Topic: config.xml Not Found: jAlbum Juicebox skin 1.3.0

For the first time, I got the dreaded config.xml not found error. I've been using JB Pro since being a beta tester for it, and almost always via the JB skin in jAlbum. I don't do any frame embedding or anything tricky -- no other css files and that sort of thing -- and have never encountered this problem. These are all "stand-alone" pages.

Okay, here's what changed for me today (been out of town for a few weeks):

- Upgraded jAlbum to 11.2.1.
- Upgraded the JB skin (which jAlbum told me about, because it's my default skin) to 1.3.0.
- Downloaded and installed the 1.3.0 version of JB Pro.
- Copied C:\Program Files\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\template\jbcore\ and its subdirectories, overwriting C:\Users\Billy-PC-300GB\AppData\Roaming\jAlbum\skins\Juicebox\res\juicebox\jbcore\ and subdirectories.

The first order of business was to add a few photos to an existing gallery, via the existing .jap file for it. Did so, did the Upload via jAlbum, no problems.

The next order of business was to create a new jAlbum gallery. The Preview just hung, as did the actual web page after the Upload (which I did anyway). Firefox just sits there spinning, but IE(9), Opera, and Safari let me know that my problem is "Juicebox Error: Config XML file not found."

Using Juicebox Pro-the-program, I don't seem to have any problem (other than trying to replicate the various settings I've built up over the months in the jAlbum skin).

Here's a sample URL for you: http://www.billanddot.com/jalbum-juicebox-130-test/ .

Thoughts? You know of anyone else using the combination of 11.2.1 and the 1.3.0 skin?

Cheers,

Bill P.

Re: config.xml Not Found: jAlbum Juicebox skin 1.3.0

There is a problem with your test gallery's XML file: http://www.billanddot.com/jalbum-juiceb … config.xml
There is a duplicate attribute: useFullscreenExpand="TRUE"
Try removing this to see if it helps.

Nope, removing one of the useFullscreenExpand lines didn't help. So I think that's a red herring here, although a good catch -- thanks, Steven.

BTW, I don't know why there were two instances of useFullscreenExpand. One was useFullscreenExpand="false" as the last entry in what appears to be the group generated programmatically by the software. The other entry was useFullscreenExpand="TRUE", an entry among those I added in jAlbum's Album Settings -> Juicebox -> Pro Options box (and I added it last, and like the other options I added, I used capitalization for the values).

Thus, it looks as if the combination of 11.2.1 and 1.3.0 in jAlbum ignored that specification -- somewhat -- but changing that* doesn't seem to help.

Pretty strange: I've generated about 60 galleries this way, with nary a problem, until now. Are there older versions of jAlbum and the JB skin tucked away somewhere that I can reinstall? On my own, I can put back the JB Pro 1.2.0 /jbcore/ files, because I still have the 120.zip file somewhere.

* (I just deleted the useFullscreenExpand="false" from the config.xml file, and overwrote the one on my server with it.)

I notice that your gallery's XML file now has a duplicate textColor attribute and I now realise what is going on.
Prior to Juicbeox v1.3.0, certain configuration options (textColor, thumbFrameColor, useFullScreenExpand and useThumbDots) were Pro-only. However, these options were changed to Lite in v1.3.0 and the jAlbum skin now enters these options into the XML file using the values chosen in the interface. If you have any of these options listed in the Pro Options text area, then there will be duplicate attributes in the XML file causing the problem you have reported.
I will ensure that the next version of the skin does not allow Lite entries from the Pro Options text area to be entered into the XML file. Until then, remove the above options from your Pro Options text area (or directly from the XML file itself) and all should be well.

Ah, I see -- I noticed, in passing, that the skin interface was, um, taller than before, but didn't pay attention to it.

A couple of comments:

- You think about allowing duplicate attributes to show up in the config.xml, and last-one-wins, or something like that?

- As that "not found" message was not really very helpful in this case, is it feasible to somehow generate additional error messages, e.g., "Juicebox Error: the config.xml file is really messed up."

In any event, thanks very much for your debugging help.

Unfortunately most XML parsers will throw an error if duplicate attribute names are used, so it's hard to show an error specifically for this situation.

Addenda: In the Juicebox skin, the dialog box -- at least as it defaults on my system -- is not long enough to show all items (and I'm talking about those tabs that do not have scroll bars) without resizing it manually. This is true for the followoing jAlbum tabs now with Juicebox:

Pages
Images -> Advanced
Advanced -> Metadata

When opening the settings window with the Juicebox skin active, the settings window should not be larger than your monitor's screen. It's maximum height should be no greater than the maximum height of your screen and a vertical scrollbar should appear if necessary.

If this does not seem to be true on your system, try opening the skin's 'onload.bsh' file in a plain text editor and change the instance of window.settingsWindow.setPreferredSize (near the end of the file) to window.settingsWindow.setSize (and then reload the skin) to see if this makes a difference.

Failing that, try deleting everything after the window.pack(); line (in the same 'onload.bsh' file) to see if this helps.

Felix wrote:

Unfortunately most XML parsers will throw an error if duplicate attribute names are used, so it's hard to show an error specifically for this situation.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation, Felix.

Steven wrote:

When opening the settings window with the Juicebox skin active, the settings window should not be larger than your monitor's screen. It's maximum height should be no greater than the maximum height of your screen and a vertical scrollbar should appear if necessary.

If this does not seem to be true on your system, try opening the skin's 'onload.bsh' file in a plain text editor and change the instance of window.settingsWindow.setPreferredSize (near the end of the file) to window.settingsWindow.setSize (and then reload the skin) to see if this makes a difference.

Failing that, try deleting everything after the window.pack(); line (in the same 'onload.bsh' file) to see if this helps.

Sorry, I didn't explain the situation clearly. I have plenty of screen space to enlarge the settings window. It's just that by default I now have to enlarge that window to show all of the fields in those tabs I mentioned. I thought that its default size would now be larger than before, by default and given sufficient monitor real estate. Not a big deal.

Try the new version of the Juicebox skin (v1.3.1.0) which can be downloaded from this page.
I have changed setPreferredSize to setSize and I notice a difference (though I have never needed to resize the settings window to show all the controls on the tabs you mentioned).
Hopefully it fixes the problem. If not, I'll just remove the 'smart' window sizing in the next version of the skin.

Steven wrote:

Try the new version of the Juicebox skin (v1.3.1.0) which can be downloaded from this page.
I have changed setPreferredSize to setSize and I notice a difference (though I have never needed to resize the settings window to show all the controls on the tabs you mentioned).
Hopefully it fixes the problem. If not, I'll just remove the 'smart' window sizing in the next version of the skin.

Yep, the latest version of the skin fixed the default sizing quirks in those three tabs I mentioned above. Thanks, Steven.

I'm glad the fix works. Thanks for letting me know.