Topic: loading PNG files

I use images freestanding and load as PNG. Images however are converted in Juicebox to JPG and lose their freestanding capability
They appear as images with a white or black background.
Is it possible to keep the freestanding images?

Re: loading PNG files

When JuiceboxBuilder resizes a PNG file, it converts it to a JPG file and transparent regions are rendered as black in the main image but white in the thumbnail. The developers are aware of this inconsistency and it has been logged as a bug.

When choosing not to resize PNG images (by deselecting the 'Resize Images' checkbox on the 'Images') tab, the original PNG images are copied across to the gallery's 'images' folder (unprocessed) but with an incorrect '.jpg' file extension. This has also been logged as a bug.
To regain transparency, you'll need to rename the file extensions in the 'images' folder from '.jpg' to '.png' and also change the file extensions in the corresponding imageURL entries in the gallery's 'config.xml' file.
Please note that the thumbnails (in the 'thumbs' folder) will have been converted to JPG files (with transparent regions rendered as white). If you like, you can just use the imageURL paths (after correcting the file extensions) for the thumbURL entries by manually editing the 'config.xml' file. Juicebox will dynamically scale the images when the gallery is displayed and you'll have transparency in both the main images and thumbnails.

I realise that this is inconvenient and adds a few extra steps to your workflow but, until the bugs are fixed, it is at least still possible to display PNG files with transparency in a Juicebox gallery (with a bit of work).

Both of the PNG related issues above have been logged as bugs and should be fixed in a future version (but, unfortunately, I do not know exactly when this might be).

thanks for your reaction Steven although I am disappointed there is no solution for the problem. As a longtime user of  SV-Builder pro I am used to this way of making a slider. I bought juicebox because it was not easy (I could not manage) to implement SV-Builder into WordPress. Hope this will be better with the Juicebox WP-Plugin.
For now I will solve the problem by chancing the background of my images to the color I want and make the background in JuiceBox the same color. And try to implement with the WP-Juicebox plugin.
Remko

Please note that the 2 bugs above are unique to JuiceboxBuilder (and not Juicebox itself).
The problems occur during the creation of the gallery by JuiceboxBuilder and not during the display of the gallery by Juicebox.
As such, you might find that you get better results with WP-Juicebox (although this will depend on the image source and how the images are handled before they are fed to Juicebox).

Incidentally, if you want to embed a gallery created by JuiceboxBuilder into a WordPress page or post (without using WP-Juicebox), then I'd recommend using the baseUrl method of embedding documented here.
Essentially, once you have created a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder, you would upload the complete gallery folder to your web server and paste the baseUrl embedding code into the body of your WordPress page or post (ensuring that the method of entry is 'Text' rather than 'Visual'). It does not matter where on your web server you upload your gallery folder to as long as the two paths in the embedding code (the path to the 'juicebox.js' file and the baseUrl itself, pointing towards the gallery folder) are correct.

Of course, if you change the transparency of the images (to match the gallery's background color), this should avoid the problem completely, no matter how your gallery is being created. I realise that it is not ideal but I'm glad you've found a suitable workaround until the bugs are fixed.