Topic: No 'necessary permission' to open JB v1.5.1 on MacOS Big Sur v11.6

Hi,

after not using Juicebox for a couple of years, today I downloaded Adobe AIR (v33.1) from the Harman website and installed Juicebox v1.5.1 on my Mac (M1), OS 11.6.

But when I tried to start JB it said: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."
How can this be, since I 'm the admin and only user on this Mac? In similar cases people suggested to try to start JB in the OS safe mode – same result, it won't start.  And btw, I don't use a virus scanner, which is known to cause such problems as I have learned.

Anybody else have this problem? I don't know it from other apps so I guess it has to do with JB and/or the M1 Mac.

Thanks in advance …

Re: No 'necessary permission' to open JB v1.5.1 on MacOS Big Sur v11.6

Check out the 'Encrypted Local Store' known issue on Harman's AIR Runtimes download page: https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does use the ELS feature of AIR so you might need to do the following (only once). (Quote copied from Harman's web page, link above.)

Encrypted Local Store. On MacOS, applications requiring to use the "Encrypted Local Storage" feature of AIR will need to set up a local storage area for this. MacOS requests the user's permission during this process, with the request for a password for the "PrivateEncryptedDatak" keychain password (see image on the right). To proceed, please leave the password blank and click on "Always Allow" - this should only be displayed once.

I hope this helps.

However, a web search for "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission." seems to suggest that this error message is generated by the Mac OS rather than AIR or JuiceboxBuilder-Pro so maybe trying one of the online solutions for this error might help, too.

Thank you, Steven.
However, I installed JB again and there was no such request for a password for the "PrivateEncryptedDatak" keychain password (and there wasn't one when I installed it the first time either). So this didn't work. I can't seem to avoid the permission issue this way.

Fortunately, I found the files of my old galleries built with JB v1.5.0 including the app itself. These work on my new M1 Mac, so I will keep using the old version for the time being. I wonder if other users have the same issue, and it would be nice to update JB sometime in the future …

That's very odd (that you're able to install and use JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.0 but not v1.5.1).
I'm not sure what could be causing this problem.

Maybe some other M1 Big Sur users can chime in and help further...

In the meantime, you can upgrade your v1.5.0 galleries to v1.5.1 by just swapping the gallery's v1.5.0 'jbcore' folder with the v1.5.1 version from the Juicebox-Pro v1.5.1 zip file ('juicebox_pro_1.5.1/web/jbcore').

Thankfully, there were very few changes to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro between v1.5.0. and v1.5.1 (check out the entries labelled 'JBB' in the Version History); most of the changes were to the Juicebox engine itself, so using JuiceboxBuilder-Pro to generate a v1.5.0 gallery and then upgrading the gallery to v1.5.1 (by replacing its 'jbcore' folder) should be a pretty good workaround.
I hope its not too much of an inconvenience.

Perhaps a search through Harman's AIR discussions or issues might prove useful. You might find other M1 Big Sur users who are experiencing similar issues with different AIR applications.

Please keep me posted with any developments.
Thank you.