Topic: Confused about IPTC caption import

I have managed to get JB to import IPTC captions from full-res images dragged in from Photo Mechanic in the past but weirdly now this seems to have stopped working on version 1.2.0 . I've re-booted JB a number of times but no luck, what's going on?
Thanks
Simon

Re: Confused about IPTC caption import

Make sure that you are entering the data into the correct fields in Photo Mechanic.
When using Photo Mechanic to add IPTC data to your images, JuiceboxBuilder-Pro takes the 'IPTC Caption' from Photo Mechanic's 'Caption' field and the 'IPTC Title' from Photo Mechanic's 'Object Name' field.

Thanks Steven but rest assured the caption info is in the correct field..

I tried it myself before posting (with Photo Mechanic v4.6.9 and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.2.0) and it worked fine for me.
If you are using a different version of Photo Mechanic, try adding IPTC data to a test image.
Insert different text to every available IPTC text field and then see if JuiceboxBuilder-Pro picks up anything for the Caption and Title. Perhaps the IPTC fields are labelled differently in different versions of Photo Mechanic.
If you continue to experience difficulties, please upload one of the images that you are having trouble with (and provide a download link) so that I can try it for myself and investigate further.

Hi Steven thanks for the reply. I know what's going on now. It's the irritating issue that JB will not add captions to  images that have been re-saved. Thus in my workflow I shoot raw and process them through ACR and they are outputted as j-pegs. If I use these jpegs immediately to create a JB gallery then the IPTC is pulled in, if I do further adjustments and re-save them then the IPTC won't be pulled into JB.

This is a significant problem. Clearly I wish to present galleries to clients with caption info AND images looking as good as they can, but there's only so much you can do in ACR with other critical adjustments only possible in Photoshop itself. I wonder if this can be fixed in later versions of JB? I certainly hope so.

I know you can manually cut and paste caption info but this is much too time consuming and simply not viable with large galleries.

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not retain IPTC (or EXIF) data from the original images when generating new resized images.
A workaround would be to resize your images in Photoshop prior to feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox (in the 'Image Size' control panel on the 'Images' tab) so that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro simply copies your images across into the gallery's 'images' folder, complete with the embedded meta data.

Hi Steven, thanks for the workaround suggestion, I have tried that and it works fine and is a big relief.

'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not retain IPTC (or EXIF) data from the original images when generating new resized images.' In my experience that statement is not entirely true, it DOES but only if you've not re-saved them before - as I mentioned in the previous reply.

When you say "JB will not add captions to  images that have been re-saved", what program are you re-saving with?

My workflow is: raw from camera- processed out to jpeg via Adobe Camera Raw plugin for photoshop - then images individually adjusted in Photoshop CS6 and saved.

It sounds like the IPTC captions are being lost at some point in your workflow chain before you import them to JuiceboxBuilder.

I dont think so considering that I can see them and view them in PhotoMechanic or Photoshop immediately prior to importing them into JB.
But this discussion has been solved by Steven when he admitted 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not retain IPTC (or EXIF) data from the original images when generating new resized images.' Accepting this aspect/flaw of JB I can workaround it by re-sizing the images myself before import and turning off JB's 're-size' images check box.

Hi Steven,

Does this workaround work also with Watermark Image?

Steven wrote:

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not retain IPTC (or EXIF) data from the original images when generating new resized images.
A workaround would be to resize your images in Photoshop prior to feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox (in the 'Image Size' control panel on the 'Images' tab) so that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro simply copies your images across into the gallery's 'images' folder, complete with the embedded meta data.

If you choose not to 'Resize Images' but choose to use a 'Watermark', any IPTC and EXIF data will not be retained in the watermarked images output to the gallery's 'images' folder.
The only way to retain any IPTC and EXIF data is to ensure that JuiceboxBuilder does not manipulate and re-save your images by not resizing the images and not adding a watermark.

Will this be fixed in the next build?

Steven wrote:

If you choose not to 'Resize Images' but choose to use a 'Watermark', any IPTC and EXIF data will not be retained in the watermarked images output to the gallery's 'images' folder.
The only way to retain any IPTC and EXIF data is to ensure that JuiceboxBuilder does not manipulate and re-save your images by not resizing the images and not adding a watermark.

I'm not sure that this is a bug as such but rather a side-effect of creating a new image in Adobe AIR.
It may be necessary to extract all metadata, create a new resized image and then import the metadata into the new image.
I will contact the developers with this suggestion but I do not know easy it would be to implement.

In the meantime, the workaround would be to resize and watermark your images in an image manipulation program such as Adobe Photoshop before feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and ensure that the 'Resize Images' checkbox is deselected.

Steven wrote:

I'm not sure that this is a bug as such but rather a side-effect of creating a new image in Adobe AIR.
It may be necessary to extract all metadata, create a new resized image and then import the metadata into the new image.
I will contact the developers with this suggestion but I do not know easy it would be to implement.

