Topic: Newbie - HELP! [SOLVED]

Hi Folks

1st Post in here - please handle gently. ;)

I have just taken over the hosting and management of a website which has the Juicebox facility somewhere. It's a Wordpress site but I can find no plugin that looks like Juicebox.

There is a Portfolio section for the theme so perhaps the juicebox is somehow built into the theme? I have no idea at this point. I have set the site up as dev.domain.com for the moment until I can fully manage the site (the original site is still on the www so that it stays up).

The portfolio images from the Portfolio work just fine on the live site but not on the dev. site. This leads me to think perhaps there is a hard-coded "www" somewhere in a setup file. However I can find no setup file. I see talk on this forum of an "embed" file but at this point I have no idea where to find that file.

Any help with this gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Re: Newbie - HELP! [SOLVED]

It's a Wordpress site but I can find no plugin that looks like Juicebox.

The Juicebox plugin for WordPress is called WP-Juicebox and, if installed, it will be listed on the 'Plugins' page in the WordPress admin section.

There is a Portfolio section for the theme so perhaps the juicebox is somehow built into the theme?

As far as I am aware, there are no official themes which contain Juicebox so if Juicebox is somehow built into a theme, someone has been very creative!

This leads me to think perhaps there is a hard-coded "www" somewhere in a setup file. However I can find no setup file. I see talk on this forum of an "embed" file but at this point I have no idea where to find that file.

If WP-Juicebox is not installed, then it is likely that individual Juicebox galleries have been embedded manually into pages or posts.
Each gallery consists of a 'jbcore' folder (containing the Juicebox core files), a 'config.xml' file (containing the gallery's image data and configuration options) and 'images' and 'thumbs' folders. This should give you something to search for on your server.
In addition to the files required for a Juicebox gallery, there will be some embedding code (in the body of the page or post containing the gallery) which will look something like this:

<!--START JUICEBOX EMBED-->
<script src="my_gallery_folder/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>
<script>
    new juicebox({
        baseUrl: 'my_gallery_folder/',
        configUrl: 'config.xml',
        containerId: 'juicebox-container',
        galleryWidth: '800',
        galleryHeight: '600',
        backgroundColor: '#222222'
    });
</script>
<div id="juicebox-container"></div>
<!--END JUICEBOX EMBED-->

If you find a Juicebox gallery that does not work, then it is certainly possible that the paths in the embedding code are pointing to the wrong places.
For each web page containing a gallery (or galleries), there will always be a path pointing towards the 'juicebox.js' file (inside the 'jbcore' folder).
Depending on the structure of the gallery, there may (or may not) be additional paths in the embedding code as follows:
(1) A configUrl path pointing towards a specific configuration file.
(2) A baseUrl path, pointing towards a specific gallery folder (please see here for details).

If there is any way for you to let me see the site (or at least a dysfunctional Juicebox gallery page), I should hopefully be able to help you further. Thank you.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply.

There is no plugin. I have realised that they have embedded the Juicebox into each gallery. I have found the script and the issue was that the previous developer used the full FQDN for the site, so of course with me putting up the site on the subdomain "dev." it broke all the galleries.

I went into each gallery folder and edited the file, taking out the http://etc.etc.etc. from <script src="" >and just leaving the /wp-content/.... and it worked like a charm. I have never been able to understand why people have to call the full URL for the site each time they want to load a page or image. Drives me nuts.

All the best
Chris

I've glad that you've been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you very much for letting me know.

Paths in WordPress pages are often absolute but they are usually generated dynamically when the page is displayed.
As you are aware, any hard-coded absolute paths will certainly cause problems if a WordPress site is moved.