Topic: Can I Speed Up the Wordpress Plug-in

Hi! I want my site to load faster. That's the main reason I got juice box. I have all my galleries in Picasa and I use Juicebox to go get em!

Here is my stats for plug-in time to load and how it effects my page load: http://screencast.com/t/UG9ecvGP
Here is the plugin that gave me this reading: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/p3-profiler/
Here is the site url: http://gateslosangeles.com/

Can you tell me if there are ways to get the plug in to load faster?

Dan

Re: Can I Speed Up the Wordpress Plug-in

In order to display a Juicebox gallery, your web page must load the 'juicebox.js' file (which, in turn, loads the 'theme.css' file and other related resources).
However, there is no way to speed this up (other than to perhaps host your images locally rather than have Juicebox fetch them from Picasa's servers). WP-Juicebox embeds a Juicebox gallery using the same method as is described in the Embedding Guide with the exception that your WordPress pages and the Juicebox XML file are created dynamically by PHP when the page and gallery are viewed. If all pages were static, things might run a little quicker (as your server would not need to create the pages on demand) but this is not how WordPress works. The advantage of having the Juicebox XML file created dynamically is that you can change your gallery's images and captions directly in Picasa without having to manually rebuild your Juicebox XML file afterwards.

Thanks for that.

If there were less images in the galleries would that make it appreciably faster? Do you have an idea how much more quickly a gallery with as an example, 100 mb and 200 images might load as compared to 200mb and 400 images?

I have not yet studied Cloudfront, but I have heard about it a couple times in conversation. Could this assist in speed of delivery? Are there any faster ways to deliver up an image to Juicebox than Picasa?

If there were less images in the galleries would that make it appreciably faster?

No. By default, Juicebox preloads only the main images on the current thumbnail page (and not all the images in the gallery at once). See the description of the imagePreloading configuration option in the Main Image Options section of the Config Options page for further details.
However, reducing the file size of your images may help if they are rather large. (If creating a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro using the default settings, the images are resized to approximately 100-120KB each which is suitable for web gallery use.)

I have not yet studied Cloudfront, but I have heard about it a couple times in conversation. Could this assist in speed of delivery? Are there any faster ways to deliver up an image to Juicebox than Picasa?

Probably the fasted method of delivery would be to host the images on the same web server as your WordPress installation using the WordPress Media Library as the source of your images.