1 (edited by nehrebus 2013-08-25 16:14:16)

Topic: Some questions...

Hi Steven,

I upgraded Juicebox Lite to PRO 1.3.2 and Showkase Standard from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0 recently and I have some questions now.;)

1. After upgrading a »separation« border [1px height | rgb:43,43,43] appeared below the last line of text on every page and in the gallery pages itself. It doesn't appear on the Gallery Index Page though. How can I get rid of it?

2. The thumbnail images look quite blurry. How can I change that?

3. The back button icon doesn't show up. It's set to »overlay|left« and »use icon« is checked. I just want the home icon to be shown like the one on your demo page http://www.juicebox.net/demos/pro/full/#1.

4. How to set the path for a watermark image?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Some questions...

1. After upgrading a »separation« border [1px height | rgb:43,43,43] appeared below the last line of text on every page and in the gallery pages itself. It doesn't appear on the Gallery Index Page though. How can I get rid of it?

Add the following code to the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file:

div.body-content {
    border-style: none;
}

2. The thumbnail images look quite blurry. How can I change that?

Showkase creates thumbnails for Juicebox-Pro galleries at the dimensions specified by the thumbWidth and thumbHeight configuration values in the interface. If you change these values after creating a gallery, the thumbnails will not be displayed at their actual size in the gallery and they may look blurred. To recreate the thumbnails at the new dimensions, edit the gallery page, click on the 'Advanced' tab and select 'Rebuild this Juicebox gallery'.

3. The back button icon doesn't show up. It's set to »overlay|left« and »use icon« is checked. I just want the home icon to be shown like the one on your demo page

This looks like a bug. Thank you for reporting. I have logged a bug report with the developers and it should be fixed in the next version of Showkase. In the meantime, open the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/defaults.ini' file in a plain text editor, search for the text 'BackButtonUseIcon' and change it to 'backButtonUseIcon' (with a lowercase 'b' at the start).

4. How to set the path for a watermark image?

The watermarking functionality is a feature found only in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and is not available in Showkase.
If you like, you could create a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (using a watermark), upload the gallery folder to your web server and import the gallery into your Showkase installation in the 'Site -> Import' section.

Hi Steven,

the separation border disappeared and thumbs are fine now.

I changed the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/defaults.ini' as suggested but unfortunately nothing happend. Moreover some of the settings in the .ini don't match with my Showkase settings: e.g. Share Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr are true in Showkase but false in the .ini. and maxCaptionHeight in Showkase=100 and in .ini it has the default value of 120.

@watermark: I build all galleries in Showkase with Simpleviewer PRO and switched to Juicebuilder PRO then. Is there another way than building them again locally? I have a pic in /_library/files/watermark.png but this is not accepted as a watermark path:(

Finally, how can I reduce the distance between the last line of text/ thumbs and the footer? The distance

is way too big at the moment. Especially between non expanded gallery thumbs and footer. It's fine for an expanded gallery though.

Kind regards and thanks a lot.

I changed the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/defaults.ini' as suggested but unfortunately nothing happend.

you would need to 'Rebuild' your gallery ('Edit Gallery Page -> Advanced Tab -> Rebuild') after making the change.
(I tested this fix myself and it works.)

Moreover some of the settings in the .ini don't match with my Showkase settings

The entries in the 'defaults.ini' file should not reflect your own gallery's settings. (This contents of this file will not change.) They are default values used to determine whether or not it is necessary to include a configuration option in a gallery's 'config.xml' file. (If a custom settings in a gallery matches the configuration option's default value, then Showkase knows that there is no need to enter the setting in the gallery's XML file.)

@watermark: I build all galleries in Showkase with Simpleviewer PRO and switched to Juicebuilder PRO then. Is there another way than building them again locally? I have a pic in /_library/files/watermark.png but this is not accepted as a watermark path:(

There is no way to watermark images in a Juicebox gallery created within Showkase.
You can enter a relative or absolute URL in the 'Watermark Url' text field for SimpleViewer-Pro galleries, though.
This is because the watermarking in SimpleViewer-Pro superimposes the watermark image on top of the main image at the time the gallery is displayed. The watermarking in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro embeds the watermark into the main images themselves when the images are resized at the time the gallery is created (not when it is displayed).

