Topic: Juicebox has stopped working [SOLVED]

I'm using Windows7 Pro, Adobe Air 28.0.0.127 and Juicebox Lite 1.5.1

I have been using Juicebox Lite for a short while, evaluating it with a mind to upgrading to Pro, but today I have had a big problem!  I wanted to create a new gallery so clicked on New Gallery and tried to upload six images.  Only four would load.  Then trying to upload the other two individually I was greeted with the message that Juicebox couldn't resize them - despite the images being only 1640 x 1127 and 1613 x 1129.

Having tried unsuccessfully a couple of times I then rebooted the computer - no improvement.  In fact I could not then open a new gallery, nor an existing one.  Clicking on 'New Gallery' nothing happened.  Clicking on 'Open Gallery' showed me the gallery listing but after selecting one and clicking on 'Select Folder' nothing happened, the gallery did not open.

Next I uninstalled Juicebox and Adobe Air (using Revo Uninstaller to delete all associated files, five Roaming/Adobe/Air/ELS/Juicebox files and three Roaming/JuiceboxBuilder- Lite files) and deleted the JuiceboxBuilder-Lite file from AppData and then removed the deleted files from the Recycle Bin.

I then reinstalled AdobeAir and ran JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.air.  Still no improvement - no 'New Gallery' nor will 'Open Gallery' open one.

Help!

As you can see, I have searched the files here but haven't found the answer - one posting suggested it might involve Google Drive but I do not have that.

Re: Juicebox has stopped working [SOLVED]

Take a look to see if you have a folder named '.tempGallery' (inside a folder named 'JuiceboxBuilder-Lite') in your 'Documents' folder.

C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Lite\.tempGallery

If you find such a folder, try deleting it manually (whilst JuiceboxBuilder-Lite is closed).
This should hopefully fix the problem with the 'New Gallery...' and 'Open Gallery' buttons.

Normally, JuiceboxBuilder-Lite will delete the '.tempGallery' folder itself when the program closes but, if the program has crashed, then the '.tempGallery' folder may remain and prevent the 'New Gallery...' and 'Open Gallery' buttons from working.

With regard to the image sizing issue, there is unfortunately a known issue whereby JuiceboxBuilder-Lite will display an error message ("Error resizing image: ‘xyz.jpg’. Possibly the image was too large or invalid. Images must be smaller than 4095 x 4095 pixels.") if the resize dimensions are too large (even if the source images are well within the maximum image bounds).
The problem seems to happen when the Max Width and Max Height are somewhere within the range of between 2364px and 2504px.
The developers are aware of this issue and will hopefully be able to resolve the problem for a future version.
In the meantime, we can only work around this issue by doing one of the following:
(1) Ensure that the resize image bounds are lower than 2364px (or the threshold for your own scenario which is likely to be close to this value).
(2) Resize your images in an imaging program (such as Adobe Photoshop) prior to feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox (on the 'Images' tab) to instruct JuiceboxBuilder-Lite to simply copy the images across to the gallery's 'images' folder (and not process them further).
(3) Create your gallery using a different method. Please see here for a list of plugins available for different programs.

I realise that this may be inconvenient but at least knowing about the problem, we can work around it until it is fixed.

I hope these notes at least help to explain things (even though I am unable to offer a direct solution to the image sizing issue).

Many thanks for your reply.  Clearing .tempGallery worked, though it was still there the next time I closed the program, so it seems I'll have to clear it every time I use Juicebox.  This was the first time I'd used v1.5.1 - might it be a bug that's crept in since v1.5.0?

Interestingly enough trying to load the same six images the program only complained about one of them this time, even though I hadn't at that time resized anything (and I do not have Juicebox set to resize either).  I then resized the offending image to 722 x 1024 but it still wouldn't load, nor would it at 640 x 908 - each time generating the same 'Resize error' message.

I'll take a look at the plugins later.

Further.....

I thought I'd see what would happen if I tried substituting a previously successfully used image for the one that fails to load - and it wouldn't load!  One that is showing quite correctly in a different gallery can't be added to this new gallery.  Then I wondered if perhaps the captions of those that wouldn't load were too long and shortened them, but still they do not load. :-(

Clearing .tempGallery worked,

That's good.

... though it was still there the next time I closed the program, so it seems I'll have to clear it every time I use Juicebox.

