Topic: So easy that I'm making it difficult...

OK, first off, this software is just a delight. It works just as advertised, I opened it up and once I got rid of an old install, it worked 100%, and it's totally intuitive. But I can't figure something out... and I feel more than stupid.

I want to open the gallery I just created (and uploaded successfully, ta-dah), and I cannot figure where the Jukebox file is stored. I know where the gallery is stored, but unless I am missing something, there's no files in there that can be opened directly by JB. I thought I'd found when I discovered the JuiceboxBuilder-Lite folder in Documents, but it's empty.

I can no doubt edit the code, but that seems a bit redundant.

Please put me out of my mystery!

Re: So easy that I'm making it difficult...

I want to open the gallery I just created (and uploaded successfully, ta-dah)...

If you have uploaded a complete gallery folder to your web server, then you should be able to view the gallery on a web page of its own by opening open the 'index.html' file (from directly inside the gallery folder) in your browser.
For example, if your gallery folder is named "my_gallery" and you have uploaded the complete gallery folder to the root directory of your web space (in this example, on a domain named "example.com"), then the gallery can be viewed by entering this URL in your browser's address bar: http://example.com/my_gallery/index.html

... there's no files in there that can be opened directly by JB.

You can view a Juicebox gallery by opening the gallery's 'index.html' page in any modern browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari).
Otherwise, you can embed the gallery into an existing web page (following the embedding instructions here) and open that web page in a browser instead.

If you are trying to open an existing gallery in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (for example to edit it), then you need to click 'Open Gallery...' (or 'Gallery -> Open...' from the drop-down menu at the top) and then navigate towards and select the gallery folder itself (not a file within the gallery folder) before clicking 'Select Folder'. The gallery folder is the folder which contains the gallery's XML file and the gallery's XML file must be named 'config.xml'. (If you have renamed or moved this file, then the gallery will not be able to be opened by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.)

I hope this helps to clarify things.
Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The gallery is working fine, the only thing I wanted to do was edit the JB gallery file.

The instructions in your last paragraph didn't work for me initially:

...then navigate towards and select the gallery folder itself (not a file within the gallery folder) before clicking 'Select Folder'.

From that instruction I was expecting a button in the dialogue that says "Select Folder" but in fact all I had to do was double click the folder. It. might be clearer if you said:

...then navigate toward, and double-click the gallery folder itself (not a file within the gallery folder).

Anyway, thank you, I can now edit the gallery and all is well. The software is brilliant: I will see if my client wants me to get the full version!

From that instruction I was expecting a button in the dialogue that says "Select Folder"...

There is a button labelled 'Select Folder' within the 'Select Gallery Folder...' pop-up dialog window (see screenshot attached).

Double-clicking the gallery folder within the 'Select Gallery Folder...' pop-up dialog window does not work on my Windows 10 PC. It just takes me inside the gallery folder (which does not help in the process of trying to open a gallery in JuiceboxBuilder).
Selecting the gallery folder (via a single left click) and then clicking the 'Select Folder' button works fine.
Maybe double-clicking the gallery folder works as a shortcut on your system but selecting the gallery folder and clicking 'Select Folder' should work on all systems.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that you've been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you for letting me know.

Post's attachments

Screenshot.PNG
Screenshot.PNG 42.15 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Aha! A Mac vs. Windows issue.

:-)

FYI, here's what the equivalent screenshot looks like on a Mac. No "Select Folder", but the double click did the trick.

Thanks!

It sounds like JuiceboxBuilder just fires up the system's native file chooser rather than creating a custom one which would look identical on all systems (which I'm not even sure is possible within Adobe AIR).
This would explain the difference you describe.

Unfortunately, it looks like your screenshot was not successfully attached to your last post.
It might be helpful for other users to have a record in the forum of what the 'Select Gallery Folder...' dialog window looks like on a Mac so I'd be very grateful if you could try to attach your image again.
Thank you (and thanks again for sharing the double-click trick on the Mac).

For sure... and thanks again for your interest and help!

Post's attachments

JBL screenshot.jpeg 79.46 kb, 4 downloads since 2018-07-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Many thanks for posting the screenshot. It's most appreciated.

Summary of thread - Instructions to open an existing gallery in JuiceboxBuilder (to edit it):

(1) Click the 'Open Gallery...' button on the 'Start' tab (or select 'Gallery -> Open...' from the drop-down menu at the top of the application).

(2) In the pop-up 'Select Gallery Folder...' dialog window:
Mac - Navigate towards and then double-click the gallery folder.
Windows - Navigate towards and then select (with a single left-click) the gallery folder (not a file within the gallery folder) and click the 'Select Folder' button.

The gallery folder is the folder which contains the gallery's XML file and the gallery's XML file must be named 'config.xml'. (If you have renamed or moved this file, then the gallery will not be able to be opened by JuiceboxBuilder.)