Topic: iPad sometimes next image pops in rather than slides

Hi - I have an issue with iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.3) and the behaviour of main images.

This is independent of any galleries I have produced as it can be replicated on your own site. If you go to the Juicebox demo page and choose any of the examples.

When you swipe an image it will slide across 70% of the time. Other times the next image will pop in and then slide out.

It appears that sometimes an image changes with the initial press on the screen, then the next image will slide over with the drag. This is not consistent with all images and appears arbitrary.

Strangely, if you go to the last image and drag back through the images this does not happen.

To test this go to any of the demos and after each transition tap on the image - sometimes it will not advance, other times it will swap to the next image. This is troublesome because as a user swipes through images the initial press changes the image and the swipe slides the image immediately away - essentiality making the user miss images in the gallery.

Is there a work around in the theme.css file I can use as it means visitors can miss pages with text:

http://www.johnandornadesigns.co.uk/ipad-test/

If not, this is a huge problem - I have closed all Apps and force restarted the iPad with no resolution. I have also tried another iPad 2 and the issue remains.

I have also tried setting imageClickMode to NONE.

Can you replicate the problem?

Thank you, best wishes,

Geoff

Re: iPad sometimes next image pops in rather than slides

I realise that you say this happens in all galleries (including our own demo galleries) but perhaps the following suggestions will help to optimize your own gallery for a smoother experience on the iPad 2.

I notice that you have set imagePreloading="ALL" so when your gallery initially loads, all the images in the gallery will be preloaded. Try setting imagePreloading="NEXT" (to preload only the next image in the gallery) to see if this helps.

Also, you could try reducing the file size of your images (so that there is less data to preload) to see if this makes a difference.
Your images are currently approximately 1600x900 and 250KB each. Try using JuiceboxBuilder-Pro to build a gallery with the default settings and the resulting images should be approximately 1024x768 and 120KB each.

Your gallery has also increased the imageTransitionTime from its default value of 0.5s to 1s.
Try reverting to the default setting to see if this makes for smoother transitions.

Also, note that if you navigate to a new image while the current image is still transitioning in (i.e. swipe while the current image is still sliding in to the middle), the current image will snap into the center and the new transition will start.

This is to allow users to navigate through images quickly if desired. Increasing the 'imageTransitionTime' will make this more noticeable.

The issue of images sometimes skipping on iPad has been fixed in v1.3.2. Please see the Version History for a full list of changes and the Upgrading Juicebox page for details on how to get the latest version.