I was aware that Lightroom web engines folders (such as 'juicebox.lrwebengine') are regular folders on a PC but are seen as special packages on a Mac. I had a hunch that .app folders might be treated similarly and Googled to confirm it.
If you hadn't mentioned "There is a file /Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app", I wouldn't have thought of it.
It always helps to have as much information as possible (even stuff that you think might not be relevant) so thank you for being so comprehensive with your problem descriptions!