Topic: Safari 11.0 - local gallery Error

I ran the update on Safari to 11.0, directly before building a new Gallery with Juicebox Pro v1.5.1, using Lightroom Plugin. 

After building the Gallery, and before uploading it, I always check it locally, to see if all is the way it should be.

I get this error in Safari, when opening the Gallery locally:

Juicebox Error: Config file not found.

So, I also tried several existing galleries that had been built previously, all with same error.

I found Safari could open the uploaded version just fine, and all others I have online on my server. 

I’m concluding that something new in Safari 11.0 is wrong, or perhaps something went wrong in the update process.  BTW, the local files open just fine in Firefox.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?  Should I restore Mac OS System software?

Re: Safari 11.0 - local gallery Error

Unfortunately, Safari 11 (released 19 September 2017) has introduced a new security restriction which now prevents the local viewing of Juicebox galleries by default.

Here is the relevant quote from the Apple support page detailing the issue:

Security and Privacy

Updated file restrictions to block cross origin access by default.

CORS and cross origin access from file:// are now blocked unless Disable Local File Restrictions is selected from the Develop menu.

Because this development with Safari has occurred after the most recent version of Juicebox was released, Juicebox displays the "Config file not found." message instead of the more descriptive "Juicebox can not display locally in this browser." message.

It looks like a suitable workaround should be to select 'Disable Local File Restrictions' from the 'Develop' menu.

• Pull down the 'Safari' menu and choose 'Preferences'.

• Click on the 'Advanced' tab.

• Check the box next to 'Show Develop menu in menu bar'.

• Close 'Preferences'. The 'Develop' menu will now be visible between Bookmarks and Window menus.

• Pull down the 'Develop' menu and choose 'Disable Local File Restrictions'.

This should be no more of a security risk than running Safari 10 but please note that relaxing your browser's security settings should be done at your own risk.

I have notified the developers of this issue but I think there is little that can be done within Juicebox (other than to display a more descriptive error message).

As well as configuring Safari to disable local file restrictions, you should also be able to view Juicebox galleries locally in Firefox (Mac and PC) or Edge (Windows 10 users) with default settings.

Please note that this issue is specific to viewing galleries locally (from a computer's hard drive).
There is no such issue once the galleries have been uploaded to a web server where they can be viewed successfully in any modern browser (including Safari 11).

3 (edited by jess.photosmith 2017-09-23 17:59:00)

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the reply and explanation.  That certainly explains the behavior I was seeing.  However, there is no obvious "Develop" menu, where I can "Disable Local File Restrictions."  Likely more something that is done under the hood, which I am not sure I know how to do that.  Also, not sure by your reply if Juicebox plans to modify their programing to accommodate this new security protocol -- if that is even possible.   For now, I will keep Firefox around just for the purpose of local preview of the Galleries.

Wow, OK, if I just took a minute.  Anyway, answering my own question, here are instructions in case anyone else is is "slow" as me:

Here's how to enable the hidden Develop menu in Safari:
Pull down the “Safari” menu and choose “Preferences”
Click on the “Advanced” tab.
Check the box next to “Show Develop menu in menu bar”
Close Preferences, the Develop menu will now be visible between Bookmarks and Window menus.

After that, I chose the appropriate menu item in the Develop menu, and Local viewing of Galleries is now back.

... Local viewing of Galleries is now back.

I'm glad you've got local viewing back in Safari. Thank you for letting me know and for posting instructions. (I've incorporated the instructions into my post above so that I can point other users to the post and have all the relevant information in one place.)

Also, not sure by your reply if Juicebox plans to modify their programing to accommodate this new security protocol -- if that is even possible.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done from within Juicebox to circumvent a browser's security restrictions. To allow local viewing in browsers which have this local file restriction (without changing any browser settings), Juicebox would need to change the way that it stores gallery data (and this would likely require some big changes).

With this small change to Safari 11, local viewing is, once again, possible (and Juicebox galleries can still be viewed locally in Edge and Firefox without any change of settings).