Topic: audio not playing automatically on android

hi , is there anyway i can get the audio to play automatically on android ( I think this is the same also for ipad / iphone ) . It works fine on a desktop / laptop . When i view a gallery on an android device i have to actually click on the sound icon button twice for the music / audio to kick in . I dont have this issue on a desktop / laptop .
any advise please.
mike

Re: audio not playing automatically on android

This is certainly the case on iOS devices (and is documented in the description for playAudioOnLoad on the Config Options page) but I do not know if this is also true for Android devices (and you should not need to click the Audio Button twice). It sounds like your gallery's Audio Button may initially be displaying the 'pause' symbol (implying that the audio is playing when it is not) but then you have to click the button (to display the 'play' symbol) and then click the button once again. Is this correct?

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of Juicebox-Pro (v1.3.3) to ensure that any bugs that were present in previous versions but which have since been fixed are not contributing to your problem.
Instructions for upgrading Juicebox-Pro can be found here.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please let me know what device/browser you see this problem in and please post the URL to your gallery so that we can investigate further. Thank you.

hi steven . you are correct in in implying that on android the audio button is displaying the pause symbol so hence the reason i have to hit it once to get the play symbol and hit it again to get the music to play. What is strange is that using firefox the music plays automatically but it does not play automatically using dolphin , chrome or the standard internet browser which came loaded with my samsung note ll . Its android version 4.3 . I have the same issue with the gallaxy tab 3 and HTC one . All the above browsers show the pause icon on load up.
Yes i am using the latest juicebox pro version .
regards mike
http://mphotographx.com/susan&nick/

Thank you for providing the URL to your gallery.
It's just a thought but try removing the & character from your gallery's URL to see if this makes a difference.
The & character is reserved (as a delimiter for a query string) and may be causing a problem in certain browsers when resolving the URL for your audio file.
It may be unlikely to help but no one else has reported the problem you are describing so it might be worth trying.

Also, does the same problem occur in this test gallery?
http://www.juicebox.net/demos/pro/full/ … nLoad=true

hi steven , i tried the link you suggested and still have the very same issue . I also put up a test gallery without "&" and still have the same issue .
mike

Thank you for testing the link I posted.
I have notified the developers of this issue and they will investigate further.

Hi support

I have the same issue, my audio is playing very well on a laptop but not on adroid or iphone. I have to turn off the pause/play button twice and after this it works. once I leave the page and come back, i have to do it again.

I have the latest version of Juicebox pro.

Please can you help me
Thanks in advance

@aleckaram

Please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look.
Also, please let me know exactly which devices and browsers (and version numbers) you use.

Also, please bear in mind that playAudioOnLoad (the ability to start playing audio automatically when the gallery is loaded) is not supported on iOS devices.
(This is noted in the description of the playAudioOnLoad configuration option on the Config Options page.)

Thank you.

Hi Steven and thanks for your assistance,

here is the url to my website : http://www.aleckaram-photos.com/dwcs6/m … riage.html

I noticed also that since my upgrade to juicebox 1.4.2, the gallery doesn't load on adroid phone, while this was working very well before. Also I have to turn off and on the audio button twice before guetting audio playing.

I made the test on Samsung S3 Adroid 4.3
Thanks

here is the url to my website

At the moment, your web page is not loading for me at all. I have tried a couple of different browsers and the little icons in the browser tabs just keep spinning. I will try to view your gallery later. Once I can view your gallery, I might have a better idea as to the cause of your problem.

the gallery doesn't load on adroid phone

Please make sure that you are viewing your gallery using a wi-fi connection rather than 3G. Viewing a gallery using a 3G connection can break Juicebox if your provider uses content modification. If you are using a 3G connection, then please see this FAQ which provides a solution to the problem:
Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?

I made the test on Samsung S3 Adroid 4.3

Thank you for the information.

