Topic: App opens, but can't make new gallery or open existing one

Hi, I've been using juicebox pro since it came out. The other day I tried to create a new gallery and update an existing one and nothing happens when I click the new box. When I click existing and click on an existing gallery either nothing happens or it locks up. I'm on Mac Big Sur (I'm 99% sure I created new galleries after the update) but I did enter the script into terminal as instructed in another topic. I also updated to the latest juicebox version, no help.

Re: App opens, but can't make new gallery or open existing one

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
I hope that my suggestions below help you to resolve your problem.

Suggestion #1

The most likely cause of unresponsive 'New Gallery...' and 'Open Gallery...' buttons is a persistent '.tempGallery' folder.
JuiceboxBuilder-Pro creates a temporary folder (named '.tempGallery') whilst a gallery is being created or edited. This folder is automatically deleted on closing JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
However, if for any reason JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is unable to delete the '.tempGallery' folder on closing the application, then the "New Gallery..." and "Open Gallery..." buttons may become unresponsive the next time the program is used.

The most likely cause of a persistent '.tempGallery' folder is the use of an online synced file-sharing folder so we do not recommend saving a gallery to (or opening a gallery from) a folder being synced to an online file-sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
On a Windows system, the '.tempGallery' folder is located here:
Windows: C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\.tempGallery

I'm not sure where the '.tempGallery' folder would be on a Mac but if you search for '.tempGallery', you should hopefully find it (if it exists).

With JuiceboxBuilder-Pro closed, please check to see if your own system has a '.tempGallery' folder in this location and, if so, manually delete it before re-opening JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.

Even if you do not save or load a gallery from a synced folder, if the location of the '.tempGallery' folder is being synced (e.g. the 'Documents' folder on a Windows system), then problems might occur so it's worth checking this suggestion out if you use an online file-sharing service at all.

Suggestion #2

If you have any third-party anti-virus or security software installed, then please try temporarily disabling it (including real-time protection and ransomware detection) in case it is somehow interfering with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's functionality.
(Please do so at your own risk and be sure to disconnect from the internet first.)
If you find that your security software is interfering with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's functionality, then hopefully you'll be able to make an exception for JuiceboxBuilder-Pro in your security software's whitelist.

Suggestion #3

The problem could be caused by corrupt data in the Encrypted Local Store (ELS) folder. Clearing this data may help.
With JuiceboxBuilder-Pro closed, please delete the following folder manually before restarting JuiceboxBulder-Pro.
Windows: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\AIR\ELS\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro
Mac: /Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro

Suggestion #4

If none of the suggestions above help, then I'd recommend completely uninstalling and and then reinstalling both AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (taking the opportunity to ensure that both programs are up to date).
The full uninstall/reinstall procedure is documented as #11 in this forum post.

You can download the latest version of AIR (v33.1.1.533) from Harman's website here.
I have sent you a new download link for your Juicebox-Pro (Single Site License) purchase (in a separate email which you should hopefully have received by now) so that you can download the latest version of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (v1.5.1).

Suggestion #5

Maybe the problem is somehow related to administrative rights.
Is the user account you log into on your laptop an administrator account?  If not, try logging in as an administrator.

Suggestion #6
The only other thing I can think of that has caused problems with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro in the past is a corrupt user profile.
Such an issue usually manifests itself in other ways (not the symptoms you describe) but the workaround is worth a shot to see if it resolves your problem.
Try creating a new administrator user on your system and install AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro user this new user account.

I hope that my suggestions above help.
Please let me know how you get on.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.
I worked my way through your list. I'm on Mac Big Sur. I couldn't find a '.tempGallery' folder on my machine using finder search.

I don't have any third party anti-virus or security, but I did turn off my ad block software to no avail.

I looked through the files for the ELS folder, I don't have one. Before I asked for help I deleted the older juicebox app per instructions I found here and didn't have the ELS folder then either.