That's strange. I'm not sure what might be preventing JuiceboxBuilder-Lite from being able to remove the '.tempGallery' folder (other than maybe restrictive permissions on the parent folders or the '.tempGallery' folder itself).
If you have any security software installed, try temporarily disabling it in case it is somehow interfering with JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (or your 'Documents' folder). It's a long shot but worth a try.

This was the first time I'd used v1.5.1 - might it be a bug that's crept in since v1.5.0?

As far as I am aware, there have been no changes to the code that handles this since JuiceboxBuilder-Lite was first released (and I'm almost certain that there have been no changes between v1.5.0 and v1.5.1 in this regard).

Interestingly enough trying to load the same six images the program only complained about one of them this time...

I thought I'd see what would happen if I tried substituting a previously successfully used image for the one that fails to load - and it wouldn't load!

I really cannot explain why images that have been added to one gallery cannot be added to another. There does not seem to be a logical reason for this.
If you like, you could upload the two images that do not load somewhere (maybe your web server or a file sharing service such as Dropbox) and provide links so that I can try using the images myself to see what happens.

Hello Steven,

Oh dear, the more I do the worse it gets!  I have discovered that if I have Resize Images checked that I can load all five of the six images into the new gallery. 

When I click on Customize I see one main image with six thumbnails (five plus one blank).  I then click on Publish, with View in Browser checked, and click on Save.  Nothing changes, no browser window open and when I check what is in the gallery file I can see config.xml and the images folder with just two images in it but no jbcore folder, nor thumbs folder.

If I try to open the gallery I am greeted with the message that the image file cannot be found four times, then the two which are found have blank thumbnails.  Clicking on Customize shows the two main images but no thumbnails. :-(

However, when I publish only two of the five images are saved into the images folder and there is no jbcore nor thumbs folder.

This really doesn't make sense to me so I abandoned this new gallery, loaded up an existing one and added a few images to it.  It all worked 100% correctly!  I can only presume that there is a problem with one or two of the images that I was trying to use yesterday.

I then went back to the first six images and loaded four (all landscape, ignoring the portrait ones).  Three loaded with the message about sizing for the fourth.  With just these three images everything worked correctly.  However, when I went to Open Gallery to try and add a different fourth image the gallery would not open.  I tried another gallery, which did open correctly, so can only assume there must be something very wrong with the images that do not load.

I went back to scratch and started over again, loading one image at a time, and was able to load four normally, then a fifth with Resize Images checked but no matter what I tried I could not load the sixth, not as .jpg, .png nor .gif.

Hello Steven,

You'll be getting fed up with me by now! ;-)

First of all the .tempGallery problem seems to have gone away.

However, I've been battling with uploading now.
I create a gallery with three images which displays correctly in Juicebox and online
I create a gallery with four images simply by adding one which displays correctly in Juicebox and online.
See: http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/Photo … index.html
Then I add another image to make five which displays correctly in Juicebox but only shows the first three when uploaded.
See: http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/Photo … index.html

I hadn't made any changes to the four images displayed previously, but as well as the fifth not showing online the fourth has disappeared.

Problem solved!!!!

Hello Steven,

Sorry to have taken up your time with what was really a very silly matter.  The problem was to do with the file names which, I have suddenly realised, had a couple of 'illegal' characters.  Though I do now have a problem with a thumb showing as a plain black square, but I'm sure I can sort that.

It certainly sounds like there might be a problem with certain images and, when JuiceboxBuilder-Lite chokes on them, the publishing process grinds to a halt, resulting in an incomplete gallery folder.
If you could upload the images that you are having trouble with (so that I can download them and use them in a test gallery), I'll certainly take a look to see if I can replicate the issue (and maybe find the root of the problem).

... no matter what I tried I could not load the sixth, not as .jpg, .png nor .gif.

It seems very strange that you have re-saved the image in different formats and JuiceboxBuilder-Lite rejects them all.
Normally, if an image is corrupt, the best thing to do is find an imaging program that can open it and then just re-save it (without making any changes to it). The process of re-saving the image can sometimes fix any problems with it.

First of all the .tempGallery problem seems to have gone away.

