1 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-22 16:49:55)

Topic: Editing Gallery

I created a gallery of 200+ postcard images and included the command buttons to the upper right. I wanted to edit which buttons were there so I opened an existing gallery and did so. I created the gallery, over wrote the existing one and the images directory became inaccessible. When trying to view the gallery with Edge browser, since Chrome doesn't work (I know, I read about that) locally. The thumbnails showed up and no image, only the spinning juicebox icon. I uploaded the gallery to my website, same thing. So I created the edited gallery again into a new empty directory and that worked.

Now I can't delete the images directory (which I now can't access, probably why the browser didn't open any images, only thumbnails) from the first go-round. Needs Administrator privileges. Also some of the other directories need level by level deletion.

I'll figure out the deletion thing but what the heck is going on here??

Windows 10

Re: Editing Gallery

The thumbnails showed up and no image, only the spinning juicebox icon.

Unfortunately, I cannot explain what might have happened.
You should certainly be able to edit a gallery without losing any gallery images. I've not encountered this problem before (and I don't recall any other users reporting such a problem).

I uploaded the gallery to my website, same thing.

It certainly sounds like the image entries were removed from the gallery's 'config.xml' file. If you upload a modified gallery folder to your website, then existing images will not be deleted (but if the image entries are no longer in the 'config.xml' file, then the images will no longer be displayed in the gallery).

If the problem happens again, check your gallery's 'config.xml' file (you can open it in a plain text editor) to see if the <image> tags for all your images are present.
Also, before saving your gallery on the 'Publish' tab, double-check that all the images are present on the 'Images' tab.

Now I can't delete the images directory (which I now can't access, probably why the browser didn't open any images, only thumbnails) from the first go-round. Needs Administrator privileges. Also some of the other directories need level by level deletion.

This is also very strange (although, as you say, if the 'images' folder permissions are too restrictive, then the browser will not have access to the image files).

Re-uploading images to your website should not change their permissions.
I do not know how you are uploading your gallery files but, in case it helps, I use Filezilla (a free dedicated FTP program) which I've used for many years without issue.

If you find that re-uploading a file (or folder) to your web server changes its permissions, then you might like to try a different FTP program to see if this makes a difference. An alternative FTP program for Windows is WinSCP (also free).

I'm not sure if these notes will help but if you can replicate the problem consistently, please post back with a set of steps that I can follow to try to reproduce the problem myself and hopefully help further. Thank you.

make a gallery with some photos and publish it to a local directory.
View it with a browser. Edge for instance.
AOK

Now modify it by opening the gallery at the folder you saved it to above. I edited the icons to show at upper right. Change the buttons that show.
Save it to the same place, overwrite existing. (I doubt the changes are saved, the following prevents me from finding out)
There is no indication that anything is saved, disk access light blinks briefly.
View it with a browser as above.
Thumbnails will appear but images not. Same buttons as before editing.
At that point the Images directory is restricted, cannot view using File Explorer.
Cannot delete, requires Admin. Priv.
(when I FTP the gallery to my website all I get is the spinning icon, no images, and no evidence of the edited option icons having changed. No delete restrictions on my webhost.)
Rebooting seems to relieve those local restrictions and allow deletion.

I find that I must save the edited gallery to a new folder for all to be ok.

4 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-23 14:27:00)

It appears some of my issues are due to cache images and files. I deleted them and my buttons are what I want now. I don't know why refreshing my browser on a page doesn't clear this up, however.

However there are still issues with the gallery files Juicebox creates on my PC. The directories are Read Only and I cannot change that and must delete files from the lower levels up, sometimes stuck with the rood directory that I cannot delete.

If I try to rename the gallery top directory I am not allowed as some lower level file is open in another application.

I'm trying to figure this out!!

Clark

The postcard galleries I am working on are the 4 Judy R. ones at this website.
http://www.phs1968.com/index-Postcards.html

Thank you for the additional information (and for posting your suggestions in the Feature Requests forum thread).

Cannot delete, requires Admin. Priv.

Are you using JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under an Windows Administrator User Account?
If not, what happens if you do?

Rebooting seems to relieve those local restrictions and allow deletion.

As I'm sure you're aware, rebooting should not change file permissions or attributes.
Maybe the problem has something to do with a program having a temporary lock on certain gallery files.
Check that you do not have any gallery files open in any programs (such as the 'index.html' file being open in a browser or the 'config.xml' file being open in a text editor or any gallery images being open in an imaging program) when you re-save the gallery.

(when I FTP the gallery to my website all I get is the spinning icon, no images, and no evidence of the edited option icons having changed. No delete restrictions on my webhost.)

