Topic: Can I stop captions, titles, etc, from disappearing?

This is my first day of experimenting to see if Juicebox could be a suitable replacement for my existing Flash-based gallery and I have a couple of questions.

• Is there any way to stop captions, titles, etc, from disappearing when the mouse strays off the browser window?

• I want part of a caption to be in italics, but surrounding the text with <i> and </i> in config.xml doesn't work. Is this supported in the Pro version?

Re: Can I stop captions, titles, etc, from disappearing?

Is there any way to stop captions, titles, etc, from disappearing when the mouse strays off the browser window?

This can be achieved with Juicebox-Pro but, unfortunately, not with Juicebox-Lite, the free version.
With Juicebox-Pro, you can set inactivityTimeout to 0 (to disable the overlay autohide) or showImageOverlay to ALWAYS (to always show the image overlay).
Alternatively, you can change the captionPosition to a non-overlay value (BELOW_IMAGE, BOTTOM or BELOW_THUMBS) where the captions will remain visible when the overlay fades out.
For reference, a complete list of configuration options (with short descriptions for each one) can be found here.

I want part of a caption to be in italics, but surrounding the text with <i> and </i> in config.xml doesn't work. Is this supported in the Pro version?

You can use HTML formatting within captions (as noted in this FAQ) in both Juicebox-Lite and Juicebox-Pro.
For example, this caption:

<caption><![CDATA[<i>This text is in italics.</i> This text is not in italics.]]></caption>

.. will be displayed as:

This text is in italics. This text is not in italics.

If you have edited your gallery's 'config.xml' file but do not see the changes, then try clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page to ensure that your browser is not still using an older, cached version of the XML file.

3 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-02 22:43:57)

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the rapid and comprehensive response.

I now have some more issues.

• On several occasions, after opening JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and selecting an existing gallery folder, I see my image thumbnails on screen but clicking Customize or Publish has no effect. What might I be doing wrong?

• I am getting confused between the folder I have selected for my new Juicebox gallery and the '.../My Documents/JuiceboxBuilder-Lite/.tempGallery/' being used when I run a preview. The temporary folder does not use the correct config.xml file.

• When creating a new Juicebox gallery, I browse to the folder on my PC that contains the required images, but Juicebox then copies the selected and resized images to a new subfolder called 'images'. However, for some applications this is a waste of space, as I will always want to use all the images in the selected folder and they will already have the required pixel dimensions. Is there an option to stop Juicebox from making unnecessary copies?

On several occasions, after opening JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and selecting an existing gallery folder, I see my image thumbnails on screen but clicking Customize or Publish has no effect. What might I be doing wrong?

I'm not sure what might be causing this. As far as I can recall, I've never encountered this problem myself.
Maybe something is invisibly obscuring the buttons, preventing them from being clicked (perhaps due to a specific combination of configuration options).
If possible, please zip one of the galleries which demonstrates this problem, upload it somewhere and provide a link so that I can try to replicate the problem myself and hopefully help further.
Otherwise, please post the configuration options that you gallery uses so that I can at least try to replicate the problem with your gallery's configuration options (if not the gallery itself).
Also, if you have any security software installed, try temporarily disabling it (or make an exception for JuiceboxBuilder-Lite) in case the security software is somehow interfering with the functionality of JuiceboxBuilder-Lite. (It's a long shot but, in the absence of knowing exactly what is causing your problem, I wouldn't rule anything out until trying it first.)

I am getting confused between the folder I have selected for my new Juicebox gallery and the '.../My Documents/JuiceboxBuilder-Lite/.tempGallery/' being used when I run a preview. The temporary folder does not use the correct config.xml file.

There should be no need to look inside the C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Lite\ folder. This is used internally by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (to store the gallery files whilst the gallery is being created or edited) but it is not a location that a user should be copying gallery files from. The .tempGallery folder is used for JuiceboxBuilder-Lite's live preview window only.
I would recommend saving each gallery to its own unique folder (to avoid any confusion as to where each gallery's files are stored). If you leave the galleries in their individual folders, you can upload the complete gallery folders (rather than just the contents) to your web server and embed the galleries using the baseUrl method documented here.

