Topic: Gallery display problem

Despite installing Pro 1.5.1, adding the image files, and uploading it all to my server via ftp, my website gallery is only showing 50 images. Over 1800 images have been added and all are showing in the config file and in the Juicebox gallery interface. I did try out Lite before buying Pro, but only used 20 images - and all Lite files have been removed from my server. The number of thumbnails is correct also.
Is there a license file that needs to be added somewhere, or another file that determines the gallery image access and display? Have checked everything I can think of with Notepad ++ . Cannot find anything wrong.

Re: Gallery display problem

Is there a license file that needs to be added somewhere, or another file that determines the gallery image access and display?

No. As long as your gallery uses the Pro 'jbcore' folder (rather than the Lite version), then your gallery will be Juicebox-Pro (with no branding and no image limit).

It sounds like your problem might be due to caching (either server-side or in your browser).

First of al, try completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page to be sure that your browser is fetching the latest gallery files from your web server (instead of using older cached ones).

If clearing your browser's cache does not help, then the problem may be due to server-side caching (your web server still serving up older cached files even after replacing them with newer versions).
Please check with your web host to see if they have server-side caching enabled on your hosting account and ask them if they would be willing and able to disable it from your hosting package.

Caching certainly has it uses but it can also sometimes be a hindrance to development.

I hope my notes above help to resolve your problem.
However, if you continue to experience difficulties, then please post the URL to your gallery's web page and I'll take a look at your gallery and let you know what I see/find.
Thank you.

Ok, I've figured out the problem. It wasn't a caching problem - there was no cache, either on my browser or my server.

I removed everything and re-installed, but the gallery wouldn't show at all (blank page), so played a hunch and did a test of 100 images. It seems the images have to be in the same level directory as Juicebox. The software can't process images stored in a subdirectory. I presume this also affects embedded code, since that webpage didn't work in a subdirectory either.

For the record, the software cannot process more than 150 or so images at a time, or it crashes, losing anything processed since the last save - so it's necessary to save often for large galleries.

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to return to the gallery upload page after saving, since large numbers of images have to be done in batches.

Do love the interface and the look of the gallery. Thanks for this!

I'm glad to hear that you have been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you for letting me know.

Here are a few notes which might help with a few other things...

It seems the images have to be in the same level directory as Juicebox.

If you create a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, the application uses the default gallery structure and saves the images to a folder named 'images' directly inside the gallery folder.
The web page containing the gallery's embedding code should also be directly inside the gallery folder (for example, the 'index.html' file generated by JuiceboxBuilder-Pro).
You can change the location of the images if you like but you'd also need to manually change the paths to the images and thumbnails (the imageURL and thumbURL entries) in the gallery's 'config.xml' file (so that Juicebox knows where they are).
The imageURL and thumbURL entries can be either absolute paths (staring with http:// or https://) or relative paths (relative to the web page containing the gallery's embedding code).

If you want to move the entire gallery folder away from the web page containing the embedding code, you can use a baseURL in the embedding code to point towards the gallery folder.
In doing so, you can have the gallery folder anywhere on your web server (with no need to modify any paths in the gallery's 'config.xml' file).
Instructions for using a baseUrl can be found here.

For the record, the software cannot process more than 150 or so images at a time, or it crashes, losing anything processed since the last save - so it's necessary to save often for large galleries.

There is no limit to the number of images that you can have in a gallery but, as you have discovered, you might not be able to add all the images to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro at once.

Unfortunately, if you try to add many images to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro at once, then Adobe AIR (the platform on which JuiceboxBuilder-Pro runs) may not be able to allocate enough memory for the task at hand. Even if your computer has plenty of free RAM, Adobe AIR applications are limited to around 1GB of memory allocation (as far as I can recall).
The workaround (as you are aware) is to add your images in multiple smaller batches. Trial and error will help to determine a safe number of images per batch (it will depend on your own images). From your notes, it sounds like you should be able to add images in batches of 150 (or fewer).

I hope that adding your images in a few separate actions instead of just one is not too much of an inconvenience although I realise that it is not ideal.

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to return to the gallery upload page after saving, since large numbers of images have to be done in batches.

You should be able to go back to the image upload page after saving a gallery (or after opening an existing gallery). Just click the 'Images' tab (between 'Start' and 'Customize') and you can add more images to a gallery (which you can then re-save on the 'Publish' tab).
Otherwise, try going to 'Images -> Add...' (Ctrl+A) from the drop-down menu at the top.

I hope these notes help to clarify a few things.

