1 (edited by stefaan 2013-08-26 21:43:20)

Topic: Linking thumbdot colors to navbutton colors makes dots useless

I just upgraded from 1.1 to 1.3.2 and noticed new (different) behavior from the thumb dots.

Colors for the thumb dots are now linked to the nav button background & icon colors. This makes the dots next to useless.

Consider the following (in my opinion not uncommon) scenario:

- a white page (or background)
- containing a darker / non-white photograph

default settings for the nav buttons are a light icon (white) on a transparent black background. With these settings, you get a row of ugly dark dots, with the active dot white (invisible).

Since you're using the same color settings for two opposite situations (nav buttons on a dark/non-white background, and dots on a white background), you end up with a design problem that can not be solved. I basically have of choice of making the dots invisible, or the nav buttons.

Please provide separate configuration options!

(I assume your developer uses a test setup with a black page or background...).

minor bug: the default spacing between dots also changed between versions.

thanks,

stefaan

Re: Linking thumbdot colors to navbutton colors makes dots useless

The issue you describe (thumb dots becoming invisible) becomes a problem if either the navButtonIconColor or the navButtonBackColor is the same as the gallery background color so a workaround would be to ensure that all three colors differ slightly. I understand that you do not want to do this but it might be a compromise that will help other users reading this post.

Please provide separate configuration options!

Please post suggestions in the Feature Requests forum thread.
This keeps them all together and ensures that they are not overlooked. Thank you.

minor bug: the default spacing between dots also changed between versions.

The slight change in appearance is likely to have happened with the introduction of vector icon fonts in v1.3.0.

ehh...  fixing something that a new version broke should not be a feature request, but a bugfix. I'll add it anyway, but I expect this will never be implemented since your developer doesn't seem to realize there's a problem in the first place.

I fail to see how using _slightly_ different colors could results in something that's remotely usable. I spent an hour experimenting with different color combinations, and it doesn't work. I'm open to any concrete suggestions.

Back to 1.1 I guess!

stefaan

I'll add it anyway, but I expect this will never be implemented since your developer doesn't seem to realize there's a problem in the first place.

I do not know whether or not this suggestion will be implemented but thank you for adding it to the Feature Requests thread where it will not be overlooked.

I'm open to any concrete suggestions.

Currently, as long as the navButtonIconColor and navButtonBackColor are both different from the gallery's background color, then the thumb dots should always be visible (whether they are unselected, hovered over or selected).

Yes, you can make them visible, but it results in a rather unpleasing color scheme. Taste is personal, I know, but I simply want to keep the excellent and pleasing default settings from previous releases. I don't think that's too much to ask - after all, I paid for certain functionality (or look and feel), and now that functionality suddenly disappeared.

stefaan