When creating a new Juicebox gallery, I browse to the folder on my PC that contains the required images, but Juicebox then copies the selected and resized images to a new subfolder called 'images'. However, for some applications this is a waste of space, as I will always want to use all the images in the selected folder and they will already have the required pixel dimensions. Is there an option to stop Juicebox from making unnecessary copies?

No. Every gallery folder will contain an 'images' folder where the gallery images are stored. When JuiceboxBuilder-Lite creates a gallery, the resulting gallery folder is always self-contained (and, with the image paths in the 'config.xml' file being relative to the 'index.html' page, the gallery can be moved around without breaking the gallery).
It is not possible to instruct JuiceboxBuilder-Lite to use images in a different location although you could manually change your gallery's folder structure after you have created a gallery by editing your gallery's 'config.xml' file in a plain text editor (to point the imageURL entries towards images in whatever location you like).

5 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-03 16:57:10)

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

There should be no need to look inside the C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Lite\ folder. This is used internally by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (to store the gallery files whilst the gallery is being created or edited) but it is not a location that a user should be copying gallery files from. The .tempGallery folder is used for JuiceboxBuilder-Lite's live preview window only.

The only reason I mentioned the temporary folder is that JuiceboxBuilder-Lite failed to pick up the existing config.xml file from the gallery folder I had selected. Changes had been made to a couple of titles and captions in that existing config.xml file, but they were ignored by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (even after exiting and reopening the program).

Note that I am only wanting to use the preview window at this stage. I don't plan to upload files to my web server until I have things working properly on my PC.

EDIT: I've just realised that JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not automatically use the same location for saving the gallery as that used for selecting the images. It appears to use the same location that was used to save the last gallery. That might explain some of my confusion.

However, I still have issues with config.xml files. The attached config.xml that was manually edited in Wordpad does not let me preview the associated gallery in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite. It doesn't even display the thumbnails after I tell it to open the gallery in the relevant folder (which contains the images, jbcore and thumbs subfolders). Before the edit, I had no problem previewing this gallery.

Post's attachments

config.xml 1.58 kb, 4 downloads since 2018-04-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I've just realised that JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not automatically use the same location for saving the gallery as that used for selecting the images. It appears to use the same location that was used to save the last gallery.

When saving a gallery in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, the gallery will be saved to the location specified in the 'Gallery Folder' input field on the 'Publish' tab. You can check this location (or change it via the 'Browse...' button) before clicking 'Save'.

The attached config.xml that was manually edited in Wordpad does not let me preview the associated gallery in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.

Thank you for providing your gallery's 'config.xml' file.

WordPad is a word processor (a rich text editor) which can add hidden formatting to text files (for example to specify styling such as color, font and size) which could potentially break the syntax of an XML file. I'd recommend editing XML files in a plain text editor specifically designed for code (such as Notepad++).
Having said that, your 'config.xml' file does not have any hidden formatting and does not have any syntax issues.

However, I notice that your image titles and captions are outside your CDATA tags (your CDATA tags are empty and are closed before the custom text begins). I think that this might be what is causing your problem.
For example:

<caption><![CDATA[]]>Joe Bloggs FRPS - <i>PSA Gold Medal</i></caption>

... should be:

<caption><![CDATA[Joe Bloggs FRPS - <i>PSA Gold Medal</i>]]></caption>

There's certainly nothing wrong with editing a gallery's 'config.xml' file manually but it's much safer to modify a gallery in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and allow the program to deal with all the required tags.
Make sure that all your custom text (including all HTML formatting) is included within the opening <![CDATA[ and closing ]]> tags in each of your <title> and <caption> entries. This should hopefully solve your problem.

Incidentally, I also notice that your image filenames have spaces in them.
As an image filename forms part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters within image filenames. Please see section 2.3 of this document for details.

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

I hope my notes above help to solve your problem.
However, if you continue to experience difficulties, then, if possible, please provide the entire gallery so that I can try opening it in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite myself (and I'll let you know what happens).
Just zip the gallery (it contains only 3 images so it should not be too large), upload it somewhere and provide a link.
Once I'm able to see the entire gallery, I should hopefully be able to determine the exact cause of your problem.
Thank you.

7 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-03 22:25:53)

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

... I notice that your image titles and captions are outside your CDATA tags (your CDATA tags are empty and are closed before the custom text begins). I think that this might be what is causing your problem.

