1 (edited by fkelly12054 2023-04-19 14:40:36)

Topic: juicebox pro failing probably dll issue >> probably not

A couple of days ago I went to run JuiceboxBuilder Pro for the first time, in a "long time".  Had version 1.51.  It failed:  screen showed, Adobe Air showed and closed and then Juicebox disappeared.  Looking at event viewer I saw:

Faulting application name: JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x630f524c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2846, time stamp: 0xb9bbdd8b
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00138fc2
Faulting process id: 0x2e20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d96d77babe4b23
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 7c456bc3-8f5c-4963-8e79-b4a67c89b576
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This message has stayed consistent across my efforts to resolve the issue. 

I reinstallled AIR and verified that I have the correct version.  I've gone through the various Microsoft "fixes" for corrupt system files including DISM and SFC things.  I even copied kernelbase.dll from a similar computer that is on the same update cycle as my main one.  No luck:  JuiceboxBuilder pro fails with the dll related message.

What I suspect is that some recent update of Windows 10 provided a corrupt file.  No, I should say a kernelbase.dll that won't work with Juiceboxbuilder-Pro.  Maybe someone at Juicebox could test this on a recently updated Windows 10 computer. 

I do have one Windows 11 computer where JuiceboxBuilder seems to work.  I will go check out the dll there. 

I will say that the SimpleViewer folks got back to me quickly with the download link and installation instructions.  But it looks to me like that's not the problem.  Windows probably introduced a dll change that's not compatible with Air or JuiceboxBuilder-Pro or both.

Re: juicebox pro failing probably dll issue >> probably not

Afterwards, tried replacing the kernelbase.dll file but the system32 directory is "locked up' by the trusted installer and won't allow any changes without jumping through security hoops that I don't have time for.  The file on my wife's Windows 10 computer is the same date and size (must be the same Windows update).  The file on a Windows 11 computer where JuiceboxPro still works is double the size.  Even if I could copy it to my Windows 10 computer it probably would not work. 

I suspect you will see a lot of these reports as others install Windows updates on their Windows 10 computers.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro on your Windows 10 machine.
Thank you for the report, though.

Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to a Windows 10 machine to test on.
Searching through the forum, I found a similar issue (regarding a different version of the 'KERNELBASE.dll' file back in 2019) here: https://juicebox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4814
An odd solution was found (to install an older version of Adobe AIR and then upgrade) which might be difficult to do now as older versions of AIR are no longer easily available online (and the current version of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro will no longer install under the last version of Adobe's AIR (v32)).
I thought I should link to the thread though, in case it somehow helps or points you in the right direction.

Incidentally, you are the first (and only) person to have reported this. That's not to say that it's not going to be a widespread problem on Windows 10 (as it certainly seems to be related to the most recent Windows update) but I thought you'd like to know that we've not received any other similar reports yet.

Also, I should note that, similar to your own results, JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.1.2 still runs fine on my Windows 11 machine (OS Build 22621.1555) under AIR v33.1.1.744.

Before I went through the pain of reinstalling Windows (I tried various system file checkers and resetters yesterday) I went to my wife's computer which runs the same version of Windows as mine).  We are both running Windows 22H2 and os build 19045.2846, for what that's worth.  The KernelBase files have identical file versions 10.0.19041.27788 and file sizes.  I went to the download site for JuiceboxPro which was provided by email.  Went through instructions for installing JuiceBoxPro on wife's computer including Adobe Air.  Both are running Air 33.1.1.744.  So that's identical and from what I can tell that's the correct version. 

Wife's computer was running JuiceboxPro 1.5.1 successfully within 5 minutes of starting install.  Mine still dies leaving the artifacts I have previously posted in the event viewer. 

Two computers.  Identical Windows versions.  Identical JuiceboxPro installations.  Same version of Adobe AIR.   Appears to be the same version of kernelbase.dll.  On one JuiceboxPro fails.  On the other it doesn't.   

I will reset Windows on the failing machine as time permits.  Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for the update and additional information.

Two computers.  Identical Windows versions.  Identical JuiceboxPro installations.  Same version of Adobe AIR.   Appears to be the same version of kernelbase.dll.  On one JuiceboxPro fails.  On the other it doesn't.

That is, indeed, very strange.

Here are two things you could try:

With the odd resolution to the problem in the forum thread I linked to, you could maybe try the following:
(1) Install Harman AIR v33.1.1.744
(2) Install JuiceboxBuilder-Pro
(3) Uninstall Harman AIR v33.1.1.744
(4) Install Adobe AIR v32.0.0.125

You'll not be able to install JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under Adobe AIR v32.0.0.125 any more but JuiceboxBuilder-Pro should run under Adobe AIR v32.0.0.125 if it's already installed.