That's good to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

I notice that your image filenames are very long. The 4th image in your 1st gallery, for example, has 194 characters in it (not counting the file extension).
When working with these files on your computer, you might be reaching the Windows maximum path length (MAX_PATH) of 260 characters. Please see this Microsoft web page for details.
If your image is in your 'Pictures' folder (for example), then this could add approximately 20 characters to the path length (depending on your user account name) but if your images are stored in a deeper file structure, then you could quite easily be pushing the 260 character limit and this might be causing problems.
I would recommend that you reduce the number of characters in your image filenames to see if this helps with your problems.
Incidentally, as noted in the web page I quoted above:

Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.

I hadn't made any changes to the four images displayed previously, but as well as the fifth not showing online the fourth has disappeared.

The 4th image has not really disappeared. Your 'Test-5' gallery seems to be an incomplete copy of your 'Test-4' gallery. Your 'Test-5' gallery uses its own set of images (its own 'images' folder) completely independent of the images being used for your 'Test-4' gallery.)

In your 'Test-5' gallery, the 4th image does not appear to be present in your gallery's 'images' folder.
According to your gallery's 'config.xml' file, the 4th image should be located here:

http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/PhotoArchive/Test-5/images/Peter Lane - 4498 on a photo run-through at Appleby on 25th September 1993. Cumbrian Mountain Express with headboard The New Inn Farewell. Photograph taken from far north end of station platform.jpg

... but going directly to that location in a web browser (taking Juicebox-Lite out of the equation) results in an error 404 (file not found).
Please double-check that the image is present in the correct folder on your web server.

The 5th image in your 'Test-5' gallery gives a different error when trying to view it directly in a web browser.

Multiple Choices
The document name you requested (/PhotoArchive/Test-5/images/Peter Lane - 4498 at Newcastle on 6th June 1985 awaiting departure Carlisle. Thames – Eden Express.jpg) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested.

Available documents:
/PhotoArchive/Test-5/images/Peter Lane - 4498 at Newcastle on 6th June 1985 awaiting departure Carlisle. Thames – Eden Express.jpg (common basename)

This seems to be due to the use of the '–' character in the image filename. This is not just a regular hyphen '-' but a special character that seems to be encoded as '–' on your web server.

As an image filename forms part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters within image filenames. Please see section 2.3 of this document for details.

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

I would recommend using only the characters noted in the quote above for your image filenames (and not other characters such as spaces, '&' and '–'). (JuiceboxBuilder-Lite can handle all images whose filenames use any or all of these unreserved characters.)

Using shorter, web-safe image filenames might help to solve your problems (both on your computer and on your web server).
I hope this helps.

Edit:
I was typing my reply whilst you posted your last response.
I'm glad that you've been able to figure out the cause of your problem. Thank you for letting me know.
Hopefully my notes above will give a little more information on the nature of the problem.

Please let me know if you're unable to resolve your issue with the blank thumbnail (let me know which gallery you are referring to) and I'll take a look to see if I can help further.

Hello Steven,

I know the image names are a bit long for comfort but the images are accessed by others who want to have the full details, attached, which is a bit of a pain.

When copying and pasting captions I always try to change any hyphens (which were possibly created using Word or some other nasty program) with a simple hyphen in my HTML editor, which will usually complain if there is an illegal character.  But, it seems I did not do the same when copying into this program! :-(

The blank thumbnail was quickly resolved - I simply rebooted the program and that was that.  Also the problem with the  '.tempGallery' hasn't recurred for a couple of days so I think I can say that that is now history.

Thank you for your patient responses - I think I can now safely say everything is running as it should once morel.

I know the image names are a bit long for comfort but the images are accessed by others who want to have the full details, attached, which is a bit of a pain.

You could always embed the information within your images as IPTC data (using a program such as Lightroom or Photoshop) so that, no matter what the images are named, the information always travels with the images wherever they go (and can be read by most imaging programs).

JuiceboxBuilder-Lite can also extract IPTC data from images for use as the image titles (IPTC Document Title) and image captions (IPTC Description) via the 'Images -> Titles -> Use IPTC Title' and 'Images -> Captions -> Use IPTC Captions' options from the drop-down menu at the top.

However, please be aware that when JuiceboxBuilder-Lite resizes images, all metadata is removed for the resulting gallery images so, if you have IPTC data within your images and want this data to remain in the gallery images, then resize your images in an imaging program first, prior to feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Lite, and deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox on the 'Images' tab (so that JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does not process the images further).

Thank you for your patient responses - I think I can now safely say everything is running as it should once morel.

You're welcome.
I'll mark this thread as 'solved' but if you have any further trouble, just post back here and I'll do my best to help you out.