Topic: performance problem

This is a puzzling one. I have built a site for a client with a number of large galleries. They are reporting very slow loading of images in all galleries - they wait for the first image to display and start clicking each image in order - after 3-4 images each image takes a very long time to load. They get this consistently in 3 distinct environments/locations. I've seen speedtest results for one of them and it's a very fast connection.

I, on the other hand, do not experience this at all - ever. I've tested it on a wired computer and wireless ipad and itouch. Tested on Chrome (on computer) and safari on devices. I believe they are using firefox and safari.

I have the preloading option set to "page" which I assume preloads the first set of thumbnail images (10) before the first image displays. So selecting images 3-4 and on in that first set should load instantaneously, no? Shouldn't that be the option that would be best to avoid this very behavior they are seeing?

The images are fairly large (~1mb each) because I want high quality display for full screen mode.

Here is a link to the site: http://caitlinmccaffreystudio.com/caitlin/indexnew.htm

I can't understand why my experience (on different wired/wireless devices) is so different than theirs in different environments on high speed networks.

Is there anything I might do, other than make the images smaller, that could improve their performance - or issues to look for on their end that might explain the difference in performance?

Thanks
Bob

Re: performance problem

With this gallery on my cable internet connection I see the preloader for the first image for about 3 seconds, then the next images on the page load instantly (since they are preloaded in the background).

It could be that you are viewing the galleries with the images already cached by the browser in which case they will always load instantly. You will need to clear your browser cache to avoid this.

Realistically 1 MB images are always going to take some time to load. The trick is to find the right balance of file-size and image quality. I would try reducing the JPEG compression quality to get something around 500K.

As a comparison the images on this demo gallery are high quality at 1600 x 1000 px and are around 300k each.