Topic: Juicebox as a powerpoint presenter

Hi,
I tried making a presentation using a Juicebox gallery instead of powerpoint.  There are some serious obstacles to this, but it would be nice to overcome them somehow.  There should be more alternatives to powerpoint.

Main obstacle is the use of remotes.  Is there any way to get a browser to respond to the next slide and previous slide commands of the usual powerpoint remote controls?

Are there any remotes (home theater?) that might allow more control over the slide show?

Jon

Re: Juicebox as a powerpoint presenter

Is there any way to get a browser to respond to the next slide and previous slide commands of the usual powerpoint remote controls?

I am not familiar with powerpoint remote controls but it is possible to change images in a Juicebox-Pro gallery programmatically by using the showNextImage() and showPreviousImage() methods from the Juicebox-Pro API.

Steven wrote:

Is there any way to get a browser to respond to the next slide and previous slide commands of the usual powerpoint remote controls?

I am not familiar with powerpoint remote controls but it is possible to change images in a Juicebox-Pro gallery programmatically by using the showNextImage() and showPreviousImage() methods from the Juicebox-Pro API.

Are these commands tied to the left and right arrow keys in a browser?

I am also not sure of how remotes work, but one guess is that they simulate a keyboard event.  I am pretty sure that they do not simulate left or right arrows.  Maybe page up/down?  Powerpoint responds to these, Firefox does not.
How can I tie page up/down to the showPreviousImage(), showNextImage() methods in Firefox or ie?

Are these commands tied to the left and right arrow keys in a browser?

No. They are commands that can be called using JavaScript to navigate through the main images in the gallery.
If enableKeyboardControls="TRUE", the left and right arrow keys enable users to do the same but they are not directly linked to the API controls. They are an alternative way to navigate through the images.
Perhaps whatever software comes with the remote control can be configured to simulate specific key presses (to use the Juicebox-Pro keyboard shortcuts) or to run custom JavaScript code (to use the Juicebox-Pro API methods).

5 (edited by hiker_jon 2013-02-05 17:57:13)

Hi,
I have been looking for a page that lists the keyboard controls for Juicebox, can't find it.

It seems that Juicebox responds to left and right arrows, but not to up or down arrows or to page up and page down.   I have checked the behavior of powerpoint, adobe reader and a few other slideshow programs.  They equate
right arrow = down arrow = page down = next slide,
left arrow = up arrow = page up = previous slide.

I think these are conventions already established for slide shows.  It would be smart for you to follow them:it might open new uses and users for Juicebox.

edit: just checked some more programs:
the right arrow = page down = next slide and left arrow = page up= previous slide are standard, but the up arrow and down arrow are not always tied to next slide or previous slide.

Jon

I have been looking for a page that lists the keyboard controls for Juicebox, can't find it.

Please see the description for the enableKeyboardControls configuration option in the General section of the Config Options page.