Topic: Expanded gallery shows blank screen

I am using juicebox on Windows 10. I've created two gallery pages that seem to me to be identical, but one of the galleries successfully expands to full screen, but the expand button on the second gallery creates a black full screen.

If you tell me what files to upload, I will do so.

Re: Expanded gallery shows blank screen

I'd really need to see the gallery in question to troubleshoot your problem.
This is not a know issue so the problem is likely to be unique to your own gallery.
Please post back with a link to the dysfunctional gallery so that I can see the problem for myself and inspect the code and configuration options that you are using.
Once I am able to see the gallery live on your web server, I should hopefully be able to determine the cause of the problem and propose a solution.

In the meantime, the only two scenarios that I am aware of that would cause a problem (usually an error 404, file not found) when expanding a gallery are the following:

(1) When the gallery is being expanded in a new page (expandInNewPage=TRUE"), then an error will occur if the 'full.html' file (inside the gallery's 'jbcore' folder) is missing or corrupt. Try reuploading your gallery's 'jbcore' folder to see if this helps.

(2) When the gallery is being expanded in a new page (expandInNewPage=TRUE"), then an error will occur if the entire JavaScript portion of the embedding code is inside the gallery container. (This will only ever be the case if you have edited the gallery's embedding code yourself.) Make sure that your embedding code <script> tags are all outside the gallery container <div>.

I hope these notes help but, if not, just post back with the link to your gallery and I'll take a look and investigate further.
Thank you.

Here's the link to the gallery that does not expand successfully to full screen: https://www.jacksonforest.com/Logging_P … amp_3.htm#

Here is a link to a gallery that expands successfully: https://www.jacksonforest.com/Logging_P … _gulch.htm

Also, I'm have a heck of a time finding out why this gallery displays as a blank with a rotating hexagon in center: https://www.jacksonforest.com/Logging_P … 20Page.htm
Help me stop tearing out what little is left of my hair!

Thanks,

Vince

Thank you for providing the link to your gallery.

Here is a link to a gallery that expands successfully:

I think the problem is that your gallery's embedding page does not contain a Doctype Declaration.
It is important that each and every web page includes a Doctype Declaration (at the very top of the HTML document) to inform browsers of the set of standards that the code on the web page should conform to.
Looking at your gallery's web page ('camp3.htm'), it would appear that the most suitable Doctype would be HTML 5 so just add the following line of code at the very top of your 'camp3.htm' web page (and all other web pages within your site if they do not already contain a Doctype Declaration).

<!DOCTYPE html>

Make sure that the Doctype Declaration is the very first thing on the page (without even any whitespace before it), before the opening <html> tag.
More information about Doctype Declarations can be found here.

Also, I'm have a heck of a time finding out why this gallery displays as a blank with a rotating hexagon in center:

According to your gallery's 'config.xml' file, the first image in your gallery should be located here: https://www.jacksonforest.com/Logging_P … cn0122.jpg
However, going directly to that location in a browser (bypassing Juicebox), results in an error 404 (file not found).
Make sure that your images have been uploaded to the correct location on your web server and make sure that their permissions are not too restrictive. (Default permissions of 644 for folders and 755 for files should be fine.)

Also, if you have done any manual editing to your gallery's 'config.xml' file, check that the image filenames in the configuration file (the imageURL entries) exactly match the actual image filenames (in the 'images' folder), paying close attention to files extensions (lowercase vs uppercase) as, on a case-sensitive web server, .jpg is not the same as .JPG.

Also, try not to use spaces in your folder names (such as 'Photos_ North'... there's a space after the underscore) as, when in a URL, they need to be escaped (a space will likely show up as '%20' if you copy and paste the URL) and this can cause confusion (and sometimes problems).
Stick with web-safe alpha-numeric characters in the names of any files and folders that you upload to your web server and all should be fine.
Please see section 2.3 of this document for details.

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

I hope these notes help you to resolve your problems.
Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you.

5 (edited by vtaylor100 2021-08-24 23:28:24)

I found the problem with the blank gallery, but still need help on the expand request creating a black screen.

I will try your suggestion on the expand failure. I'm using FrontPage and it has its own mind; so when I try to make the HTML declaration, it changes it and moves it around. Will try to solve that problem on my own.

Thanks,

Vince

I found the problem with the blank gallery, but still need help on the expand request creating a black screen.

That's great! Thank you for letting me know.

I will try your suggestion on the expand failure.

I'm fairly confident that the lack of a Doctype Declaration is the root of the problem.
I have been able to replicate the problem (using a gallery with exactly the same configuration options as yours)  by just removing the Doctype Declaration from the embedding page.
If you are having trouble adding the Doctype Declaration in FrontPage, just open the 'camp3.html' file in a plain text editor (such as Notepad++) and add:

<!DOCTYPE html>

... at the very top.
I'm not sure how FrontPage will react to a manually edited document when you next edit modify the page using FrontPage but all your HTML pages really ought to have Doctype Declarations and FrontPage ought to be able to handle this. It does not need to be the HTML 5 Doctype but it looks like the code on your web page is HTML 5 compliant. Maybe FrontPage does not recognise the HTML 5 Doctype if you add it manually but is perhaps able to use the older HTML 4.01 Doctype instead (which will be fine as long as FrontPage then goes on to generate HTML 4.01 valid code).
In any case, popping a Docytpe at the top of your gallery's embedding page should resolve the problem you're experiencing.