Topic: Image file name

Hi from France,
I just purchased JuiceBox pro to replace SimpleViewer Pro and to get rid of Adobe Flash. I'm a bit disapointed because of irritating small bugs I will report later.
Much more serious in my case : it seems that JuiceBox does'nt accept image file names with a quote (e.g. "Val d'Aoste.jpg"), while SimpleViewer did. Maybe it's not a good practice to insert quotes in file names, but I did it in a lot of galleries.
As a result, I cannot convert the galleries. I hope not to have to restart from the original files and to type again all captions !
Could you help ?
Regards
Mike

Re: Image file name

Unfortunately, as you have discovered (and as noted in the 'Known Issues' section of the JuiceboxBuilder User Guide), JuiceboxBuilder does not accept images with apostrophes in their filenames.

JuiceboxBuilder will not accept images with the following characters in the filename: #, ? and '. Please rename files before importing to JuiceboxBuilder.

The apostrophe (single quote) is a reserved character and, as far as I am aware, there are no immediate plans to allow JuiceboxBuilder to accept this character.

As an image filename forms part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters within image filenames. Please see section 2.3 of this document for details.

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

You should have no trouble (either in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro or on your web server) if your image filenames use only these web-safe characters.

With this in mind, I would recommend renaming your images and their corresponding imageURL entries in your gallery XML files.
You can batch rename multiple images very quickly with a third-party tool such as Bulk Rename Utility.
You can also quickly and easily rename all imageURL entries in an XML file (or in multiple XML files) at once with a single global search and replace action in a text editor which accepts multiple files and supports regular expressions such as Notepad++.

I realise that this will add a couple of steps to your workflow but, as JuiceboxBuilder does not accept filenames with apostrophes, renaming your images (and their corresponding imageURL entries) is the only way for JuiceboxBuilder to convert your SimpleViewer galleries (and with the right tools, renaming the files and imageURL entries should not take too long).

Thanks Steven ! I already tried to rename the files and to modify the gallery.xml file before posting on the forum, but something certainly went wrong, because, surprisingly, it did'nt work.
I started again this morning  very carefully and it (logically) works !
Sorry for not reading the user guide ...
Regards
Mike

I'm glad you've got it working.
Thank you for posting back to let me know.

Hi Steven, half a dozen gallerie converted up to now. It works perfectly.
I will report bugs later (not so easy for me to write in english ...).
BTW, I have a question : I used the "embedded" template to edit my own layout : no thumbs, just dots below the image, only one button (back button) ; when viewed on my Androïd smartphone, I can see a page with thumbs ; why ?
Regards
Mike

... when viewed on my Androïd smartphone, I can see a page with thumbs ; why ?

When viewed on a mobile device, Juicebox automatically switches to Small Screen Mode by default to display the gallery (where thumbnails and main images are displayed on separate pages to give the main images more room to be displayed).
Please see the Screen Modes support section for more information on how Juicebox adapts to different devices and screen sizes.

If you want to force your gallery to always be displayed in Large Screen Mode on all devices and in all browsers, then set screenMode="LARGE" in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> General' section.

I hope this helps.