In the meantime, the workaround would be to resize and watermark your images in an image manipulation program such as Adobe Photoshop before feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and ensure that the 'Resize Images' checkbox is deselected.

I'm just ready to purchase Pro and I'd like to know one thing. I have all of my photos with exif description filled in on over 1500 photos. I used to use the old photoshop web galleries which supported import of the description in exif file.  Will juicebox use the description field instead of caption field if I want?  Otherwise I have a lot of work ahead of me changing all of my descriptions to caption field. Thanks!

@artwindows

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (which comes with Juicebox-Pro) uses the IPTC 'Document Title' and 'Description' fields to populate the gallery image titles and captions respectively. (These IPTC labels are those used by Adobe Photoshop. Other image manipulation programs may use different labels for these IPTC fields.)

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not extract and use EXIF information.

You may be able to use jAlbum and the Juicebox Skin to create a Juicebox gallery using your EXIF information for captions. You can try it by installing both jAlbum and the Juicebox Skin and going to the 'Album -> Settings -> Advanced -> Metadata' section from the drop-down menu at the top and selecting the 'EXIF' options in the appropriate checkboxes in the 'Comment sources' control panel.

Thanks Steven.. Actually, my error.. it IS the IPTC Description I used in all of my 1500 photos.  So that would be great if it worked to extract the Description field to label all of my photos.

Steven wrote:

@artwindows

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (which comes with Juicebox-Pro) uses the IPTC 'Document Title' and 'Description' fields to populate the gallery image titles and captions respectively. (These IPTC labels are those used by Adobe Photoshop. Other image manipulation programs may use different labels for these IPTC fields.)

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not extract and use EXIF information.

You may be able to use jAlbum and the Juicebox Skin to create a Juicebox gallery using your EXIF information for captions. You can try it by installing both jAlbum and the Juicebox Skin and going to the 'Album -> Settings -> Advanced -> Metadata' section from the drop-down menu at the top and selecting the 'EXIF' options in the appropriate checkboxes in the 'Comment sources' control panel.

Actually, my error.. it IS the IPTC Description I used in all of my 1500 photos.  So that would be great if it worked to extract the Description field to label all of my photos.

This should work fine for you. You can try it out with JuiceboxBuilder-Lite which comes with Juicebox-Lite (the free version) as JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro both support using the IPTC 'Description' fields for the gallery image captions. Just select 'Images -> Captions -> Use IPTC Captions' from the drop down menu at the top.
You can download Juicebox-Lite from this web page and instructions for installing JuiceboxBuilder-Lite can be found on this web page.

Thanks and I'll do that!   On Jan 1 2013 I noticed that there was a coupon for 20% off of the PRO version, and I missed it by one day since it was for December.  Any chance they would honor that or is there another coupon coming? If so, I'll just go straight to pro version as  I know it's what I'm looking for. Just purchased Lightroom 4 and ready to update my website. I'm currently using antiquated code for legacy files of photoshop CS4 web galleries. Thanks again for info..   Really excited to try this!

Steven wrote:

Actually, my error.. it IS the IPTC Description I used in all of my 1500 photos.  So that would be great if it worked to extract the Description field to label all of my photos.

This should work fine for you. You can try it out with JuiceboxBuilder-Lite which comes with Juicebox-Lite (the free version) as JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro both support using the IPTC 'Description' fields for the gallery image captions. Just select 'Images -> Captions -> Use IPTC Captions' from the drop down menu at the top.
You can download Juicebox-Lite from this web page and instructions for installing JuiceboxBuilder-Lite can be found on this web page.

The 'December Special Offer' coupon code (found on Twitter here) is still valid so, for a limited time, you are still able to purchase Juicebox-Pro with a 20% discount by entering the coupon code on the Buy Now! page.

I borrow this thread for small question... I’m using combo “Jalbum 10.10.8 + Juicebox-pro 1.2.0” for my web gallery.
Can I get the “Date taken” -time (HH:mm dd.mm.yyyy) from exif-data to image title or caption? How?

23 (edited by zpoc 2013-01-19 08:40:18)

zpoc wrote:

I borrow this thread for small question... I’m using combo “Jalbum 10.10.8 + Juicebox-pro 1.2.0” for my web gallery.
Can I get the “Date taken” -time (HH:mm dd.mm.yyyy) from exif-data to image title or caption? How?

i get it

In Jalbum Juicebox skinfolder, file config.htt, lines 16 and 17

<title><ja:if test="${jbViewerTitles}"><![CDATA[${originalDate}]]></ja:if></title>
<caption><ja:if test="${jbViewerCaptions}"><![CDATA[${fileName} ${exposureTime} f/${aperture} ISO${isoEquivalent}]]></ja:if></caption>

Now it works fine for me.
http://i.imgur.com/qz368s2.png