Topic: Not loading galleries over cellular networks 3g/4g

Hi,

I see in the FAQ that you all are aware that galleries are not loading over cellular networks.
I've only experienced this with the embedded galleries.  Unfortunately, this product is completely useless to me if
my galleries can't be viewed on 3g/4g networks.   

Is it possible to have some PHP code automatically direct my mobile browser viewers to a full desktop site where my galleries will load properly?

I don't really want a button on my home page for a mobile/desktop version of my site.
I'm not very good with PHP so I really have no idea how to work around this.
I saw some stuff online about having some PHP code force your mobile browser to show the desktop version of the site.
I don't have a mobile version of my website but mobile browsers like Safari on IOS6 seem to think my site is a mobile version.

Do you know if this is the case with the simple viewer galleries too?

Thank you!  I love your products!

-julian

Re: Not loading galleries over cellular networks 3g/4g

For your own website's galleries, try creating an .htaccess file containing the following code and upload it to your website's root directory. (Please note that this requires an Apache server and is untested.)

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Cache-Control "no-transform"
</IfModule>

You could also contact your 3G provider to see if it is possible for content modification to be turned off on your account.

Do you know if this is the case with the simple viewer galleries too?

Yes. There is a similar FAQ for SimpleViewer here. Unfortunately, content modification breaks many websites that uses JavaScript, not just Juicebox and SimpleViewer galleries.

Thanks for your help.  I wasn't able to get the .htaccess file to work on my Apache server.  Did the file need a specific name?  I just named it (new.htaccess).   I don't care so much that I can't view the galleries on my cell phone as I'm able to use chrome on my device and select the "Request Desktop Site" button.  I just don't want everyone else to have to use my workaround to see my galleries on the go.  I've only tested Sprint and AT&T in the USA so far.  AT&T seems to work just fine while Sprint just recently turned on content modification making the embedded galleries not load anymore.  Thanks again for your help.  Keep me posted if there is a better fix for this.  =)

Did the file need a specific name?  I just named it (new.htaccess).

The file must be named .htaccess not anything else such as new.htaccess. If you have trouble creating a file with such a filename on your system, you can upload the file as new.htaccess but then rename it using an FTP program once it is on your server.
(I posted this as a suggestion as another user claimed to have success using such a .htaccess file.)

Steven wrote:

Did the file need a specific name?  I just named it (new.htaccess).

The file must be named .htaccess not anything else such as new.htaccess. If you have trouble creating a file with such a filename on your system, you can upload the file as new.htaccess but then rename it using an FTP program once it is on your server.
(I posted this as a suggestion as another user claimed to have success using such a .htaccess file.)

And if the root already has an .htaccess file (like mine), am I correct that you could just tack those three lines at the end, for example? (My file currently has a lot of pairs of a "RewriteCond" line followed by a "RewriteRule" line, for instance. There's also the odd "AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php" and similar lines.)

Bill P.

Yes. If you already have an existing .htaccess file, you can just add the code to the file.

Steven wrote:

Yes. If you already have an existing .htaccess file, you can just add the code to the file.

Thanks, Steven.

Bill