1 (edited by espirito-de-aventura 2023-07-17 10:23:24)

Topic: Juicebox Galleries (Limit number on a site??)

Hi Steve

I apologize for bothering you again but I would like to know if there is a limit to the number of galleries (juicebox) available on a site, that is, if there is a reasonable number of active galleries for a site (Wordpress) to perform well  (juicebox).

And I'm asking this because lately I've been having problems with slowness on the site and warnings on the service provider of large Physical Memory Usage and CDU Usage.

My site is big, with many pages, many photos and galleries (juicebox with Flickr Photos), and when I say many, I mean many.

I would like to know to what extent the number of galleries can contribute to this problem and if there is any way in configuring them, eventually, to minimize this problem.

The site is: https://espirito-de-aventura.com

this is the base settings I use in almost all galleries (except flickrSetId):

flickrSetId="72157697131516581"
topAreaHeight="60"
galleryTitlePosition="NONE"
galleryTitleHAlign="CENTER"
galleryFontFace="Open Sans"
textShadowColor="rgba(0,0,0,1)"
captionFontColor="rgba(0,0,0,1)"
captionPosition="OVERLAY_IMAGE"
captionHAlign="LEFT"
captionBackColor="rgba(0,0,0,.3)"
captionBackTopColor="rgba(0,0,0,.3)"
captionDropShadow="true"
maxCaptionHeight="80"
showImageOverlay="always"
imageTransitionType="cross_fade"
imageTransitionTime="0.3"
imageCornerRadius="0"
imagePreloading="NEXT"
ImageFrameColor="rgba(197,176,148,1)"
frameWidth="5"
thumbWidth="50"
thumbHeight="50"
thumbsPosition="bottom"
thumbFrameWidth="3"
thumbCornerRadius="0"
autoPlayThumbs="TRUE"
maxThumbColumns="10"
maxThumbRows="1"
buttonBarPosition="OVERLAY_IMAGE"
buttonBarBackColor="rgba(0,0,0,.5)"
buttonBarIconSize="10"
buttonBarHAlign="RIGHT"
showAutoPlayButton="TRUE"
showNavButtons="FALSE"
ShowThumbsOnLoad="”FALSE”"
expandedBackgroundColor="rgba(0,0,0,.9)"
flickrShowTitle="FALSE"
flickrShowDescription="True"
flickrImageCount="100"
flickrImageSize="original"
displayTime="7"
showAutoPlayStatus="TRUE"
goNextOnPlayStatus="TRUE"
imageClickMode="NONE"
autoPlayOnLoad="FALSE"
enableAutoPlay="true"
enableLooping="TRUE"
goNextOnAutoPlay="TRUE"

This does not mean that only the galleries consume resources, but given the large number that I make available on the site, they will certainly have some impact.

I would be very grateful if you could give me some information on this subject.

Thank you very much

Alberto Calé

Re: Juicebox Galleries (Limit number on a site??)

As I'm sure you're aware, there is no actual limit to the number of galleries you can have on a site (or a page) but finite resources in a real world scenario could prove to be a restrictive factor.

Unfortunately, every server is different (with different limits) and each user's galleries are different (with different numbers of images at different filesizes) so it's really difficult to give you a number as to how many galleries is too many.

Having said that, if you only have one gallery per page, then there really shouldn't be a problem at all.
The browser will just be parsing one page at a time (as and when they are viewed) and, thus, only one gallery will be consuming resources at any one time. Galleries on other pages should have no bearing on this problem.
As far as I can see, a problem regarding gallery numbers would only occur if you were displaying multiple galleries on a single page, (i.e. multiple galleries were all being loaded at the same time and many images would be preloaded at once).

Do you maybe have any plugins which preload web pages throughout your site before they are viewed (maybe preloading pages which are linked to from any particular page)? This could potentially cause a large server load (loading a lot of gallery pages in the background).

I notice that you already use imagePreloading="NEXT" in your galleries, preloading just the next image rather than all the images on the current thumbnail page (PAGE) or all the images in the gallery (ALL), so that's good. There's no need to change that.

There's really no other gallery confirmation options you could change that would help with such a problem.
Storing your images locally (instead of using Flickr) might make a difference but I realise that it would be a mammoth task to switch over to this method of image storage (and, to be honest, I really don't know if it would help... it's just something you could theoretically try).

Check your plugins, though. There's may be something there that's contributing to the problem.
As I mentioned above, if you only have one Juicebox gallery per page, then there really shouldn't be a problem (at least where Juicebox galleries are concerned).

Hi Steven

Thank you very much for your answer, which helps me a lot to have a general idea of the situation and to know better what I have to avoid, and eventually test.

I have the notion that my site is a site with a large volume of information, pages, photos, galleries and this has its problems.

I have to study what I can improve.

Your help was important, once again, and I really appreciate your willingness to study and respond to my request.

Thank you very much

Alberto Calé

You're welcome! I'm happy to help if I can.
I know my reply won't instantly solve your problem but I hope that it might shed some light on things from a Juicebox perspective.

Thinking more about your problem, it's certainly possible that a buggy PHP script could be responsible for high memory and CPU usage so the first thing I'd do is update all your active plugins, your current theme and WordPress itself in case a bug in a version that you are using has been fixed.

I hope that you are able to track down the root of your problem.