1 (edited by DX2300 2020-01-10 18:56:27)

Topic: Increase width of images to give captions more room

Here's a way to control the width of the container that displays the caption.
Caption - Max Caption Height will set how tall the container is;
But I've found no formal way to set the width; when the caption is set to display below the picture/stage.

If one has a narrow picture that has a long caption, it can be unattractive, as well as hard to read; IMHO.

I made an image just larger than the largest image in my gallery, and filled it with the color of the background used in the gallery. That's the new background image.

Copy/Pasted my narrow image on top of the new background image and centered it at the top of that new background image. Save image. The size in width of the image will control the width of the caption container.

One could use a set width for the new background image for use throughout a gallery keeping them all the same, or adjust the width of each picture to change the width if the caption container to fit the text associated with that image.

I found that making the narrow image even just a little wider, I can cut down on the number of rows of caption text by at least half.

https://scrot.cloud/images/2020/01/05/e … e_nice.png

Add your tips in the new Tricks and Tips section.
Not only do you get to show the world how clever you are but also how generous. :)

Re: Increase width of images to give captions more room

If anyone wants to extend the width of their images (for a wider caption width when setting captionPosition="BELOW_IMAGE"), then you might like to try using IrfanView (a free image viewer/editor for Windows users) to do so. There's a fairy easy way to do this quickly and easily (without having to create a background image and then copy, paste and center the actual image on top of it).
In IrfanView, open your image and select 'Image -> Change canvas size...'. You can then extend the canvas of the image to the left, right, top and bottom (all independently of each other) by however many pixels you like and you can choose whatever color you want as the canvas (background).
You could even do this for many images at once as a batch process via 'File -> Batch Conversion/Rename... -> Use advanced options (checkbox) -> Advanced (button) -> Canvas size (checkbox) -> Settings (button)'.

Otherwise, some users might just like to use captionPosition="BOTTOM" or captionPosition="BELOW_THUMBS" for a wider caption width than captionPosition="BELOW_IMAGE" may provide (depending on the layout of the layout of the gallery).

Re: Increase width of images to give captions more room

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

You could even do this for many images at once as a batch process via 'File -> Batch Conversion/Rename... -> Use advanced options (checkbox) -> Advanced (button) -> Canvas size (checkbox) -> Settings (button)'.

Nice. Thanks.

DX2300