1 (edited by hwhatley 2017-11-08 05:10:00)

Topic: Certificate error [SOLVED]

Juicebox builder has stopped working.  I am getting a message that a certificate is not valid.  Any ideas?  Tried so far:  uninstalled Juicebox builder and Adobe Air, reinstalled both.

Re: Certificate error [SOLVED]

That certainly seems very strange; my own JuiceboxBuilder installations (both Lite and Pro) are both still working fine (on my Windows PC).

Does the error message appear when you try to run the application (rather than when trying to install it)?
What exactly is the error message? If I know the exact text of the message, it might help to troubleshoot the problem.
Also, please let me know if you use a Mac or PC and what operating system (and version number) you have installed (just in case it is somehow relevant). Thank you.

Please make sure that you are using the latest versions of both Adobe AIR (v27.0) and JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (v1.5.1).
If you are not already using the latest versions, then please download them from the links below and try completely uninstalling and reinstalling both applications. (If you use a Mac, try emptying your Trash after uninstalling both applications and before reinstalling them.)

Adobe AIR: https://get.adobe.com/air/
Juicebox-Lite: https://www.juicebox.net/download/

Here are some tips which might help:
(1) Uninstall both Adobe AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and, if you use a Mac, empty your Trash afterwards.
(2) Reinstall the latest versions of both Adobe AIR (v27.0) and JuiceboxBuilder-Lite (v1.5.1).
(3) Make sure that you install the applications under a user account with administrative rights.
(4) Make sure that you do not install the applications from a restricted file system, a network drive or a synced folder (e.g. Dropbox or Google Drive).
(5) Try installing and running JuiceboxBuilder-Lite whilst connected to the internet and then again whilst disconnected. (I'm not sure if this will make a difference but it's just something that I'd probably try myself in trying to troubleshoot such a problem where I'm unsure of the cause.)

I hope this helps.
Please let me know how you get on.

Steven - thank you for your reply.  I have already tried removing and reinstalling Juicebox and Air.  The versions are both current.  The first symptom was that I could not open an existing gallery to edit it.  Juicebox just stayed at the opening page.  When I closed Juicebox there was a pop-up underneath it about an expired certificate.  Unfortunately I did not capture it, and it has not reappeared.  I was not running the latest version, so I tried to install it.  The installation failed, again because of a certificate error.  At that point I uninstalled Juicebox and Air and reinstalled them with fresh downloads.  This time there was no error message during installation, but Juicebox still won't open an existing gallery, and if I try to create a new gallery, nothing works.  I can't add images.

My PC is running Windows 10, 64 bit (up to date, but not the creator's update).  I run the Avast Internet Security suite.  Everything else seems to be working OK.

UPDATE:  I have found the source of the problem.  Avast is preventing Juicebox from running.  If I temporarily disable Avast all is fine.  I have not been able to identify the specific part of Avast that is causing the problem.  I am going to take this up with Avast.

I'm glad to hear that you've found the root of your problem.
Thank you for taking the time to post back to let me know. It's most appreciated.
Thanks also for taking the issue up with Avast. Please let me know how you get on.

Avast suggested adding the program to the "Exclusion" list, but that did not solve the problem.  The latest version of Avast has a Ransomware shield.  That appears to be the component that is causing the trouble because disabling only that component solves the problem.  There does not seem to be any way to exclude items from that shield, it is either on or off.

Thank you for the update and additional information.

I have now filed a false positive report with Avast (https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php).
I will post back here when I hear back from them.

Thanks again for your help in tracking down this issue.

Good news! I have heard back from Avast and they have now cleared the JuiceboxBuilder-Lite executable file's reputation in their database.
They say that the change may take up to 24 hours to take effect so, hopefully, you should have no problem running JuiceboxBuilder-Lite alongside Avast's Ransomeware Shield after your Avast database is next updated.