1 (edited by Steve1951 2017-07-07 00:48:32)

Topic: Juiceboxbuilder-Pro always crashes with a deep directory structure.

I am using version 1.5.0.  When I attempt to add images from the directory listed below, the program crashes 100% of the time.

D:\wwwtop\provider\Web_current\public_html\bmwmoal\photo_gallery\Blue_Springs_State_Park_February_2014\_Source\Blue_Springs_State_Park_February_2014

I moved the file to this directory, and it functioned properly.

D:\Picasa\Blue_Springs_State_Park_February_2014

Possibly there is a problem with deep directories?

Here is the information about my system

Edition - Windows 10 Pro
Version - 1607
OS Build - 14393.1358
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67 GHz
Installed RAM - 12.0 GB
System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Re: Juiceboxbuilder-Pro always crashes with a deep directory structure.

It sounds like the problem is due to an underlying maximum path issue with either Windows 10 or Adobe AIR (the platform on which JuiceboxBuilder runs).
Either way, I think there is little that can be done (other than moving the images to a more shallow directory structure before feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder). I'm fairly certain that JuiceboxBuilder is not imposing a maximum path length itself.

Your testing sounds fairly conclusive: fails with a long path; works with a short path.

I've tried to replicate the problem myself but, strangely enough, have not been able to.
I created a directory structure as long as Windows 10 will allow (using the alphabet as a folder name and topping things off with a couple of digital at the end to max it out).

C:\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01

I then copied a few images to the 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01' folder, added them to JuiceboxBuilder from this location and the application created the gallery successfully.

Even setting the Gallery Folder on the 'Publish' tab to be the long path above, I cannot get JuiceboxBuilder to crash (under Windows 10 Pro v1703 x64) even though it fails to create all the gallery files in the 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01' folder.

I think the resolution to this problem is just to use shorter paths.
However, you might like to try removing the default maximum path length that Windows 10 imposes to see if this makes a difference.
It involves either modifying the registry or making a change in the group policy editor. Please see this web page for details.
Please note that I am not recommending that you do this. It is just a suggestion if you are comfortable making changes to your Windows 10 system via the registry or group policy.
Please note that if you choose to make any changes via the registry or group policy, you do so at your own risk.
I recommend that you just shorten your paths before using JuiceboxBuilder.

Incidentally, I have not made this change to my own PC. My tests above were carried out using the default Windows 10 maximum path length.
Also, I realise that the path you posted above is less than Window's default maximum path length of 260 characters but removing this limit might be worth a shot if you feel you want to try something.

Not really a big problem for me.  Just wanted to let you know in case someone else had the same problem.  If I get a chance, I'll do some more testing to see if I can narrow it down.

Although I don't need further action on your part, I have performed further testing and here are the results.

If I select 95 images from the deep directory, it processes correctly.

If I select 100 images from the deep directory, it crashes.

So it seems to be a combination of a deep directory and the number of images to process.

Did you try adding all 100 images at once from the shallow directory structure (and, if so, did it work)?
There is a known issue which can occur when adding many images at once and if you are adding a large batch of images, the maximum path length might just be a red herring.

If you add many images at once, Adobe AIR may not be able to allocate enough memory for the task at hand. Even if your computer has plenty of free RAM, Adobe AIR applications are limited to around 1GB of memory allocation. The workaround is to add your images in smaller batches.

I don't know if this is relevant but it might be something to bear in mind when testing further.

6 (edited by Steve1951 2017-07-07 22:54:30)

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

Did you try adding all 100 images at once from the shallow directory structure (and, if so, did it work)?

Yes, that directory contained 183 images and all 183 processed fine with the shallow directory.

Steven @ Juicebox wrote:

There is a known issue which can occur when adding many images at once and if you are adding a large batch of images, the maximum path length might just be a red herring.

If you add many images at once, Adobe AIR may not be able to allocate enough memory for the task at hand. Even if your computer has plenty of free RAM, Adobe AIR applications are limited to around 1GB of memory allocation. The workaround is to add your images in smaller batches.

I just ran into this limit.  I attempted to process 247 images in the shallow directory and it crashed.  As a workaround, I processed 100 images and then processed 147 images to create the 247 image gallery.

Thank you for the additional information.
It looks like a lot of images in conjunction with a deep directory structure is not an ideal combination.
Unfortunately, being that they are both platform limitations (rather than bugs specific to the JuiceboxBuilder code), there is little that we can do to eradicate them.
At least knowing that both of these issues cause problems, we can work around them (with a less deep directory structure and by adding small batches of images instead of one large batch).