Topic: Can't create gallery on Blue Host [SOLVED]

I had used Go Daddy for sometime, and after some much-appreciated help on these forums, had become proficient at creating and posting galleries.

I've switched to Blue Host, but can't get the galleries to work. They seem to be uploaded, but aren't working. I contact Blue Host, and their "help" was to say they can assist with WordPress sites, but not with "hand-coded" sites (apparently mine is this?). I create the pages in SiteSpinner Pro, then create JB galleries and embed them.

Anyone have success with JB galleries on Blue Host? Any thoughts? Thanks

Re: Can't create gallery on Blue Host [SOLVED]

I expect that the problem is likely to be a path issue (a file missing or in the wrong place on your web server).
Please check that all your gallery files have been uploaded successfully to your web server and ensure that the paths in the gallery's embedding code are correct.
If you continue to experience difficulties, then please post back with a link to your gallery's web page so that I can see the problem for myself and help further.
Once I'm able to see the problem live on your web server, I should hopefully be able to determine the exact cause of the problem and propose a solution.
Thank you.

As far as I can tell, I created and embedded the galleries the same as I did in the past.

davebreen.com/jhbsocber20.html is one that has a page but no images.

I've attached a screenshot from my cPanel file manager on Blue Host. Hopefully you can spot something. I tried to attach a second one of just the specific gallery, but I can't.

Does using caps make a difference (I had understood it doesn't).

Thanks

Post's attachments

davebreen.PNG 130.8 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I'm seeing if I enter the url of the gallery as given, it open a WordPress "coming" page.

When I enter it as davebreen.com/JHBsocBer20.html, it opens the page I created (but with no gallery).

I guess caps DO matter.

I guess caps DO matter.

Yes. Most web servers are case-sensitive so 'JHBsocBer20' (for example) is different to 'jhbsocber20'.
In your http://davebreen.com/JHBsocBer20.html page, you have the following line in your gallery's embedding code:

<script src="jhbsocber20/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>

Therefore, the browser is trying to load the 'juicebox.js' file from this location: http://davebreen.com/jhbsocber20/jbcore/juicebox.js
... but the file is not there.
The line of code should be:

<script src="JHBsocBer20/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>

Also, your baseUrl entry should be:

baseURL: "JHBsocBer20/",

I hope this helps and points you in the right direction.

Thanks. I've redone all the names to lower case (except where they show on the gallery page).

I still don't see the galleries. Did you discover anything to explain this? Do you know if there is anything different with Blue Host?

It looks like the folder name on your server is still 'JHBsocBer20'.
If you are changing all path references to lowercase, then you'll need to change this folder name to 'jhbsocber20', too
Everything else looks to be in place and I don't think you should be having any issues specifically because of Blue Host.
Hopefully, once you rename your gallery folder to lowercase, your gallery should display as expected.

I just changed names to lower case in the last half-hour. On my cPanel folder tree, I see two folders with caps (see attached), but the html file contained is lower case. Do I need to change the folder name? It looks like I may need to delete it and upload a new version; I was able to make other changes within the cPanel.

I just changed to all lowercase on the server using Filezilla (cPanel didn't let me). I don't know if changes take a while to appear. I'll check it later to see if that did it. I appreciate your assistance.

It looks like there's a typo in your baseUrl entry.
Change:

baseURL: "jhbsocer20/",

... to:

baseURL: "jhbsocber20/",

I don't know if changes take a while to appear.

Changes can take a while to appear if your web server employs server-side caching.
If you find that changes do not take effect immediately, then ask your web host if they would be willing to disable server-side caching on your hosting account. (You might be able to change this yourself in your hosting account's online control panel.)

OK, as far as I know the cap issue is corrected. I read somewhere about updating PHP (I don't know what that is), and BlueHost indicated I was using 7.0 which was deprecated, so I updated to 7.3.

At this point, I get an error 404 notice when I enter davebreen.com/jhbsocber20.html . Yesterday, I at least found a blue page with the gallery name (but no gallery).

When I enter davebreen.com/jhbsocatl20.html I get a WordPress "coming soon" page. I did install WP in case I needed it, but have not created any pages in it. I don't know how to uninstall it.