Oops. I'd missed that. Perhaps I need new glasses (or a new brain). As it happens, earlier this evening I'd been having some problems in recreating the problem. That is almost certainly because I hadn't repeated my earlier error!   

I'd also had some problems associated with the fact that, in addition to simple manually edited config.xml files, I have been experimenting with config.xml files generated automatically from a database. However, I now realise that those problems were caused by some unexpected truncation of long lines. The devil is very much in the detail here, but I think I'm now on the right track.

Incidentally, I also notice that your image filenames have spaces in them.
As an image filename forms part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters within image filenames.

I don't quite follow what you are saying there. Under what circumstances would any of my image filenames appear in a URL?

Another issue has just come to light, which is your current lack of support for apostrophes in image filenames. The images I am dealing with are submissions to an annual international photographic competition and the filenames are intended to be the image title plus the .jpg file extension. As we try to avoid being illiterate, apostrophes appear wherever they are needed (in addition to the spaces already mentioned). Do you have plans to remove the prohibition of apostrophes?

Under what circumstances would any of my image filenames appear in a URL?

As soon as your images are uploaded to your web server, they will need to be referred to (internally by Juicebox) by paths (either relative or absolute depending on the imageURL and thumbURL entries in your gallery's configuration file).
These paths (which include the image filenames) should contain only web-safe characters. If the image filenames contain reserved characters (please see section 2.2 of this document), then problems might occur (images might not load in your gallery). (This will be server-dependent.)
If everything works OK on your web server, then that is fine but this is really just a heads-up. If images do not load in your gallery, then it may be because of reserved characters in your image filenames.
It should be possible to escape such characters (with percent encoding) but it is much safer to just avoid characters that could cause problems.

Another issue has just come to light, which is your current lack of support for apostrophes in image filenames.

This is noted in the 'Known Issues' section of the JuiceboxBuilder User Guide.

JuiceboxBuilder will not accept images with the following characters in the filename: #, ? and '. Please rename files before importing to JuiceboxBuilder.

The apostrophe (single quote) is a reserved character and, as far as I am aware, there are no immediate plans to allow JuiceboxBuilder to accept this character.
As I have mentioned above, I would recommend using only web-safe characters (uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde) for image filenames. (However, you can use whatever characters you like for your image titles and captions.)
JuiceboxBuilder (and all web servers) will have no problems with images whose filenames contain only web-safe characters.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

9 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-04 10:12:53)

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

The apostrophe (single quote) is a reserved character and, as far as I am aware, there are no immediate plans to allow JuiceboxBuilder to accept this character.

I have never previously seen any reference to the apostrophe being a reserved character. The Wikipedia article on Filename contains a lot of detailed information about reserved characters, but I can't find any reference to the apostrophe (I did a search for the ' character).

Reserved characters are a context sensitive concept. In which environment (apart from Juicebox) is the apostrophe forbidden? It's certainly not reserved by Windows or the web server software used by my ISP or the Linux-based NAS box where I back up my image files.

While I appreciate the warnings, I doubt if my failure to follow strict 'web safe' guidelines is a significant issue for me. I've done a few searches on the subject, but it's not a simple matter. Most of the objections to specific characters appear to relate to rather obscure technical scenarios that are not relevant in my case, or are out of date throwbacks to the days when several operating systems had more stringent character restrictions. My primary website has been using commas, apostrophes, hyphens and spaces (and even the occasional extra period) in image filenames for over 10 years without any known problems. Users upload these images, but can only view their own images. I am the only person allowed to download any images. Perhaps I am living in a fool's paradise, but in the absence of problems I tend to assume that all is well.

The only issue I've ever had was with hash characters (#) in filenames. Windows allows this, but my web server software doesn't like it, so I now stop my users from uploading images with a hash in the filename.

NOTE: Original text has been edited to improve clarity

In which environment (apart from Juicebox) is the apostrophe forbidden?

The ' character is noted as being a reserved character in a URI in section 2.2 of this document (in the sub-delims list).
This is unlikely to be the reason that JuiceboxBuilder does not accept images with ' characters in their filenames but if you were to use only unreserved characters in your image filenames, then there would be no problems in JuiceboxBuilder or on a web server.

