1 (edited by gnits 2013-03-12 10:01:13)

Topic: New Juicebox User Experiences.

New Juicebox User Experiences.

1. Full Screen Mode Button

The button for full screen mode disappears when  I go full screen mode.  I cannot return to normal mode (my background is white, not sure if it is disappearing into the background). I cannot find anything to control this behaviour. Even when I go back to the home page and then back to the posting the slideshow is in full screen mode.

I have discovered if I clear the cache I get back to normal mode, but users will not know or understand this.

I cannot understand why the return button is not visible with the others in the button bar.

(Update. Is working now).

2. Titles and Captions.
All Titles and Captions text have text shadows.  A show stopper. How can I get rid of this.   It may be a theme issue, but surely this critical text format should be controlled by a Juicebox configuration.

3. Adding Images using WP-Juicebox.
Adding Images in Wp-Juicebox is so so so extremely  painful. Please update your documentation, provide a tutorial, show a movie, do something !!!!  I wasted a full half day, read pages and pages  of messages on your forum to try and find an answer. I think I understand how it works now.  I suspect many people run headlong into this wall and give up. Lost for ever. Crazy, crazy, crazy. The most important element of your tool and you leave people totally confused. Seriously an area for improved documentation and improved functionality.

4. Control of Padding and Margins
How do I remove/ change the horizontal and vertical padding around the Title and Caption and Main Image. I have opted to have the text aligned under the image.  I want to embed into an existing theme and all spare pixels are critical. Yes, this may be theme related, but I want to control it in Juicebox and do not want to have to revisit if I change themes or use in another web site in the future.

5. Vertical Spacing
How do I move the main image so it is directly under the top thumbs (ie no white space, see http://mattobrienblogcom.fatcow.com/matt_blog/?p=1320 ), where my thumbs are aligned at the top of the page.  I normally have one (and very occasionally two) paragraphs of Caption Text as well as Title Text and would like to keep everything on a page without scrolling and without the text overwriting the image.

I think this tool has a lot of potential. If I can clear these issues I can get to basecamp.  I have purchased the pro version, I want it to work and would hate to have to look for a refund.

Looking forward to progressing these.

Re: New Juicebox User Experiences.

Fulll Screen Mode Button.  This is working now.

Do not understand why, but it is working. Will create a separate post if it re-occurs.

2. Titles and Captions.

The drop shadow for the captions is not configurable from within the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro interface.
Edit the 'jbcore/classic/theme.css' file in a plain text editor and remove lines 215:

text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.5);

(The line number refers to Juicebox-Pro v1.2.0.)

Instructions for adding images to a WP-Juicebox gallery (for both WordPress prior to v3.5 and WordPress v3.5 or later) can be found on this web page (using WordPress's own terminology). Essentially, all you need to do is attach images to the post containing the gallery and the images will appear in the gallery.

The margin around the main image is controlled by the imagePadding configuration option. The imagePadding value is used in all directions (top, bottom, left and right) around the main image.
In order to use this configuration option in WP-Juicebox, you would need to upgrade the plugin from Juicebox-Lite (which it comes bundled with) to Juicebox-Pro by following the instructions on this page and then add imagePadding configuration option to the Pro Options text area in your gallery settings.
There are no configuration options to adjust the padding around the titles and captions, though you can set maxCaptionHeight (to ensure that the caption area's height does not go beyond a set value) and captionHAlign (to horizontally align the titles and caption within the caption area).
If you wish to configure a gallery beyond the available configuration options, you might like to look into modifying the gallery's 'jbcore/classic/theme.css' file. Please see the Theming Guide for further information.

5. Vertical Spacing

We plan to introduce new configuration options in the next version of Juicebox-Pro which will allow you to horizontally and vertically align thumbnails and main images within their respective areas. Until then, make sure that you set low values for thumbPadding and imagePadding to minimize the space between the thumbnails and main images.

2. Titles and Captions.

Complete. (although confused because I set up the gallery using the Windows client and copying the full folder to my ftp site,  calling the gallery via embedded code in the posting.  I have two classic css files on the ftp site and changes were not happening because I was making them to the wrong file .

Lets leave that discussion for another day.

How do I handle this setting with an embedded gallery in a posting. I bought the pro version, so used the Windows JuiceBuilderPro to configure the gallery. As far as I am aware I do not have a gallery in WP to apply the pro settings to (maybe I do... how do I find it).  I need to keep this gallery with its current links, etc for a week or two as others will be reviewing how this gallery evolves.