The necessary files seem to be in place, so I have no idea why it isn't working. Do you have/need access to my BH info to troubleshoot this issue? I'll be glad to provide you my login.

I don't find a way to disable caching, but have not contact BH yet.

Thanks

OK, as far as I know the cap issue is corrected.

Yes, your gallery at http://davebreen.com/jhbsocber20.html now displays correctly. If you do not see your gallery at this address, then please completely clear your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page to ensure that your browser is fetching the current files from your web server (and not using older, cached versions from your computer's hard drive).
(The gallery is working so if you do not see it, the issue if most likely a browser caching issue.)

I read somewhere about updating PHP (I don't know what that is), and BlueHost indicated I was using 7.0 which was deprecated, so I updated to 7.3.

PHP is a server-side scripting language. Some web pages may contain PHP code. The PHP code is processed on your web server before the web page is delivered to the user's browser. This allows for a dynamic (rather than just a static) website.
If any of your web pages use PHP, then you'll need to have PHP installed on your web server.
For example, WordPress is a PHP web application which requires PHP. It will not work without PHP.
Juicebox-Pro requires PHP for two functions, namely the Download Button and Password Protection. PHP 5.2 or later is required for these functions but, if you do not use them, then your Juicebox gallery will run quite happily without PHP being available.

When I enter davebreen.com/jhbsocatl20.html I get a WordPress "coming soon" page.

When you visit any URL which does not exist on your web server, your web server defaults to displaying the "WordPress Coming Soon" page as your site's error 404 (file not found) page. You can change this error 404 page if you like but you'll need to find out where it is being set on your web server. (Your web host should be able to help you out with this.)

I did install WP in case I needed it, but have not created any pages in it.

WordPress is a PHP web application which allows users to create a website or blog online in a web browser interface.
You do not need WordPress installed in order to have Juicebox galleries on your website.
However, if you do use WordPress, then there is a dedicated Juicebox plugin for WordPress (WP-Juicebox) which allows you to create and embed galleries into WordPress pages and posts from within the WordPress interface (without having to build your galleries on your computer with JuiceboxBuilder).
If you do not want to use WordPress for your website, then there is absolutely no need for it in order to have Juicebox galleries.

I don't know how to uninstall it.

If you installed WordPress through your online hosting account's control panel, then there may be a way to uninstall it through the control panel, too. I'd investigate this first (ask your web host, they'll know) before you start manually deleting any files.

I don't find a way to disable caching, but have not contact BH yet.

From what I've seen of your website and the changes you've made, I do not see any evidence of server-side caching but if you make any changes and don't see them immediately, then it's just something to bear in mind which might be causing the problem.

The necessary files seem to be in place, so I have no idea why it isn't working.

As I mentioned above, your http://davebreen.com/jhbsocber20.html gallery is now displaying and functioning fine and if you don't see it yourself, then please try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page.

I hope my notes above help to clarify a few things.
If you are having trouble with any other galleries, just post links to them and I'll try to help further.

THANK YOU!!! I missed this post yesterday, but had discovered a different gallery was now displaying. I had tried the one you linked, too, but couldn't see if; that may have been a caching issue.

I look forward to creating and posting more galleries. Thanks again.

You're welcome!
I hope you get on OK with your other galleries.
I'll mark this thread as [SOLVED] but if you run into any further problems, just create a new thread and I'll do my best to help you out.

@feedtalenine

If you are experiencing difficulties of your own, then please post a new topic with details of the problems that you are facing and I'll do my best to help you out.
Thank you.

feedtalenine -- The gallery linked in Steven's post above is active, and I've been able to create more since then. (There are many soccer galleries linked from my home page.) I trust he'll be able to help you, too.

@dbphoto

Thanks for replying.
feedtalenine was actually a spammer... bumped an old post with an innocent enough looking question.
It looked suspicious from the get go but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and keep an eye on things.
Just as suspected, a few days later, he edits the post to include a couple of spam links.
I've now removed feedtalenine from the forum and deleted al his posts.

I'm glad all is well with your website!