I only mentioned the image filenames originally because I've seen problems with spaces in image filenames on web servers before. However, if everything is working well for you, then that is ultimately all that matters.

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

The ' character is noted as being a reserved character in a URI in section 2.2 of this document (in the sub-delims list).
This is unlikely to be the reason that JuiceboxBuilder does not accept images with ' characters in their filenames ...

I also think that JuiceboxBuilder's issue with apostrophes is unlikely to be due to that rather obscure reference. To me it looks far more like a bug! Over the past 10 years, I have never found an operating system or software application with such an unexpected limitation.

If there is no meaningful reason for this limitation then surely it ought to be removed when time allows? I certainly hope this happens, as eliminating apostrophes from current and future image filenames would create a lot of extra work for me if I choose to replace my current Flash gallery with Juicebox Pro.

On the positive side, I have yet to find any other issues with Juicebox and I appreciate the fact that it comes with a very responsive user forum  :)

I do not know the nature of the problem whereby JuiceboxBuilder does not accept images with the ' character in their filenames. (I have no access to the JuiceboxBuilder source code). I suspect that including a ' in an image filename may close off an opening ' within the application's code and should be escaped (but this is just speculation as I really do not know).

In any case, including a ' in an image filename does not actually cause any functional problems (a warning message appears asking the user to rename the image) and it is discouraged (as it is not a web-safe character).

However, it is, admittedly, an inconvenience for those wishing to use the ' character in image filenames and, as such, a bug report has been logged (but I do not know if or when it will be addressed by the developers).

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

... In any case, including a ' in an image filename does not actually cause any functional problems (a warning message appears asking the user to rename the image) and it is discouraged (as it is not a web-safe character).

However, it is, admittedly, an inconvenience for those wishing to use the ' character in image filenames and, as such, a bug report has been logged (but I do not know if or when it will be addressed by the developers).

You appear to be suggesting that I could just ignore that warning message, but a quick test has shown that JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not not simply "discourage" the use of any image with an apostrophe in the filename. It actually refuses to import them into a gallery. Is there a way to bypass this refusal?

Many thanks for raising a bug report.

It actually refuses to import them into a gallery.

Yes, it is true that JuiceboxBuilder does not accept images with the ' character in their filenames.

Is there a way to bypass this refusal?

There is no way to bypass this. If you want to include images which have been rejected for including the ' character in their filenames, then they will need to be renamed, as noted in the warning message.

When I said that there are no functional problems, I meant that trying to add an image with a ' character in its filename does not cause JuiceboxBuilder to crash or freeze.

Many thanks for raising a bug report.

You're welcome.

However, when I say that the use of the ' character is discouraged, it would be best practice to use only web-safe characters (uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde) for image filenames and I do not know if the developers are likely to address the issue (to allow users to include a non-web-safe character in image filenames). They might... I just do not know.

With this in mind (JuiceboxBuilder not accepting images with the ' character in their filenames and no immediate resolution on the horizon), you might like to look into other methods of creating a Juicebox gallery.
There are plugins available for other programs (such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop and jAlbum) and you can also create a gallery manually.

Just a quick disclaimer, though... I do not know if you will encounter any issues with any of the plugins regarding the ' character in image filenames.
All I can say is that you should not encounter any problems with any method of creating a gallery if you use only the web-safe characters listed above.

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

... you might like to look into other methods of creating a Juicebox gallery.
There are plugins available for other programs (such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop and jAlbum) and you can also create a gallery manually.

Just a quick disclaimer, though... I do not know if you will encounter any issues with any of the plugins regarding the ' character in image filenames.

I've already tried modifying an existing Juicebox gallery by manually adding an apostrophe to a couple of the filenames (in both images and thumbs folders) and making matching changes to the config.xml file, but the modified images appear as blanks in the gallery preview. That suggests to me that no plugin would be able to bypass the 'no apostrophes' rule.

16 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-06 22:47:35)

Some more issues and observations:

• JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not display thumbnails for images which contain a comma in the filename, though the gallery preview appears to work fine

• One of my images had the wrong orientation after processing by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite. What factor does it use to determine the correct orientation? The original image is shown the correct way round in both Windows File Explorer and Photoshop.

