Topic: Issues interpreting special chars [SOLVED]

Hello fellows,

still excited about this very sophisticated solution to show images. Congratulations to the developer team!

But! Since I need to use special chars such as ß or ä (site is done in German), I struggle with the reaction while trying to include those into the gallery title. See image attached to post.

This shown error is the result of interpreting "ß". I also tried to change the xml output to "ß", doesn't work either, in this case there no pictures shown at all.

To figure out that this is the problem alone took me quite a few hours...

Greeting
Frank

Post's attachments

Zwischenablage01.jpg 623.08 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Issues interpreting special chars [SOLVED]

Juicebox can display characters other than regular alphanumeric characters (i.e. non Latin characters and non Arabic numerals) throughout a gallery.
Check out this demo Juicebox-Lite gallery which has Chinese characters in both the Gallery Title and the image titles and captions.

Take a look at your gallery's configuration file in a browser (open your gallery's 'loadRefGallery.php?refID=xyz' file directly in a browser) and view the source of the page to see exactly what your PHP script is generating and outputting to the dynamically generated content.
It's possible that the 'ß' character is being escaped (before being output) and that this may not be necessary.
As long as the 'ß' character actually appears (not in an escaped form) in the Gallery Title and/or image titles and captions in the configuration file, then it should also appear in the gallery itself.

Also, if you are trying to use ß, then as the '&' character is an XML entity that needs to be escaped in an XML file, you might need to escape the '&' character within ß to & and then use ß instead (but using 'ß' directly should also work fine).

Hi Steven @ Juicebox,

you helped me again! The second suggestion worked: &ampszlig;

I didn't know that i possbile, learned again something new. So seems I need further understanding of char types and all that stuff.

Thank you again!

Frank

You're welcome!
I'm glad I could help.

Incidentally, if you were escaping your text with the PHP function htmlentities() before outputting it, you might like to try using htmlspecialchars() instead. htmlspecialchars() will convert only special characters (&, ", ', < and >) to HTML entities (just enough to prevent breaking the XML syntax) whereas htmlentities() will convert all applicable characters to HTML entities (which might be breaking your 'ß' character).