I uninstalled AIR and downloaded and installed the latest version per your instructions, and uninstalled and reinstalled the current version of JBP again, no joy.

I only have one account on my Macbook pro.

The only thing I haven't done is your last suggestion, to create a new admin account. Juicebox worked for me a few days ago-I'm thinking my best option might be to use my most recent time machine backup (I'm a photographer and keep all my work files on external drives) and see if last weeks backup will fix it.

one more thing, when installing juicebox I got this dialog I attached. I dismissed it by clicking 'always allow' but I have no idea what that PW might be

Thanks for the update and for trying my suggestions.
I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems, though.

I don't know if I can help further but here are notes on the points that you raise. They might somehow point you in the right direction.

Just for clarification, do you have a synced backup/sharing folder on your computer (Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)?
This is the only thing that has definitively been known to cause the symptoms you report.

I looked through the files for the ELS folder...

I find that a little strange as JuiceboxBuilder-Pro definitely makes use of the Encrypted Local Storage feature of AIR.

Juicebox worked for me a few days ago-

Has anything changed on your system since the last time JuiceboxBuilder-Pro was working OK? Have you installed any new programs or have you updated your operating system or any other software?

Using a Time Machine backup is certainly a good idea (especially after trying everything else). I hope it works for you.
Failing that, I'd still try creating a new administrator user account and installing AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under the new account. There's nothing to lose (and you can always delete the user account afterwards if it does not work).

... I have no idea what that PW might be

It's most likely the known issue regarding the Encrypted Local Storage feature noted on Harman's AIR runtime download page.
It should not actually cause any problems but if you don't seem to have an 'ELS' folder (or a 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro' folder within the 'ELS' folder) then it might be related to your problem.
A complete uninstallation and reinstallation ought to help but I realize that you've already tried this.

Hopefully the Time Machine and/or new administrator user account will help.
Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.

I created a new admin account-and reinstalled JB on it (I got lazy and didn't reinstall air) and it worked properly.
I have auto-updates disabled on my computer for reasons such as this, and I haven't added anything new in this timeframe.

Thanks for working through this to get me running again, even if it's on a different account. I'll try and do the time machine backup once a big project I'm working on is finished

Thank you for posting back with the update.

I'm still not sure why JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not work correctly under your original user account (the complete uninstall/reinstall procedure noted in this post should have sorted out any problems with rogue files) but I'm glad to hear that you're at least able to run JuiceboxBuilder-Pro again (albeit under a new user account).

Please keep me posted with any further developments (for example, if you choose to try the Time Machine backup).
Thanks!

Ah well, things didn't go quite so well. I was able to get the new gallery and existing gallery features to open, when I actually created and saved the gallery I get this error message: juicebox error config file not found, and there is no JB folder created in the destination I asked it to save to

Oh boy-so I just updated to the latest version of Big Sur (11.6.1) and tried to reinstall juicebox pro, hoping maybe it would cure my problem. Now when I click on the jb installer (which shows up as a generic file vs the little package it always did) I get a notice 'there is no application set to open . . .'
I downloaded another zip from the website and got the same message trying to load it

... I get this error message: juicebox error config file not found...

That sounds a lot like this known issue but it's probably not if there are no files written to the output directory.
I'm sure you've probably already done this but check the permissions on your destination folder to make sure that it is not read-only.

... which shows up as a generic file vs the little package it always did...

This sounds like an AIR file association problem. If AIR has been installed successfully, then all .air files (including the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.air installation file) should show up with an AIR icon.

I get a notice 'there is no application set to open . . .'

This also suggests that the AIR file association is broken (your system has no icon or program to associate with .air files).
Check your system's file associations (specifically the one for .air files) and, failing that, try reinstalling AIR (download from here) and see how you get on.