• JuiceboxBuilder-Lite has never offered me any guidance when it failed to open a gallery whose config.xml file contained a problem caused by an error in manual editing. It just sits on the Images page displaying no images. Some attempt at pinpointing the source of the problem would be useful. Even a simple error message to say that the config.xml file was faulty would be better than nothing at all.

• I have now taken the plunge and upgraded to Juicebox Pro, but I am having problems in persuading it to show more than one gallery on the same html page. Despite doing my best to follow the instructions on the Juicebox website, and using a different containerId for each div, it only shows the first gallery listed on the html page. To plug the gap, I've written my own html code to create a gallery menu. Is that what you are expected to do?

• Is there any way to make image titles and captions wider than the image? All my captions for portrait mode images are being wrapped over two lines when there is plenty of horizontal space to fit them on a single row. In some cases, both the title and caption are wrapped, which just looks silly.

I've already tried modifying an existing Juicebox gallery by manually adding an apostrophe to a couple of the filenames (in both images and thumbs folders) and making matching changes to the config.xml file, but the modified images appear as blanks in the gallery preview. That suggests to me that no plugin would be able to bypass the 'no apostrophes' rule.

If you encode the ' character as %27 in the imageURL, thumbURL and linkURL entries in the gallery's 'config.xml' file, the images should hopefully display OK.
For example, for an image with the filename gallery'image.jpg, use:

imageURL="images/gallery%27image.jpg"
thumbURL="thumbs/gallery%27image.jpg"
linkURL="images/gallery%27image.jpg"

JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not display thumbnails for images which contain a comma in the filename, though the gallery preview appears to work fine

I have notified the developers of this but, as I have mentioned previously, if you use only web-safe characters for image filenames, then you will have no problems in either JuiceboxBuilder or on a web server.

One of my images had the wrong orientation after processing by JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.

JuiceboxBuilder does not read the image's EXIF orientation flag and dynamically rotate the image. It just displays the image as is. If necessary, you can rotate the image within JuiceboxBuilder via the rotate button near the lower right corner of the 'Images' tab (after clicking the relevant thumbnail to reveal the input fields at the bottom of the window). If this does not help, then one possible workaround would be to re-save the image in an imaging program (such as Adobe Photoshop) stripping out the EXIF data and, then, if necessary, rotate the image so that it is visually oriented correctly (inverting the actual aspect ratio rather than introducing a new EXIF orientation flag) before feeding it to JuiceboxBuilder. I realise that this will add a few steps to an existing workflow but it should help.

JuiceboxBuilder-Lite has never offered me any guidance when it failed to open a gallery whose config.xml file contained a problem caused by an error in manual editing.

If you like, you can post suggestions for future versions in the Feature Requests forum thread.
This keeps all the ideas together and ensures that they are not overlooked by the developers. Thank you.

If you have trouble figuring out where the problem is in a manually edited 'config.xml' file, then try opening the file directly in a web browser. The browser will usually tell you what and where the problem is in the file.

I have now taken the plunge and upgraded to Juicebox Pro, but I am having problems in persuading it to show more than one gallery on the same html page.

Please take a look at the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section (specifically the View Multiple Galleries on One HTML Page Example).

When embedding multiple galleries on a single web page, you'll need to use either a configUrl (to point to different configuration files) or a baseUrl (to point towards different gallery folders) in each gallery's embedding code. (Short descriptions of these embedding options can be found here.)

The online example embeds multiple galleries using the baseUrl method of embedding (documented here).
Essentially, you would keep each gallery in its own unique folder, upload the complete gallery folders (not just the contents) to your web server, and use a baseUrl in each gallery's embedding code to point towards the gallery folder. (The instructions here give an example.)

If you continue to experience difficulties embedding multiple galleries on a single web page, then please post back with the URL to your web page so that I can take a look at the problem for myself and help further. Thank you.

Do I have to write my own html code to create a gallery menu?

Yes. With Juicebox-Pro, you can create as many individual galleries as you like. However, if you would like to link them all together (with a navigation menu), then you would need to do so manually following the examples in the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section.

If you are looking for an automated solution to creating and listing multiple galleries, then you might be interested in another one of our products, namely Showkase.