5 (edited by treasurechambers 2019-12-04 17:54:22)

Thanks for this information regarding the gallery directory structure. I didn't see this stated anywhere in any of your troubleshooting or other user help files (or this forum) - and I did look. I suspected this might be the problem, but the config and index pages showed the correct path, so I thought the problem was elsewhere. Perhaps a warning about this might be helpful for new users.

I have plenty of RAM in this computer, in fact that's the one thing I always add to a new computer (I always use a desktop) before I even boot it the first time. The problem with Adobe Air is pretty consistent with Adobe's other products. You do it their way, or you don't use it - or expect hang-ups and software crashes. Their Reader DC has the latter issues too. A piece of junk. Luckily, I also have Acrobat Pro.

As a long-time computer user (since the early 90s), I've always organized my directories to keep software on a separate logical drive from user files. It just makes things easier when it comes time to switch computers, and prevents loss of data when software is replaced or becomes unstable. Some software insists on using the Windows (for instance) user directory as default. I don't like it, but often there is no choice, or changing it causes more problems. Juicebox is the only software I've had to install in my own directory, with the material. Not a huge problem, now that I know.

It's not a huge inconvenience to load the images in batches, but when I click on the Images tab after saving, I get the open new/existing gallery page, not the already opened gallery I'm working on. This IS annoying, because a large gallery takes some time to open. I'll see if the menu item works better - but even a page back option would be a help. Should mention that I can upload 150 images several times before saving, but am cautious since I can't be sure it will work with a large number of images.

I'm gradually migrating to a Linux computer, so will be installing Juicebox on that too. I presume my license will be fine on a second computer? The same website will be involved.

Thanks again for your clarification.

It's not a huge inconvenience to load the images in batches, but when I click on the Images tab after saving, I get the open new/existing gallery page, not the already opened gallery I'm working on.

That's odd. The 'Images' tab should take you back to the page where you can add or remove images. You should see the 'New Gallery...' and 'Open Gallery...' buttons only after clicking the 'Start' tab.
I have never seen the 'Images' tab redirect to the 'Start' page and, as far as I can recall, no-one else has ever reported such a problem before.
It sounds like a bug but I've been unable to replicate it (even after adding many images to a gallery in batches and then saving the gallery on the 'Publish' tab like you are doing).
What happens if you simply open JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, click 'New Gallery...', drag and drop a couple of images into the gallery, go to the 'Customize' tab and then immediately back to the 'Images' tab?
If you can provide me with a complete set of steps that I can use to replicate the problem, I'll try to reproduce it myself and log a bug report with the developers if necessary. Thank you.

I'm gradually migrating to a Linux computer, so will be installing Juicebox on that too.

Adobe no longer provide Adobe AIR for Linux but you can find the last version for Linux (v2.6) on their archive page here.
JuiceboxBuilder-Pro requires Adobe AIR v2.0 or later so it should run fine under Adobe AIR v2.6 on Linux.

I presume my license will be fine on a second computer? The same website will be involved.

Yes, that would be no problem at all. You can install and use JuiceboxBuilder-Pro on up to three different computers, as noted in the FAQ below.
Can I install on multiple computers?

7 (edited by treasurechambers 2019-12-05 23:02:51)

Apologies, I discovered the error was mine regarding being unable to return to the gallery I was working on. When I re-installed Pro, after deleting all the files, there was no desktop shortcut generated, and I couldn't find a way to create one (the software does not seem to allow this from the taskbar), so I launhed Air instead, from the directory, which then launched Pro. But there was no Images option on the menu. So I took a chance and restored the shortcut from trash and it worked and I got the full menu. Now I can go back to the gallery I'm working on. Problem solved. Sorry to have caused confusion.

I should probably mention I'm still using Windows 8 on this computer. Maybe it works differently in Win 10.

As an aside, when I upgraded to Pro from Lite, the branding stayed in the lower right corner, despite the interface claiming I was using Pro. That was when I realized there were issues with the directory path (and a possible conflict with Lite), so I deleted both versions and reinstalled Pro and moved the gallery to the same directory as the software. Live and learn.

Thanks for the Linux Air link. Will try and get that set up next.

Problem solved. Sorry to have caused confusion.

No problem. I'm glad that you've been able to resolve your problem. Thank you for letting me know.

That was when I realized there were issues with the directory path (and a possible conflict with Lite)...

You should be able to install and run both JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro side-by-side on the same computer without any conflict.
By default, they install to different directories (C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro).
In any case, I'm glad that you seem to be working through your difficulties.
Thank you for the update.