I have no idea if this will work but it shouldn't take long to try and if something similar worked for a different user (albeit with a different version of the 'KERNELBASE.dll' file, an upgrade of AIR rather than a downgrade and it was years ago). Upgrading AIR would be tricky (what with the lack of an AIR archive download page to find different versions to try) but maybe my suggestion is worth a shot.
I've uploaded Adobe AIR v32.0.0.125 here if you want to give it a try (it's the only Adobe version of the AIR runtime I have): [Link removed.]

Create a new admin user profile on your computer and then try installing Harman AIR v33.1.1.744 and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under the new user account in case a corrupt user profile is somehow part of the problem.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.

Thanks once again Steven.  I will try your suggested solution and report back.  FWIW, I was just about at the point of reinstalling Windows yesterday when I realized that the only option would have me reinstalling ALL my programs.  That's just a step too far for me right now.  I am skeptical about how completely the System File Check and DISM options in Windows work.  I took the kernelbase.dll file from my Wife's computer (the one where JBOX Pro works) and put it on a USB stick and ran a binary compare with what's in my windows/system32 folder.  The files match EXACTLY, BYTE FOR BYTE.  So, it's not a discrepancy in kernelbase.dll that's causing this. 

I've seen the user profile suggestion somewhere else in the last couple of days.  I think I'll try that first and swap out AIR versions if that doesn't work.  The fact that JBPRo works on the wife's computer and not on mine leads me to that approach.

Well the good news is that Jbpro failing IS PROBABLY A PROFILE issue.  The bad news it that it took me parts of 4 days and a lot of Windows craziness to confirm this.  I have always resisted having to sign in to my own darned computer,  so I used netplwiz magic to turn that requirement off.  Hit the power button, wait a few seconds and I'm in.  To create a new profile, I first needed to be able to sign in.  If you've forgotten your password that's not possible.  I went through several rounds of trying to prove my identify to MS and they are totally useless.  Tried many other approaches.  Without digressing too far, you need a new admin user.  In your C:\users directory a  profile will be created with the first four letters of that user's email (actually the first four of their id).  If you go through the appropriate set up password hoops (which are totally crazy and inconsistent) you eventually get a c:\users\newid record indicating a id you can sign into.  Do that (sign in) and run JBPRO from that and it works.  What's wrong with your "standard" profile is beyond me.  I could run file comparisons between the old profile where jbpro doesn't work and the new one.  But life is too short.  I can run it by signing on to the new profile or going to another computer where it works.   That's all I need and all I have time for. 

If somewhere there is someone actively supporting JBPRO (? Simpleviewer folks out in California?) they need to have a test setup with computers and software that people actually use ... which still includes Windows 10) and figure out what's going on.  It there is a developer actually working on this actively I'd be happy to share my experience but for now I have to move on.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you've finally got JuiceboxBuilder-Pro working but I'm sorry to hear of the hassle you had to go through.

Just for the record, since the release of Juicebox-Pro, I've used JuiceboxBuilder-Pro with every iteration of Windows without issue and I've never signed into Windows with a Microsoft account. I've always (even now, on Windows 11) used a local account and I never even bothered with a password until Microsoft enforced it. I never encountered the KERNELBASE issue (although, admittedly, all my local accounts were admin accounts).

Anyway, I'm glad you've got it working. Thank you for letting me know.

After two weeks mucking with this ... my conclusion is that it's probably not a dll issue.  The same dll on two computers or even two user profiles on the same computer works fine.  Somehow, at some point say in the last 6 months JBPRO got corrupted on my admin profile on Windows.  I have no idea why.  Trying to uninstall and reinstall it does nothing.  I can create (after jumping through Many Microsoft hoops) a new profile on the same computer, and JBPRO will run from that. 

It's a marginally acceptable short term solution.  However, working with more than one profile is a Windows p.i.t.a.  Settings that you've spent years customizing (show extensions for file types in Explorer just for example) aren't there in the new profile. 

It's partly my own fault for losing my Windows local password.  And they (Microsoft) have a p.i.t.a. process for recovering it ... the only way you can communicate with them is by filling out a form with info proving who you are ... and there is no provision on the form for some of the info they require.  They won't accept an email.  And they limit the number of forms you can send.  Hopeless.  Reinstalling Windows from scratch, maybe even on a new computer and being more careful with passwords is going to be the longer term solution. 

Thanks once again for your help @Steven.

You're welcome.

I feel your pain. Sometimes re-installing Windows is the less arduous option.