Showkase is a PHP web application (installed on your web server instead of your computer) which allows you to create a complete portfolio web site (integrating multiple galleries) online.
Showkase has full support for Juicebox-Pro and the galleries can be created within the application itself in a web browser interface (or created with JuiceboxBuilder or the Juicebox plugin for Lightroom and imported).

You can create Gallery Index pages and have as many galleries listed on each Gallery Index page as you wish.
Each gallery is represented by a thumbnail image with the gallery title displayed below and the gallery is opened when the user clicks on the image.
Demo sites created with Showkase can be found here and a sample Gallery Index page can be found here.

Showkase can also create non-gallery pages (About, Basic and Contact pages) where you can add information about yourself (or any other content you like).
All of this is done automatically within the Showkase interface without the need for any manual coding at all.

Showkase can be purchased as Showkase-Standard (which comes with Juicebox-Lite, the free version) or Showkase-Pro (which comes with Juicebox-Pro).
The only difference between Showkase-Standard and Showkase-Pro is the bundled viewer (Juicebox-Lite vs Juicebox-Pro).

As you already have Juicebox-Pro, you could purchase Showkase-Standard (if you wanted to) and integrate your Juicebox-Pro files by following the Installing a Pro Viewer instructions.

More information on the differences between Juicebox and Showkase can be found in this forum post.

Is there any way to make captions wider than the image?

If you set captionPosition to OVERLAY or BOTTOM (or possibly even BELOW_THUMBS, depending on where your thumbnails are positioned), then the caption area will span the entire gallery rather than just the image.
captionPosition can be found in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Caption' section.

You can also give the captions a little more horizontal room by removing the image number from the caption area (by setting showImageNumber="FALSE") as space is normally reserved at the right hand side of the caption area for the image number (e.g. "2/50").

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

If you encode the ' character as %27 in the imageURL, thumbURL and linkURL entries in the gallery's 'config.xml' file, the images should hopefully display OK.

I will have a look at trying to automate that solution in the database report that generates my config.xml files, but if that's tricky to achieve then it will be easier to manually delete the apostrophes from Juicebox's copies of the images and from the filenames in config.xml.

... as I have mentioned previously, if you use only web-safe characters for image filenames, then you will have no problems in either JuiceboxBuilder or on a web server.

Using only 'web-safe' characters in my image filenames would require a major redesign of a large and complex website. Given that I have never had any web server issues caused by apostrophes, it is not viable for me to make such an effort simply to keep Juicebox happy. It is easier for me to delete the apostrophes.

JuiceboxBuilder does not ... dynamically rotate the image. It just displays the image as is.

I can't see how that statement can be true when JuiceboxBuilder has clearly changed the normal rotation of one of my images. It's easy enough to fix, but it would be nice to know what is causing this behaviour.

If you have trouble figuring out where the problem is in a manually edited 'config.xml' file, then try opening the file directly in a web browser. The browser will usually tell you what and where the problem is in the file.

Thanks for that useful suggestion.

Please take a look at the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section (specifically the View Multiple Galleries on One HTML Page Example) ... With Juicebox-Pro, you can create as many individual galleries as you like. However, if you would like to link them all together (with a navigation menu), then you would need to do so manually following the examples in the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section.

I had already checked all those sources of guidance, but it wasn't made clear that you had to write your own html code. There was a reference to the use of Javascript, but I couldn't see any sample code.

I'm using baseURLs and created my own html code for navigating to multiple galleries, though they are links to individual index.html pages, so not really a case of 'Multiple Galleries on One HTML Page'. Have you any sample code for keeping everything on a single page or is that only available via Showkase? Apologies in advance if I've missed something on one of your links!

If you set captionPosition to OVERLAY or BOTTOM (or possibly even BELOW_THUMBS, depending on where your thumbnails are positioned), then the caption area will span the entire gallery rather than just the image.
captionPosition can be found in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Caption' section.

You can also give the captions a little more horizontal room by removing the image number from the caption area (by setting showImageNumber="FALSE") as space is normally reserved at the right hand side of the caption area for the image number (e.g. "2/50").

I like having the image numbers and removing them still doesn't resolve most of my wrapping problems. Your suggestion to set captions to OVERLAY, in conjunction with horizontal centring, provides the best available solution for me. However, I still don't like it very much, as it places the text just above the thumbnails on larger screens, when I really want it just under the main image. I can understand why the caption position of OVERLAY_IMAGE should be constrained to the width of the image, but fail to see why this also applies to BELOW_IMAGE.