Unfortunately, you've reported a number of different issues: unresponsive gallery buttons, no ELS folder in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro installation (there should be one), failure to run JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under one user profile but not another, config file not found/no files written to output directory, .air files not associated with AIR.
I really do not know what could be causing all of these problems. Your most recent problem seems to be caused by AIR not being installed correctly but the lack of an ELS folder and no files being written to your chosen output directory sounds like an administrative rights/permissions problem (the installation package and the program itself being unable to write files to the required locations on your hard drive).

I don't expect that my notes above will directly resolve your problem but they might help to clarify some things and maybe point you in the right direction.

Hi--so a little over a year later, I never was able to get juicebox to work. I just got a new Macbook pro M1 and figured I'd see if it worked on my new machine. I added the code in terminal (This machine is running Ventura) and I reinstalled Air for good measure.  When I try and open IB app I get an error "the application can't be opened"  Any ideas about that?  Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having so much trouble with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
Here are a few notes which should hopefully help.

I added the code in terminal...

the Terminal App lines (noted here) were required to overcome an issue that was present in AIR when Catalina was first introduced.
Harman (the developers of AIR) have since fixed this issue and the Terminal App lines are no longer required with more recent versions of AIR.

Please be sure to use the latest version of AIR with WebKit support. (WebKit is the embedded browser that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro uses for the live preview of the gallery on the 'Customize' panel.)
This is currently AIR v33.1.1.744 which can be downloaded from the foot of the AIR download page here: https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime
Here is a direct link to the Mac version:
Mac: https://airsdk.harman.com/assets/downlo … obeAIR.dmg

(Harman removed WebKit from more recent versions of AIR and if you were to use the very latest version (currently AIR v33.1.1.932), you might run into one of the problems documented here.)

Also, as you have a Mac with M1 hardware, you may need to open JuiceboxBuilder-Pro using Rosetta.
This is noted as a Known Issue on the AIR download page (link above) and it's also mentioned here in our forum.

I hope these notes help you to get JuiceboxBuilder-Pro up and running.

Hi--so a little over a year later, I never was able to get juicebox to work. I just got a new Macbook pro M1 and figured I'd see if it worked on my new machine. I added the code in terminal (This machine is running Ventura) and I reinstalled Air for good measure.  When I try and open IB app I get an error "the application can't be opened"  Any ideas about that?  Thanks

I presume my suggestions did not help.

Using AIR v33.1.1.744 and opening JuiceboxBuilder-Pro with Rosetta has been known to work for other M1 users on Ventura (see here, for example) so it should work for you, too.

If you are still experiencing problems, try completely uninstalling both AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (following the procedure noted as #11 here) before reinstalling them.
Just remember to install AIR v33.1.1.744 (and not the very latest version, AIR v33.1.1.932) when you come to install/reinstall AIR.

More information on using Rosetta can be found here.

Sorry-that was a duplicate reply. I removed the latest version of AIR and uploaded the version you linked and I was able to open Juicebox, but not able to creaat a new gallery or open an existing one. Same to my original problem

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having difficulty with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
This forum post is the best source of information for unresponsive New Gallery and Open Gallery buttons. (I don't know if you actually have unresponsive New Gallery and Open Gallery buttons but being that you say you cannot create a new gallery or open an existing one, it sounds likely.)

I really don't know what might be causing your problem but is sounds like it's somehow specific to your system as no other Mac users have reported an inability to create a new gallery or open an existing one recently. (Any recent problem reports we've had lately are usually related to AIR versions or Rosetta, not creating or opening galleries.)

All I can suggest is that you run through the list of suggestions in the forum post again and see if anything helps.

I'd try completely uninstalling both AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro following #11 in this forum post. It's important that you delete the following folders manually afterwards.

• /Applications/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.app/

• /Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro

• /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro

I'd then reinstall AIR v33.1.1.744 and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.1.2 and try running JuiceboxBuilder-Pro with any anti-virus software that you might have installed temporarily disabled (at your own risk and having disconnected from the internet first).

I'm sorry I don't have anything else for you to try but the suggestions in the forum and/or a completely clean installation (having manually deleted all the folders listed above) should work.