Topic: Problem upgrading from 1.4.4.1 naar 1.5.1 on Wordpress [SOLVED]

Sorry to bother but I think this might be asked before.

We have a pro license for our clients. We had 1.4.4.1 working on the machine.

We downloaded 1.5.1 and uploaded and overwritten the jbcore folder through ftp.

However the wp-juicebox/wp-juicebox.php file still gives version 1.4.4.1.

And in the wp-juicebox/jbcore/juicebox.php in says // v1.5.1.1.

Also there is a new file wp-juicebox/jbcore/pswd.php

In wordpress the version is also still 1.4.4.1

What did we do wrong here? Or is there something wrong with the download?

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Re: Problem upgrading from 1.4.4.1 naar 1.5.1 on Wordpress [SOLVED]

There are 2 things to consider:
(1) WP-Juicebox, the Juicebox plugin for WordPress.
(2) The version of Juicebox that the plugin uses.

The plugin comes bundled with the latest version of Juicebox-Lite.

To fully update the plugin, you should first update WP-Juicebox itself, which you can download from the plugin's support page here.
Then, upgrade the plugin to use your current Juicebox-Pro (v1.5.1.1) files by following the instructions here.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further assistance.

Hello Steven,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I already succeeded in doing this today.

What I first did was just uploading the jbcore folder and later I tried to add the pluginthrough wordpress. This however did not work.

In your explanation you could consider adding like ftp client where it says manually.

Is it correct that Tinymce is located inside the existing juicebox plugin folder?

Did this used to be part of juicebox? This would be good to know since we are getting some php errors related to
php 7 on this.

At the moment we have juicebox 1.5.1 working on Wordpress 5 with php 7.3 on an older theme. So for now we are good.

We however did not test on mobile devices

We where having some problems do to php upgrades on our hosting server.

Kind regards,

Douwe

I already succeeded in doing this today.

That's great to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

What I first did was just uploading the jbcore folder and later I tried to add the pluginthrough wordpress. This however did not work.

As you have discovered, you need to update the plugin first (as it comes bundled with Juicebox-Lite). Afterwards, you can upgrade the plugin to use your Juicebox-Pro files.

Is it correct that Tinymce is located inside the existing juicebox plugin folder?

No. The TinyMCE editor was never included within WP-Juicebox.
Older versions of the plugin included code (inside a folder named 'tinymce') to add an 'Add Juicebox Gallery' button to WordPress's own TinyMCE editor toolbar.
However, later versions of the plugin moved the 'Add Juicebox Gallery' button from the TinyMCE editor toolbar to alongside WordPress's 'Add Media' button (and so the TinyMCE code was no longer required and the 'tinymce' folder was removed from the plugin package).

This would be good to know since we are getting some php errors related to php 7 on this.

I have run the current version of WP-Juicebox (v1.5.1) under PHP 7, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 without any problems but if you find any issue with WP-Juicebox under a certain version of PHP, please let me know so that I can investigate further. Thank you.

No. The TinyMCE editor was never included within WP-Juicebox.
Older versions of the plugin included code (inside a folder named 'tinymce') to add an 'Add Juicebox Gallery' button to WordPress's own TinyMCE editor toolbar.
However, later versions of the plugin moved the 'Add Juicebox Gallery' button from the TinyMCE editor toolbar to alongside WordPress's 'Add Media' button (and so the TinyMCE code was no longer required and the 'tinymce' folder was removed from the plugin package).

We updated the older plugin so that is why the TinyMCE folder would be present on the server. Can we just remove the folder?

This would be good to know since we are getting some php errors related to php 7 on this

I have run the current version of WP-Juicebox (v1.5.1) under PHP 7, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 without any problems but if you find any issue with WP-Juicebox under a certain version of PHP, please let me know so that I can investigate further. Thank you

Sorry, I should have been more clear we where getting errors related to TinyMCE and errors related to plugins which came with this older theme. I just wanted to let you know that it is working correct on WP 5 and PHP 7.3

So I have only one question left. Can we safely remove the TinyMCE folder in the Juicebox plugin folder on the server? Or do you have some other suggestion.

Can we safely remove the TinyMCE folder in the Juicebox plugin folder on the server?

If your WP-Juicebox plugin version reads "v1.5.1" on the Plugins page, then yes, you can safely remove the 'tinymce' folder from within the 'plugins/wp-juicebox/' plugin folder. The 'tinymce' folder does not form part of WP-Juicebox v1.5.1.

If you want to be sure that you have no redundant files in your 'plugins/wp-juicebox/' folder, then you can delete the contents of the folder and then upload the contents of the v1.5.1 plugin (making sure that you still have the Pro 'jbcore' folder). You will not lose any gallery information doing this. No gallery-specific data is stored in the 'plugins/wp-juicebox/' folder. All gallery information is stored in the 'uploads/juicebox/' folder and other plugin options are stored in the database.

Thanks very much for your support and replies.

Unfortunately we have run into some sort of bug / issue.

Reproduction steps on Desktop Win 7 Firefox and Chrome:

Expected result: You can select the menu option

Actual Result: The menu option is greyed out as you are also hovering over the WP-Juicebox. The options pop up seems to conflict with the menu.

Of course we can solve this be addding some breaks and lowering the position of the WP-Juicebox. Also soon we will make a new website for this client.

Do you perhaps know some way to solve this? It seems the code conflicts there on hover

The problem is almost certainly a z-index issue.
Juicebox uses z-index values to ensure that certain elements (such as captions and navigation hit areas) are stacked on top of other elements (such as the main images) within the gallery.
Unfortunately, it looks like the gallery z-index values are larger than those of your menu system.

To resolve your problem, assign a z-index value of 9999 to your menu system via CSS to ensure that your menu is stacked on top of all gallery elements.

Adding the following jQuery JavaScript to your page should work (I've tested it on your web page in my own browser's developer tools):

$(document).ready(function() {
    $('.menu-item').css('z-index', '9999');
});

I hope this helps.

Hello Steven,

Thanks this helped. It is however not that simple in Wordpress to add JQuery to a page. Also we have an older theme.

I added this to the wordpress functions.php file

function my_theme_scripts() {
    wp_enqueue_script( 'my-great-script', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/menu_fix.js', array( 'jquery' ), '1.0.0', true );
}
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_theme_scripts' );

And I made a js file callled menu_fix.js and addded your code.

Site with explanation https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/adding … wordpress/

This worked, so it is fixed. Did not test on other devices

You can also add css-classes to menu items. So maybe it could also be done that way.

Thanks a lot!

I'm glad that you have been able to integrate the code into your WordPress web pages.
Thank you for letting me know.

As you suggest, there are numerous ways to add the code to your web pages.
It could certainly be done with just CSS:

.menu-item: z-index: 9999;

I just happened to paste the jQuery code I posted into my browser's developer tools console to make sure that it worked in your gallery's web page.