Using only 'web-safe' characters in my image filenames would require a major redesign of a large and complex website. Given that I have never had any web server issues caused by apostrophes, it is not viable for me to make such an effort simply to keep Juicebox happy. It is easier for me to delete the apostrophes.

Here's a Wikipedia article documenting reserved and unreserved characters in URIs and the need to percent-encode reserved characters (which include the apostrophe and comma).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-e … characters

I can't see how that statement can be true when JuiceboxBuilder has clearly changed the normal rotation of one of my images. It's easy enough to fix, but it would be nice to know what is causing this behaviour.

I guess it's possible that you've not actually seen the image in its native orientation. Maybe all the programs you've used to view the image up until now have read the image's EXIF orientation flag and have dynamically rotated it. I can't say for sure but it's certainly possible and might explain what is happening.

I'm using baseURLs and created my own html code for navigating to multiple galleries, though they are links to individual index.html pages, so not really a case of 'Multiple Galleries on One HTML Page'. Have you any sample code for keeping everything on a single page or is that only available via Showkase?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "they are links to individual index.html pages" and that you are looking for "sample code for keeping everything on a single page". Are you looking to:
(1) Link to individual gallery pages (like this)
(2) Embed multiple galleries on the same page (like this)
(3) Switch between multiple galleries on a single web page (like this)

Whatever you are looking to achieve, the best course of action would be to view the source of the online examples (from the Embedding Multiple Galleries support section) in a web browser and copy/modify the code to suit your own needs. Knowledge of CSS, HTML and JavaScript would be required and the only automated solution (without the need for any manual coding) would be to use Showkase.

I can understand why the caption position of OVERLAY_IMAGE should be constrained to the width of the image, but fail to see why this also applies to BELOW_IMAGE.

It's really just a design choice that the developers have made. There are 5 different captionPosition values (other than NONE) that can be used. You might not be able to position the captions exactly where you'd like them to be but hopefully you can reach a compromise with the available values.

The only other suggestion I can make is to perhaps reduce the font size of your caption text slightly to minimize the amount of wrapping required. If you'd like to try this, then please see this forum post for details.

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

I guess it's possible that you've not actually seen the image in its native orientation. Maybe all the programs you've used to view the image up until now have read the image's EXIF orientation flag and have dynamically rotated it. I can't say for sure but it's certainly possible and might explain what is happening.

What exactly do you mean by 'native orientation'? Where is this specified? I've just opened the original version of the affected image in Photoshop and had a look at the Exif data. There is no orientation tag present, but it does have values for PixelXDimension and PixelYDimension that imply a specific orientation (which is correct).

The only other suggestion I can make is to perhaps reduce the font size of your caption text slightly to minimize the amount of wrapping required. If you'd like to try this, then please see this forum post for details.

I had wondered if there was a way to modify the default text size, so thanks for that useful link.

I'll get back to you later on the multiple gallery topic when I've had more time to experiment. I uploaded my current version of multiple galleries yesterday and saw it working for the first time on Android and iOS tablets and phones (impossible with my previous Flash-based gallery). Juicebox Pro is certainly well on the way to being my new image gallery solution! Thanks again for all your help :)

What exactly do you mean by 'native orientation'?

I'm just referring to the way that the image would be displayed if it was not dynamically re-orientated by the program being used to display it (i.e. the way the image would be displayed if it had no EXIF orientation flag and the program being used to display it has no information on how it should be oriented). If you re-save an image in an imaging program such as Adobe Photoshop, stripping out all EXIF information during the process, and then view the image (in any program afterwards), then you'll see the image as JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does.
EXIF orientation can be a bit of a minefield at the best of times and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro chooses not to read or use the EXIF orientation flag (but offers users the opportunity to rotate images if necessary). Take a look at this article. It's a little old now but it provides some interesting information on how complex applying an EXIF orientation flag can be and how there can be very little consistency between different platforms and programs with regard to this matter.

I'll get back to you later on the multiple gallery topic when I've had more time to experiment.

No problem.

Thanks again for all your help :)

You're welcome!

