Topic: Social Media sharing

I had asked before about adding social media sharing to a gallery, and it didn't seem like there was a solution out there before.

I used FancyBox to create a modal overlay over the gallery and built my own, including full Facebook authorization that will post directly to the wall.  Thought I'd share to show that the caption area of JB is more than flexible enough to allow it to work:

http://wundermade.com/events/test

Re: Social Media sharing

Totally agree that its not ideal to have to authenticate the site to post the photo, but unfortunately its the only way to post the actual photo to someones profile rather than just a link (which you can do without requesting permission). 

If you just post the link, you can choose a thumbnail, but then the point is to redirect traffic back to the gallery.  Since most of my galleries will probably be password protected, I decided that this was a better solution for the time being.

Since the photos post through the app, they are all tagged "via ___" in the corner, which is enough for me currently.  That redirects back to the site.  I've been considering the idea of adding a link as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

3 (edited by sswany 2012-10-16 00:39:12)

I did look into that option too, but it was more difficult than anticipated.  Even if you change the og:image value in the meta tag with the JB API, that value is only seen by Facebook when they scrape your page, so their server doesn't see the modified value if its generated by Javascript.

There might be a different method, but you'd probably have to use more complicated URLs to reconstruct the tag by the server.  I'd rather keep the cleaner URLs for now.

Good luck.

this is an awesome modal plugin, sswany. would you consider compiling a brief guide for sale with instructions on implementing your design for others (like myself) that would benefit from social integration? i'm ready to buy.

--
ryan hendrix
commercial photographer
wichita + kansas city
316-841-5612
ryan@ryanhendrix.com
www.ryanhendrix.com

sswany that is a very nice sharing implementation - good job!

could someone post a quick how-to for integrating this widget within juicebox? my web skills are good but not good enough to decode an existing system's implementation...

Juicebox-Pro v1.3 now includes support for Social Sharing: http://juicebox.net/support/sharing

Very cool Felix! Thanks! 

Do you guys have any future plans to include full API support with Facebook to share the image itself to a timeline vs. a link with the thumbnail?  I realize its a bit complicated, even for the end user since they'd have to apply for a developer key.  Just curious.

Again, this is great!