1 (edited by charmedlife 2013-09-22 22:40:08)

Topic: Test Page Not Showing in Chrome or Safari (Not Checked IE yet)

http://www.mulhollandsecurity.com/security/test3.html

It IS showing up in FF though.

I am just beginning to understand html and may well have not put it in the right surrounding tags I am guessing. Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

Dan

Re: Test Page Not Showing in Chrome or Safari (Not Checked IE yet)

A few things to try which may help are:

(1) Upgrade your gallery from Juicebox-Pro v1.2.0 to the latest version (v1.3.2) by following the instructions on the Upgrading Juicebox page to ensure that any bugs that were present in v1.2.0 but which have since been fixed are not contributing to your problem.
For a full list of changes, please see the Version History.

(2) Validate the code on your web page with the W3C Markup Validation Service and fix the HTML errors that are reported. Once the code on your web page validates correctly, your page should be rendered with greater predictability and consistency across different browsers.

(3) As you are using a percentage height for your gallery (100%), you may need to implement the suggestion from the Using Percentage Heights support section. Otherwise, try setting your gallery's height to a fixed pixel value.

Wow. It's an ancient site. I think that it was built standardly in its day, but it's been given a lot of adaption by various webmasters over the years. 18 errors on this page! And I don't know code well enough to rectify. I can see that every effort was made in the validator to be clear and simple, but it still is a little beyond me. Do you have an idea what I could study to make this more understandable to me and to be able to do something effective.

(note: according to the validator, a few of the errors seem to be within the juicebox script itself, but I could be reading that wrong.)

I did take the percentage information and changed it to pixels, but that was not enough to resolve the issue.

On further investigation, the problem seems to be related to MenuMachine. There is a known conflict between MenuMachine and jQuery scripts (Juicebox uses jQuery). Please see this MenuMachine knowledge base article for a possible fix.
Chrome and Safari are both based on the same rendering engine (WebKit) which is why the problem manifests itself in both browsers.
Unfortunately, MenuMachine no longer seems to be actively developed (the last version v2.2.1 is dated 28 May 2007) and the JavaScript file itself is obfuscated which makes debugging difficult.
If the suggested fix does not work, then I would recommend using a more up-to-date and bug-free menu system which is compatible with jQuery scripts across all browsers.

(note: according to the validator, a few of the errors seem to be within the juicebox script itself, but I could be reading that wrong.)

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro generates valid HTML 5 code.
If your web page uses a different Doctype Declaration (such as HTML 4.01 Transitional), then an error may be given within the Juicebox embedding code for the <script> tag not having a 'type' attribute. Such errors should really be fixed (to comply with the Doctype Declaration you choose to use) but will not affect the display of your web page in any browser.
We recommend using the HTML 5 Doctype Declaration as noted here.

Do you have an idea what I could study to make this more understandable to me and to be able to do something effective.

Knowledge of HTML would certainly be useful when trying to fix errors on a web page.
A useful resource and a good starting point might be W3Schools.