22 (edited by haggis999 2018-04-09 18:29:06)

Stripping out the EXIF properties from that image does indeed make it appear in the wrong orientation. As you suggested earlier, all the software I had previously used to view it must have used that EXIF data to orient it correctly (though this must been done using PixelXDimension and PixelYDimension, as there was no orientation tag present). Thanks for clarifying this topic. That issue is now fully understood and no longer poses any problem for me.

================================================================
My original problem with the various multiple gallery options was that I had failed to see the advice to read the page source, as this is only mentioned on a limited number of the demo pages. On the other hand, as I'm not a newcomer to web design, I ought to have worked that out for myself!

I can't see any option for scaling the thumbnails. Have I missed something? When I shrink the window for my Juicebox Gallery the main image reduces in size but the thumbs remain unchanged. You can even reach the point where the thumb is actually bigger than the main image (though obviously this would prompt the user to turn off the thumbnail display).

Unfortunately, taking the option to centre the title and caption doesn't quite work correctly if you also opt for image numbering. The title and caption are pushed a little to the left and not centred on the image position. In this situation, the image number is on the far right of the screen in OVERLAY mode (or the right edge of the image if you are using OVERLAY_IMAGE) and should have no effect on the title and caption positioning. To my eyes, that clearly looks like a coding error.

I experimented with trying to correct the horizontal alignment of my titles and captions by prefixing them with a string of &nbsp; entries, but rather oddly these were converted by Juicebox into visible colon characters!

I noted that Juiceboxbuilder generated html code in the index.html files to present a gallery in the absence of Javascript support. However, when I tested this by disabling Javascript in Firefox, the layout was a real mess. Is that all that I can expect without Javascript or have I screwed something up?

You can view my current gallery here:

http://www.southamptoninternationalexhi … llery.html

I can't see any option for scaling the thumbnails.

The thumbnails in a Juicebox gallery do not scale. They are always displayed at the thumbWidth and thumbHeight dimensions.

Unfortunately, taking the option to centre the title and caption doesn't quite work correctly if you also opt for image numbering.

If displaying the image number, then space is reserved for it at the right hand side of the caption area.
The caption text is then centered (if captionHAlign="CENTER") in the remaining area.
I think this is probably a design choice rather than a coding error but, if you like, you can post feedback and suggestions in the Feature Requests forum thread where they will be seen by the developers.

I experimented with trying to correct the horizontal alignment of my titles and captions by prefixing them with a string of &nbsp; entries, but rather oddly these were converted by Juicebox into visible colon characters!

I've just tried entering a string of &nbsp; entries at the beginning of an image title and and an image caption in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and it seems to work as expected for me (displaying spaces before the text).
Please provide a link to a gallery which demonstrates this problem so that I can investigate further. Thank you.

I noted that Juiceboxbuilder generated html code in the index.html files to present a gallery in the absence of Javascript support.

The code you are referring to is the SEO Content Code, intended to help with Search Engine Optimization. It also allows gallery images to be seen in browsers which do not have JavaScript enabled (but this is not the code's primary purpose).
Please see here for details.
You can prevent the code from being generated, if you like, by deselecting the 'Add SEO Content' checkbox in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Sharing' section.

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

If displaying the image number, then space is reserved for it at the right hand side of the caption area.
The caption text is then centered (if captionHAlign="CENTER") in the remaining area.
I think this is probably a design choice rather than a coding error but, if you like, you can post feedback and suggestions in the Feature Requests forum thread where they will be seen by the developers.

I hve done as you suggested and made a post on that other forum thread.

I've just tried entering a string of &nbsp; entries at the beginning of an image title and and an image caption in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and it seems to work as expected for me (displaying spaces before the text).
Please provide a link to a gallery which demonstrates this problem so that I can investigate further. Thank you.

Sorry, it looks like I might have made a typing error the first time I tried this. I've just tested this again and it all works fine. However, I'm not sure that I have the patience to correct the alignment of all my titles and captions with loads of &nbsp; entries! 

The code you are referring to is the SEO Content Code, intended to help with Search Engine Optimization. It also allows gallery images to be seen in browsers which do not have JavaScript enabled (but this is not the code's primary purpose).

I hadn't realised this code was primarily there for SEO purposes. With any luck, most users will view my galleries with Javascript enabled...