Topic: Drupal embedded gallery problem with iPhone

I am working on a new website with Drupal as the CMS. I created a page which simply contains the following embedding code:

<!--START JUICEBOX EMBED--><script src="/CNI2012/gallery/songbirds/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script><script>
new juicebox({
containerId : "juicebox-container",
baseUrl : "/CNI2012/gallery/songbirds/",
galleryWidth: "870",
galleryHeight: "600",
backgroundColor: "#222222"
});
</script>
<div id="juicebox-container">
    &nbsp;</div>
<!--END JUICEBOX EMBED-->

When the page is viewed on a PC (IE9), everything is fine. However, if I view the page in Safari on my iPhone, I see the splash screen correctly, but slelecting "view gallery" gets me:

Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found

Why should this be happening since the songbirds directory contains the config.xml file and the images, jbcore, and thumbs directories.

Re: Drupal embedded gallery problem with iPhone

A few things to check and try:

(1) Make sure that you are using the latest version of Juicebox-Pro (v1.1.1).
(2) Try re-uploading your gallery's 'jbcore' folder to ensure that all required files are present and correct.
(3) Try using absolute URLs in your embedding code to see if this makes a difference.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look.

I am using the latest version, and I tried uploading the whole folder again with the same result. I am not sure what you really mean by "absolute URLs", since I tried various things but they made it not work even on a PC browser.

Here is a link to the test website gallery that I am trying to build:

http://www.capturingnaturesimages.com/CNI2012/node/5

Please note that this works fine with IE9 on a PC, but has the problem noted on an iPhone Safari browser. I don't have an iPad, so I have no idea what it would do on that...

Thank you for providing the URL to your gallery.
Your gallery displays correctly when I view it in Mobile Safari on my iPod Touch (the gallery displays OK when I tap on the Splash Page and the 'Config XML file not found' message is not displayed) so it should also display correctly on your iPhone.
Try clearing your browser's cache before reloading the gallery to see if this makes a difference.

Sorry, I have been away but just tried your suggestion. I cleared all Safari data and cookies from my iPhone, but the result was the same. Tapping on the splash page got me the same "XML file not found".

I am baffeled...

I have just tried viewing your gallery again in both Mobile Safari and Chrome 21 on my iPod Touch and the gallery functions correctly in both browsers (the gallery displays correctly when I tap the Splash Page).
There seems to be no problem with your gallery's embedding code and all seems well when I view the gallery myself.

A few things to try which may not solve the problem but might get us closer to finding a solution are:
(1) Try opening the gallery's XML file directly in your browser and then try viewing the gallery afterwards: http://www.capturingnaturesimages.com/CNI2012/gallery/songbirds/config.xml
(2) Try downloading and using the Chrome Browser App (free) on your iPhone to see if your gallery works in this browser on your iPhone.
(3) Try using an absolute URL for the baseUrl in your gallery's embedding code, i.e.:

baseUrl: 'http://www.capturingnaturesimages.com/CNI2012/gallery/songbirds/',

Well, I have tried all 3 items in your previous post to no avail. I would certainly like to know if anyone has successfully used an iPhone with a gallery.

I am currently on 1.1.1, so I am going to update to 1.1.2 and hope for the best...

An interesting update for your consideration. I updated to 1.1.2, rebuilt my gallery and the result was the same as with 1.1.1.

However I then modified the gallery to change "Show Splash Page" to "NEVER".

When that was viewed on the iPhone, the rows of thumbnails (3 in my case for 17 images) was displayed correctly on the page. Selecting a thumbnail then correctly displayed the selected image. I could also drag the image right/left to show the preceding/following image.

I can also get back to the thumbnail page by selecting the thumbnail nav button on the top of the gallery.  Attempting to use fullscreen expand, however, gets me the same "Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found" error.

So it would appear that (at least on my iPhone) the transition from the splash page to the thumbnails is the location of this problem.

Hope this gets you a little further...

Are you perhaps viewing your gallery on your mobile device over a 3G connection?
If so, please see this FAQ: Why can't I view my gallery on a 3G mobile connection?
I have just viewed your new Juicebox-Pro v1.2.0 gallery and the 'Expand Button' works fine on my iPod Touch over a wi-fi connection (just like you Splash Page worked fine previously).

10 (edited by mrambo333 2012-11-08 01:15:30)

I as well am having an issue with people being able to view a gallery on an iPhone.  I am using base url with absolute urls to embed multiple galleries in an HTML 5 page.  I have checked, and it views fine in all browsers, including Safari, and the built in Android browser, but will not view on iPhone.  I get the error "Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found."  This is over wi-fi, not 3G.  We are considering purchasing the full version for our site, but this is a deal breaker, as the owner is big on being able to see everything via mobile, and he uses an iPhone. 

Please view this with an iPhone.

www.arcremodelers.com/gallery.html

Here is a link to the screen shot from the iPhone: http://arcremodelers.com/images/iPhoneJuice.png

Thank you!

By the way, andersrl, your photos are beautiful!

@mrambo333

First of all, I notice that your Juicebox galleries use Juicebox-Lite v1.1.1.
Please try upgrading them to Juicebox-Lite v1.2.0 as many bugs have been fixed since v1.1.1.
Please see the Juicebox - Version History for a full list of changes.
Please see here for instructions on upgrading existing galleries.

Also, your baseUrl is:

baseUrl : 'http://www.arcremodelers.com/gallery/Alcott_Juice/',

... so your gallery will display only when you access your web page using the 'www.arcremodelers.com' URL and not 'arcremodelers.com'. The gallery files must be on the same domain as the embedding code. This is due to the JavaScript same origin policy. Please see here for further details.
Try using a relative URL for your baseUrl (rather than an absolute URL), e.g.:

baseUrl : 'gallery/Alcott_Juice/',

Thank you.

I had been using the relative baseUrl previously, and switched to absolute in an attempt to resolve the xml issue.

After upgrading to the latest version and switching everything seems to be working great on the iPhone!  Thank you.