Topic: Images disappearing to be replaced with question marks

I am using the latest version of JBP 1.2.0, the latest Adobe Air, Macbook Air running 10.8.2

I have just returned to JBP after a few weeks hiatus and am bemused: I drag images into JBP as before, the thumbnails appear but when I go onto the customise tab the images are just represented by question marks.  What's going on?

Simon

Re: Images disappearing to be replaced with question marks

after a few weeks hiatus

Have you changed anything (for example have you updated Adobe AIR) in that period?
If so, try reverting back to a previous version of Adobe AIR to see if this helps solve the problem.
Archived versions of Adobe AIR can be found here. For example, try the Adobe AIR 3.3 runtime.
If this still does not help, please upload one of your images somewhere (and post a download link) so that I can try for myself and investigate further.

3 (edited by Mike S 2013-01-16 09:03:32)

I wonder do any of the images have apostrophes, quotation marks or any other non letters in them? If the do rename them using just letters and numbers and see if it solves the problem.

Also, are you opening an existing gallery or creating a new gallery from scratch?

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in replying, I have been opening a new gallery from scratch and it appears to be an issue with an apostrophe used in the filename of the images - as suggested by Mike S (thanks Mike). Once I removed this for a test image the problem went away. Downgrading to earlier Adobe Air versions did not help. Underscores in filenames do not upset JB btw.

So is this another quirk of JB that we will have to live with or can it be fixed in future versions?

Many thanks

best

Simon

As the image filenames form part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters.
Please see section 2.3 of this document for details: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro should be able to handle all images whose filenames use any or all of these characters.

Thanks for the clarification Steven