Hi,

the hosting server encountered issues this afternoon, and now is operational again.
I made a test on 3G and WiFi on Android phone, I confirm that audio is playing with WiFi (but playAudioOnLoad doesn't work) I have to turn on Audio button.
With 3G connection no audio at all.

I don't have an Iphone or Ipad right now.
Can you check the above link please?

Thanks for your help

I have now been able to take a look at your gallery and the configuration options it uses (although I do not have a Samsung S3 on which to test).

I made a test on 3G and WiFi on Android phone, I confirm that audio is playing with WiFi (but playAudioOnLoad doesn't work) I have to turn on Audio button.

Is the audio icon's status always correct, though? When you load the gallery, does the audio icon in the button bar show the 'Click to play audio' status and does a single click (rather than a double-click) play the audio? It sounds like your stock Android browser does not support playAudioOnLoad (like iOS devices) but that the Audio Button is displaying and functioning correctly.
Try a difference browser (such as Chrome) to see if this makes a difference.
Also, try setting expandInNewPage="AUTO" or expandInNewPage="TRUE" (rather than expandInNewPage="FALSE") to expand the gallery on a new page (rather than within the embedding page) to see if this makes a difference.

With 3G connection no audio at all.

Maybe this is due do with the fact that your audio tracks are approximately 7MB each and are taking longer to download over 3G. Does the gallery display OK over your 3G connection? If not, please see this FAQ for a solution.

I also notice that your gallery's Back Button icon is not visible.
The Back Button icon's color should be determined by the buttonBarIconColor but is overridden by the textColor (which in your gallery is fully transparent). Either change your gallery's textColor (so that it is not fully transparent) or remove this configuration option from your gallery's XML file and your gallery's Back Button icon should become visible.
(I have logged a bug report with the developers regarding this and it should hopefully be fixed in a future version.)

Hi

Is the audio icon's status always correct, though? When you load the gallery, does the audio icon in the button bar show the 'Click to play audio' status and does a single click (rather than a double-click) play the audio? It sounds like your stock Android browser does not support playAudioOnLoad (like iOS devices) but that the Audio Button is displaying and functioning correctly.

I confirm that single click is enough to lauch audio on Iphone (safari) and adroid phone (chrome and internet)

Also, try setting expandInNewPage="AUTO" or expandInNewPage="TRUE" (rather than expandInNewPage="FALSE")

No difference is noticed

I also notice that your gallery's Back Button icon is not visible.

Thanks for this notification

So the problem appears to be that audio does not play on load in the stock browser on a Samsung S3 running Android 4.3 (but that the functionality and icon status of the Audio Button is OK).

Unfortunately, this may be unavoidable (similar to iOS devices) and that the user will have to click the Audio Button to start the audio playing.

Have you tried a different browser (such as Chrome) yet to see if this makes a difference?

Hi

I made some tests on different devices (Iphone 4, Iphone 5, Ipad Air, Samsung S3, Asus Nexus Android) and different browsers. the result is the same : AudioOnload is not functional.

Maybe this is due do with the fact that your audio tracks are approximately 7MB each and are taking longer to download over 3G. Does the gallery display OK over your 3G connection? If not, please see this FAQ for a solution.

On the Iphone5 (7.1.2)  , I made a test with 3G, 4G and WiFi.  Only with a WiFi connection the gallery is displayed.
The solution in the FAQ concerns Apache server. Is this also available for a hosting on Windows Server?

Thanks

AudioOnload is not functional.

Unfortunately, it looks like the latest versions of Android no longer support automatic audio playback on loading a web page. The audio track must be initiated by the user (for example by clicking the Audio Button in a Juicebox gallery).
I cannot find the exact version of Android which introduced this restriction but a web search with terms such as "android auto play audio" returns many web pages which seem to confirm this.
It will not be possible to circumvent this behavior but I have notified the developers in order to update our online support pages with this information.

Is this also available for a hosting on Windows Server?

Please see this web page for details on how to set the Cache-Control header to 'no-transform' on IIS. (Your web host may be able to help you with this.)