Re Padding/ Margins around caption and Titles.

What is setting these values, extracted via Firebug
element.style {
    background-color: rgba(255, 255, 0, 0);
    color: #000000;
    display: block;
    max-height: 176px;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    overflow-y: hidden;
    padding-bottom: 12px;
    padding-left: 18px;
    padding-right: 18px;
    padding-top: 12px;

z-index: 1000;
}

5. Vertical Spacing.

I have eliminated the thumbs panel completely. Maybe the next version will make setting up these relative spaces easier. What is the best way to put in a formal change request. I have a suggestion to make.

Finally,
Before I purchased the pro version, I checked these forums and was impressed with the quality of the response. They substantially influenced my decision to take a risk and purchase the Pro version. While we disagree on how you handle adding images to Galleries,  I am pleased with the quality of the overall response.

Thank you.

How do I handle this setting with an embedded gallery in a posting. I bought the pro version, so used the Windows JuiceBuilderPro to configure the gallery.

You would need to change any configuration options (such as imagePadding) in the gallery's own 'config.xml' file (rather than in any WordPress setting).

As far as I am aware I do not have a gallery in WP to apply the pro settings to (maybe I do... how do I find it).

That is correct. If you have embedded a Juicebox gallery into a WordPress post manually, then WP-Juicebox (the Juicebox plugin for WordPress) will know nothing about it.

What is setting these values, extracted via Firebug

These values are calculated and set by the 'juicebox.js' file which is obfuscated and cannot be modified.

What is the best way to put in a formal change request. I have a suggestion to make.

Please post feature requests in this forum thread. It ensures that they will not be overlooked.

While we disagree on how you handle adding images to Galleries,

If the documentation can be improved, that can only be a good thing. I will take a look at the current instructions and see if they can be made clearer.

I am pleased with the quality of the overall response.

That's great to hear. Thank you.

6 (edited by gnits 2013-03-13 11:02:05)

These values are calculated and set by the 'juicebox.js' file which is obfuscated and cannot be modified.

Title Placement.
This is a real blow and may be a show stopper for me. Juicebox is inserting 12 and 18 pixel padding around the Title and Caption and so will always have a 12 pixel gap between the Image and the Title.

This prevents me from having the Title of the Picture directly under the image (ie within a few pixels). Very disappointing that such a critical dimension cannot be adjusted. For such a good tool this is the only Slideshow I have trialled to date which does not allow me place my title directly under its respective image.  I have to think about this .

Caption Placement.

Juicebox.js is placing padding of 18px to the left and right of the caption. That is 36 pixels in total.  For images which are wide landscape this is not an issue. However, for images which may be square or worse, portrait, then this consumes a lot of the available screen real estate, forcing a higher setting for the caption space and distorting (negatively) the overall appearance of the slide.

I will be placing one or two short paragraphs under every image, so the effect is significant.

What are my options to adjust these parameters.  Is there something I can do so Juicebox.js calculates these to be small numbers.

Unfortunately, your tool will not allow me place Captions to the Right for Portraits and Under for Landscapes, which would be the ideal solution and provide a better presentation of Portrait slides.

What are my options to adjust these parameters.  Is there something I can do so Juicebox.js calculates these to be small numbers.

To remove the padding around the titles and captions, try adding the following CSS to your gallery's 'jbcore/classic/theme.css' file:

.jb-cap-frame .jb-caption {
    padding: 0 !important;
}

Unfortunately, your tool will not allow me place Captions to the Right for Portraits and Under for Landscapes, which would be the ideal solution and provide a better presentation of Portrait slides.

As you are aware, Juicebox does not support positioning captions to the left or right of the main images but I notice that you have suggested this in the Feature Requests thread. Thank you for your suggestion.

To remove the padding around the titles and captions, try adding the following CSS to your gallery's 'jbcore/classic/theme.css' file:

This works a treat.  It saves even more screen real estate than I figured and can actually reduce the size I allocated for the Description field.

I am delighted to get this adjustment.

I can safely say I have reached base-camp and can now use Juicebox. I will not be looking for a refund, but look forward to using this productively into the future.

I have still have a problem with WP-Juicebox adding images, but will deal with that on a separate thread if necessary. Hopefully a conflict with themes or plug-ins.

I have lodged a feature request to allow the Description to be placed to the right of an image if the image is square or portrait in shape (but keep the Title under the image).

I will use Juicebox  now for the next week or so to get more familiar with this tool.  I will probably revert then on a new thread with a few questions which will allow me optimise my workflow.

Thanks for the quality responses.