When editing the gallery, if all you are doing is changing configuration options, then the only file you should need to update on your website is the 'config.xml' file (overwriting the existing version). There is no need to re-upload or overwrite the images or thumbnails.
This might not help to resolve your problem but it might help if you need to update a gallery on your website (as long as the image entries in the 'config.xml' are not somehow changed or removed).

Maybe you could upload a couple of sample zip files so that I can investigate further. Even if I'm unable to find the source of the problem, I might at least have a better understanding of what's happening to your gallery folder after re-re-saving your gallery.
If possible, create a sample gallery and then zip the entire gallery folder and upload it somewhere (and provide a link so that I can download it).
Then, edit your gallery, re-save it and zip the gallery folder again (and upload the new zip file so that I can compare the two).
(I'll delete the links once I've downloaded the zip files if you like.)
Once I'm able to see the gallery folder before and after the edits you make, I might be able to figure out what's going on.

It appears some of my issues are due to cache images and files. I deleted them and my buttons are what I want now. I don't know why refreshing my browser on a page doesn't clear this up, however.

Sometimes refreshing a web page is not enough to force the browser to reload the page from the server (and you might need to completely clear the cache manually to be sure that you're seeing the changes that you've made).
Please also see this FAQ:
When I update my gallery I don't see my changes online. Why?

If I try to rename the gallery top directory I am not allowed as some lower level file is open in another application.

If you are editing an existing gallery, then I've not known JuiceboxBuilder-Pro to prevent you from renaming the gallery folder whilst the gallery is open in the application (but I'd not recommend it) so perhaps the problem is, indeed, due to a gallery file being open in another program as I suggested above (so please double-check that you do not have any gallery files open in any other programs when you re-save the gallery).

I hope these notes help.

I think the inability to rename or delete are due to auto-backup programs that copy files to USB drives. I should check to see if I can have this done in the wee hours of the morning. My PC runs 24/7. I am getting file not found messages from the backup utility, probably due to my forcing deletion of files.

Back to the Editing issues.

Since Juicebox won't maintain the rotation that has been adjusted using the File Explorer, how about in the Images section of Gallery Creation that once you choose an image to edit (Title, Caption, URL fields) there are options to rotate counter-clockwise or delete the image.

How about once you choose the image from the thumbnails above, a clockwise rotation option is added. AND by pressing the L or R key you can rotate Left (CC) or Right (Clockwise). Much quicker than aiming the mouse and clicking.

8 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-24 18:09:00)

Rotation glitch....
I have a postcard I scanned the writing upside-down. I want to rotate it twice, of 180 degrees. What do I get, 180 degrees and the mirror image! I've noticed this in my galleries and overlooked it till now.  It doesn't happen consistently.

BTW. Now I find that sometimes Juicebox does maintain the rotation done using Windows File Explorer.  ???

Clark

Post's attachments

EK_0172.JPG 949.66 kb, 1 downloads since 2018-01-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
I hope you're able to resolve your file-lock problem (it certainly sounds like it might be connected to your USB backup procedure).

What do I get, 180 degrees and the mirror image!

Thank you for reporting this problem. I've been able to replicate it with one of my own images and I've notified the developers who will investigate further.
At the moment, the only workaround I've found is to rotate images (if necessary) in a third-party imaging program (such as Adobe Photoshop) before feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
Hopefully the developers will be able to fix this issue in a future version.
Thank you, once again, for reporting it.

10 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-27 01:34:50)

I'm still finding it impossible to edit an existing gallery. I load the existing gallery and edit (enable) the Show Open Button, Change the Max Thumb Rows from 1 to 2, the Max Thumb Columns from 10 to 15.
I save it and the spinning circle stays on.
You say it only needs to save the XML file but it seems to try to save everything and access attributes don't allow that.
??
Perhaps you can replicate this. The gallery has 300

I can edit the config.xml file separately to enable the Show Open Button but I can't figure out how to change the other 2 parameters. I'd like to avoid the need to create the whole gallery from scratch, with rotations, etc...

Ok, figured it out using another gallery with those options:
        showOpenButton="true"
    maxThumbRows="2"
    maxThumbColumns="15"

Note: The last 2 lines are not in the file if the default is used, 1 and 10

I save it and the spinning circle stays on.

Perhaps you can replicate this.

I really do not know why Juicebox is unable to display your gallery images after you edit a gallery.

It is not something that I have been able to replicate. I have never seen this before and, as far as I can recall, no-one else has reported such a problem so the cause might be something unique to your system or setup.

As I suggested a couple of posts ago, maybe you could provide me with a couple of sample zip files: one of your gallery folder before editing and another of your gallery folder after editing. Once I'm able to compare the two versions of your gallery folder, I might have a better understanding of why you are unable to see your gallery images after editing.

