Topic: Juicebox Pro LightRoom images do not show when exported

I am running on a MacPro BigSur JuiceBox Pro using the Lightroom plug in.
After creating the LR gallery, which seems to work ok, when I export it to a folder on my hard drive, I open the index.html file in a browser (Firefox) and I get the background color I selected, but I do not get any images displayed. There are 72 images in the LR gallery, but none display in the browser.

When I try to open the same file in Chrome, I get a gray screen saying that Juicebox cannot display in this browser.

When I open in Safari, the error report is Config file not found.
I attach the config file below

I have not loaded the site to my server.

Post's attachments

config.xml 20.66 kb, 2 downloads since 2021-04-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Juicebox Pro LightRoom images do not show when exported

Please see this forum post for an explanation and workaround.
I hope it helps.

3 (edited by cabrackett01 2021-04-24 17:45:15)

Thank you for your reply. However, the point was that when the index.html file was opened in Firefox, I did get the background color specified in the LR plug-in, but the images did not show up.

I checked the forum post and found that the workaround had already been applied previously, so that was not the issue anyway.

I would like to add some more files to show the details, but I find no way to accomplish that at this point. So, here is a summary:

1. There are 72 images in the LR Library Grid View. But when the Web view is activated, I get an appropriate view of the intended gallery except that there are only 7 image thumbnails shown. Within the context of the 7 thumbs, the gallery works fine, text items and formatting all work as expected.

2. When exported to a folder, that gallery folder contains five files: config.xml, images, index.html, jbcore, and thumbs. The images folder and thumbs folder have all 72 images in them. The jbcore folder contains the folder/files: classic, full.html, juicebox.js, juicebox.php and pswd.php.

3. I did look into the javascript file for errors and the only thing found was an extra semicolon that did not make any difference when it was removed, so I returned it.

I am attaching some of these files (not the images or thumbs) below.

Charles

Here is the index file for the gallery as exported from LR.

Post's attachments

index.textClipping 181 b, 5 downloads since 2021-04-24 

here is the LR Web display screenshot

Post's attachments

LR Gallery screenshot.png 1.07 mb, 1 downloads since 2021-04-24 

I do note the following:
My Juicebox-Pro juicebox.js file appears to have version 1.5.0. Is this a problem. All

Post's attachments

index.rtf 18.97 kb, 1 downloads since 2021-04-24 

Sorry, when you said that you saw the "Config file not found." error in Safari, I thought that the problem might have been the local viewing issue noted in the forum thread I linked to.

On further investigation, it looks like the problem is with the use of double-quotes in some of your linkURLs (in your gallery's 'conffig.xml'; file), e.g.:

linkURL="Dunes II, oil on board, 32"H x 48"W"

The double-quote after '32' is closing off the linkURL's opening double-quote and the text after the double-quote is breaking the XML syntax.

I get an appropriate view of the intended gallery except that there are only 7 image thumbnails shown.

7 thumbnails are displayed as the first error in the XML file appears in the data for the 8th image.

A linkURL is intended to be a URL (either relative or absolute) and the link is used when the visitor clicks the Open Image button or the Download Button. (If an image does not have a custom linkURL associated with it, then Juicebox will, by default, use the imageURL instead for the Open Image button and the Download button.)
Your linkURLs are not actually links (so your Download button will not work) and, even if your linkURLs were valid links, they should not really contain double-quotes. (Stick to web-safe alpha-numeric characters for URLs and all should be well.)

Just deselect the 'Link URL' checkbox (in the 'Image Info' control panel) and that should hopefully fix your problem.

(Thank you for providing all the files and information that you have. It has certainly made troubleshooting your problem that much easier. Initially, I opened your gallery's XML file in a text editor and missed the issue. It was not until I opened your gallery's XML file directly in a browser that I saw the problem.)

My Juicebox-Pro juicebox.js file appears to have version 1.5.0. Is this a problem. All

If you like, you can upgrade to the latest version (v1.5.1). Upgrades are free within the same major version number and download links always point towards the latest version (rather than the version you purchased).
Full instructions for upgrading can be found here.

Incidentally, I've removed the link to your 'juicebox.js' file. We don't want to make it easy for non-registered users to download Pro files (even though it's an old version and a single Pro file out of context will be of little use to anyone).
I appreciate you uploading so many files for troubleshooting, though. Thanks!

That did the trick. I would never have found that. The URL link in the configuration panel was always a confusion to me.

So, once again, Thanks

So here is the next question regarding the above discussion:

I want to embed the resultant image galleries in stylized pages. I typically use Dreamweaver to do that from the Juicebox Builder output, and it works fine. However...

The reason I wanted to use the LR plugin rather than JuiceBox-Builder is because I wanted to keep the images in the gallery all in the desired order, which in JB-Builder would require several extra steps of exporting the image batch with a sequence number pre-pended, as jpegs, and then doing the JB-Builder thing on the new ordered-list of images. In LR, the order of the images stays the same. For dozens of images in each folder, this saves a lot of time.

However, once I get the LR Web Gallery output, it is not clear what is the easiest or best way to bring the result into the stylized pages (that have a header, a set of predefined styles in a CSS file, etc.) Essentially the same page that I would have used to embed the JuiceBox Builder content.