Finally, how can I reduce the distance between the last line of text/ thumbs and the footer?

Check that you do not have any blank lines in the body text of your gallery page. (Edit the gallery page, click in the text editor area and ensure that everything within the box has been deleted.)
If this does not help, please post the URL to your web page so that I can take a look. It would help to see the web page in question to know whether the space you are referring to is within the gallery itself (a Juicebox issue) or outside the gallery (a Showkase issue).

Hi Steven,

stupid me! It's of course better to analyze a website when knowing the website;) Ok, there you go: http://www.mauricewrede.de/

The home button is available now. It has a dotted white line below the icon when a gallery is not expanded. How can I avoid that? By the way: the not expanded galleries have this huge gap I mentioned before. The distance between the thumbs and the footer separation line is too big. The gallery could be displayed bigger if there was a way to minimize the gap. It is not that big on other pages, though. However, it would be nice to control the distance on every page. I've checked the text editors of all pages and there is absolutely nothing in them. 

I will think about rebuilding my galleries locally with Juicebox. Thanks for your explanations and help!

The home button is available now. It has a dotted white line below the icon when a gallery is not expanded. How can I avoid that?

I have notified the developers of this and it should be fixed in the next version of Showkase. In the meantime, add the following code to the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file:

a.jb-go-back-icon {
    border: none;
}

By the way: the not expanded galleries have this huge gap I mentioned before. The distance between the thumbs and the footer separation line is too big.

Thank you for providing the URL to your web site. The gap you mention is the area for the body text (which is your case, is empty). With nothing entered for the 'Page title' and in the text editor, the gap you see on your pages is the minimum height of the body text area.
If you simply do not want to display the body text area at all (removing the gap completely), add the following code to the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file:

section.page-body {
    display: none;
}

7 (edited by nehrebus 2013-08-28 17:11:36)

Hi Steven,

alright, the home button is fixed now.

Unfortunately all content of welcome and about pages disappeared and the upper half of contact too:( Moreover the gap on the gallery index page is still to big. Is there a way to control this individually for every page?

Unfortunately all content of welcome and about pages disappeared and the upper half of contact too:(

If you want to remove the body text area from Juicebox gallery pages only, then use the following code in the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file:

body.type-juicebox section.page-body {
    display: none;
}

Moreover the gap on the gallery index page is still to big.

The gap beneath the thumbnails on the Gallery Index Page is to accommodate long gallery titles (which can wrap onto three separate lines before truncating). If you want only one line of text to be visible beneath each gallery thumbnail, try using the following code in the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file. However, please note that I do not know what knock-on effects (if any) this may have.

body.type-galleryindex .content figcaption {
    height: 1.25em;
}

Is there a way to control this individually for every page?

Each page has its own separate layout and the spacing on each page may be due to different elements (with different CSS classes).
If you want to customize your Showkase pages beyond what can be achieved in the interface, then I would recommend using your browser's developer tools to determine the element that you wish to change and then add custom CSS to the theme's 'custom.css' file.

Hi Steven,

I think that I can live with this gap on the gallery index page;) I'd rather go with that to keep compatibility and consistance than risking side effects.;) Finally I've enough info to do the tweaks that I need for the site. Looking forward to the next version of Showkase. Have a nice day!

p.s. Steven for president;)

In my own tests, the adjustment I posted above (to reduce the number of lines displayed below each Gallery Index Page thumbnail) should work OK without any adverse side affects regarding thumbnail placement (though I have not tried every possible permutation of all options so cannot guarantee 100% success) and you are free to tweak your Showkase installation as desired.
As long as any CSS modifications you make are entered in your theme's 'custom.css' file (and you do not directly modify the source code of the program itself), then if you find any problems with the changes you make, you can easily change them back.