The file-lock/auto-backup scenario might still be playing a part in the problem.
Try temporarily turning off your auto-backup program (or at least make an exception for the location of your gallery folder so that your auto-backup program does not interfere with it) to see if this makes a difference.
Also, make sure that the location you use for your gallery folder is not synced to a cloud backup service (such as Dropbox or Google Drive).

You say it only needs to save the XML file but it seems to try to save everything and access attributes don't allow that.

To clarify, after editing an existing gallery, JuiceboxBuilder-Pro will resave the entire gallery but, if all you do is change some configuration options (and do not add or remove any images), then the only file you need to reupload to your web server is the gallery's 'config.xml' file.

Ok, figured it out using another gallery...

That's great! Thank you for letting me know.

12 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-27 03:27:27)

Ok, figuring this out a bit more....

In this gallery (written on the first create):
http://www.phs1968.com/Postcards-Ebay/E … ex.html#14 

Image 15 is:
sourcePath="C:\Users\Clark\Pictures\eBay pics\3-27-04%20(59).jpg">
and shows up blank.
If you choose it the spinning icon appears and nothing more.
I'm thinking the name of the file with the %20 in it gets thru when the gallery is created but when you reload it to edit it and then save it it hangs up there. The directories are locked during the write process perhaps? The only way out is to abort Juicebox leaving them locked.

Interesting it creates a gallery fine if it goes to an empty directory after editing ...

I discovered this after making a smaller gallery, 100 images, to zip up for you. It worked fine, being edited, so that made me investigate further. My first 2 Galleries had these % files, all showing up black...

Thank you for the update.

Image 15 is:
sourcePath="C:\Users\Clark\Pictures\eBay pics\3-27-04%20(59).jpg">
and shows up blank.

Just for clarification, the sourcePath is used only internally by JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (when editing a gallery). It is not used by Juicebox when the gallery is displayed.
JuiceboxBuilder-Pro stores the original paths of the source images (as sourcePath entries) in case it needs to re-process the source images (for example to remove watermarks).
The images displayed in the gallery are the imageURL and thumbURL.

The %20 indicates that the image has (at one point or another) had a space in the filename (%20 is the percent encoding for a space).
As an image filename forms part of a URL when uploaded to a web server, it would be wise to use only web-safe characters within image filenames. Please see section 2.3 of this document for details.

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

JuiceboxBuilder-Pro can handle all images whose filenames use any or all of these unreserved characters.

Interesting it creates a gallery fine if it goes to an empty directory after editing ...

This sounds more and more like there's a lock on certain gallery files preventing JuiceboxBuilder from re-saving the entire gallery. Unfortunately, I still do not know what might be causing this although it's certainly not a widespread problem as you are the first person to report it (as far as I can remember) which suggests that there may be something unique to your own computer which might be at the root of the problem.

Try using only files with web-safe filenames to see if the problem continues to occur.

14 (edited by cwnicholls 2018-01-28 15:25:51)

I will redo the 2 galleries with the %20 filenames. The locked directories happened on hung edits of a gallery which I aborted the program since it would not complete. Would that leave them locked?

I'll report back when I recreate those 2 galleries, having renamed the files to be without the %20

Well, without large amount of permutations, it seems that renaming the 2 images in the first gallery to delete the %20 in the name, I am now allowed to edit and save in the same directory tree that gallery. And the files are not locked.

Now I need to figure out how to delete the trees that are locked from the previous times!
Did so after a PC reboot.

I will redo the 2 galleries with the %20 filenames. The locked directories happened on hung edits of a gallery which I aborted the program since it would not complete. Would that leave them locked?

As long as the process that had the lock on the files has been killed, then the lock should be released.
If the program was JuiceboxBuilder-Pro itself (which had hung due to your files with %20 in their filenames), then just double-check that the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro process is no longer running (for example, in Windows 10, go to 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete -> Windows Task Manager -> More Details -> Processes -> Apps' and, if necessary, select 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro' and click 'End task').

Well, without large amount of permutations, it seems that renaming the 2 images in the first gallery to delete the %20 in the name, I am now allowed to edit and save in the same directory tree that gallery. And the files are not locked.

I'm glad that you seem to have found the solution to your problem (to rename the files with %20 in their filenames).
Thank you for letting me know.

Now I need to figure out how to delete the trees that are locked!

It certainly sounds like the files are just temporarily locked (rather than having been created as read-only files or requiring administrative rights to access) so killing the process that has the lock on the files (or rebooting your computer) should be enough to allow you to delete them.