It seems there are two ways: copy info from the JBB file into the "Mother" page, or copy the html from the "Mother" page into the JBB page.

Do you have any suggestion. Looking at the destination page html and the JBB page html, it is not clear to me that the same config file applies as would the one from the LR Web module. Etc.

Seems more complex than I thought.
I am sending two files: The first is a file titled Abstracts.html and is the Mother page with an embed from JB-Builder (but not the same set of images exactly). The second file is the index file from the LR Web Module.

As Always, JuiceBox support has made the product for me. Thanks

Post's attachments

Abstracts copy.txt 4.11 kb, 1 downloads since 2021-04-25 

Here is the LR Web Module output file

Post's attachments

index copy.txt 3.43 kb, 1 downloads since 2021-04-25 

I'm glad that you've got the linkURL problem sorted out. Thank you for letting me know.

I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having with image ordering in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
It sounds like you're happy with the workaround that you are using (the Lightroom plugin) and that's great.
Just in case it helps, though, it is possible to reorder images on JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Images' tab without the need to rename any images.
You can sort image by File Name and by File Date (and also both in reverse) via the 'Images -> Sort' menu from the drop-down menu at the top.
Additionally, you can drag and drop thumbnails on the 'Images' tab into a custom order. (Ctrl+Clicking a selection of thumbnails and Shift+Clicking a block of images also works.)

With regard to embedding a gallery into an existing web page alongside other content, a gallery created by the Lightroom plugin is essentially exactly the same as a gallery created by JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
There may be slight formatting differences (whitespace) in the output files but the gallery structure and methods of embedding are identical to one another.

You can follow the regular Embedding in a HTML Page instructions documented here for Lightroom plugin-generated galleries (just like you have done for JuiceboxBuilder-Pro galleries).
The Lightroom plugin does not present the embedding code (like JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does on the 'Publish' tab) but you can grab it from the gallery's 'index.html' file.
Just open the gallery's 'index.html' file in a plain text editor and copy everything between the <!--START JUICEBOX EMBED--> and <!--END JUICEBOX EMBED--> tags. That's the embedding code that the instructions (here) refer to in Step #3.

Alternatively, you could use the baseUrl method of embedding documented here.
This method allows you to keep the gallery as a self-contained entity in its own folder (rather than copying the contents of the gallery folder into the folder containing the page with the gallery's embedding code), but you'll need to tweak the embedding code slightly. You'll need to:
(1) Make sure that the path to the 'juicebox.js' file (in the <script> tag at the top of the embedding code) is correct.
(2) Add a baseUrl entry to the embedding code to point towards the gallery folder.
(3) Adjust the image paths in the SEO content.
Check out the instructions for an example.

3. I did look into the javascript file for errors and the only thing found was an extra semicolon that did not make any difference when it was removed, so I returned it.

Incidentally, I meant to ask, where exactly did you find the extra semicolon? As you say, it's probably not a problem but it sounds like it does not need to be there. If you could let me know where it is, I'll let the developers know. Thank you.

Some Feedback related to above:
1. The Website I am now finished with contains 6 gallery pages with as many as 71 images on the largest gallery. Therefore, doing a manual ordering of files in the JuiceBox Builder app is not a practical way of doing things. I tried using the Lightroom plugin, and as much as I like it, when I get to embedding the output into the pages, I continually got lost. So, I reverted to the far simpler but more time-consuming method of creating ordered images for each gallery with a numbering prefix to sort things out. I did not find that just importing the image files would do that unless I had numerically ordered them. A simple solution, repeatable, but a bit time-consuming.

2. I have not had time to go back and find the extra semicolon. It apparently does not affect things.

Thanks again for your very helpful support.

You can see the finished site here: www.billhyslopart.com

Best

I appreciate the additional notes (and I'm glad that you have found a workflow that works for you) but I still don't fully understand your image ordering problem. (I guess I just don't know what order you'd like your images to be in. It sounds like you're looking for a non-algorithmically-sortable custom order.)
In JuiceboxBuilder, you can automatically order images by file name or by file date (using the 'Images -> Sort' option from the drop-down menu at the top). If neither of these two ordering structures is what you are looking for, then the only two options (to achieve a custom order) would be:
(1) drag and drop images into a custom order on the 'Images' tab.
(2) rename your images in the desired order so that the file name order works.
If you're looking for a custom order, then I don't think there's a third option and if what you are currently doing (#2) is faster than the alternative (#1), then stick with it!

I tried using the Lightroom plugin, and as much as I like it, when I get to embedding the output into the pages, I continually got lost.

Embedding a gallery generated by the Lightroom plugin is the same as embedding a gallery generated by JuiceboxBuilder.
The only difference is where you get the embedding code from.
In JuiceboxBuilder, you can copy the embedding code directly from the 'Publish' tab.
For the Lightroom plugin, open the gallery's index.html' file in a plain text editor and copy everything between the <!--START JUICEBOX EMBED--> and <!--END JUICEBOX EMBED--> tags.
Everything is the same thereafter.

With regard to the semi-colon, no problem. As you suggest, a stray semi-colon will not break anything (but if we knew where it was, we could perhaps tidy up the code).

In any case, I'm glad you've been able to work around your problems and that things are going well.
Your website looks great!