Topic: Show Small Paging Text

All my galleries are by default set in Large Mode. I notice that what ever I set for Show Small Paging Text (False or true) Small Paging Text is visible in screens smaller then 1024 px.
When I turn my galleries to Auto Mode, Show Small Paging Text are working as designed. On by true, off by false

Paging Text is working fine, they are not visible when set as false and visible when set as true.

Re: Show Small Paging Text

All my galleries are by default set in Large Mode. I notice that what ever I set for Show Small Paging Text (False or true) Small Paging Text is visible in screens smaller then 1024 px.

If all your galleries set screenMode="LARGE" (always being displayed in Large Screen Mode), then showSmallPagingText will never have any effect. showSmallPagingText refers to Small Screen Mode only.

showSmallPagingText will display the thumbnail paging text only if screenMode="SMALL" or screenMode="AUTO" and Juicebox decides to use Small Screen Mode (due to the device and screen size being used to view the gallery).

In Large Screen Mode, the thumbnail paging text can be selected using showPagingText.
If screenMode="LARGE" and showPagingText="TRUE", then the thumbnail paging text will always be displayed, no matter what size the user's browser window is.

If you want to hide the thumbnail paging text in browser windows of less than 1024px width when screenMode="LARGE" and showPagingText="TRUE", then you'd need to introduce custom CSS and JavaScript.
Something like the following should work:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <style type="text/css">
      body {
        margin: 0px;
      }
      /* Initially hide thumbnail paging text until we know whether or not it should be visible */
      .jb-idx-thb-list-page-number {
        display: none;
      }
    </style>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function pagingText() {
        var windowWidth = parseInt(window.innerWidth ? window.innerWidth : $(window).width(), 10);
        if (windowWidth > 1024) {
          $('.jb-idx-thb-list-page-number').show(); // Show thumbnail paging text if necessary
        } else {
          $('.jb-idx-thb-list-page-number').hide(); // Hide thumbnail paging text
        }
      }
      var jb = new juicebox({
        containerId: "juicebox-container",
        screenMode: "LARGE",
        showPagingText: "TRUE"
      });
      // Wait until gallery is ready before using thumbnail paging text class
      jb.onInitComplete = function() {
        pagingText();
        $(window).resize(pagingText);
      };
    </script>
    <title>Test</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id="juicebox-container"></div>
  </body>
</html>

Please note that the suggestion above will hide the thumbnail paging text in Large Screen Mode for browser window widths of less than 1024px but space will still be reserved for it by Juicebox (as showPagingText="TRUE" and, as far as Juicebox is concerned, the paging text should be there).

I do understand that ShowSmallPagingText settings only has effect in SmallScreen Mode.

I can't understand that the SmallPagingText is always on in LargeScreen Mode on mobile devices with screens smaller than 1024px while I tell in both ShowPagingText and ShowSmallPagingText that is has to be off.

On desktop browsers with a browserwidth below 1024px it is off.

This is totally illogical from users perspective. What a user expect is that in LargeMode all settings for LargeMode count for all sizes irrespective of device type, device width or browser width.

Sorry to tell but this is bad developers design.

OK thanks for the workaround

I have found the issue, the JuiceboxBuilderpro is not writing the information about paging text properly in config.xml. After I add manually to each config.xml the following lines hard-coded:

showPagingText="false"
showSmallPagingText="false"

It works. When I leave out showSmallPagingText="false" the pagingtext is still visible in LargeScreen Mode in mobile browser

The default value for showSmallPagingText is TRUE (noted on the Config Options page).

If, when you first open JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, you do not change a configuration option, JuiceboxBuilder-Pro will not write the option's default value to the gallery's 'config.xml' file (to save cluttering up the file with hundreds of entries) and Juicebox-Pro will use the default value when the gallery is displayed.

If there is no entry for showSmallPagingText in the gallery's 'config.xml' file, then Juicebox will use this option's default value of TRUE and you'll see the thumbnail paging text when the gallery is displayed in Small Screen Mode.

I think this might be what you are experiencing.

I have checked that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is writing correct values to the 'config.xml' file and cannot find an error.
Correct values (corresponding to the interface input fields) are written to the file (but default values are not always entered).

I hope this helps somewhat.

If you have a gallery which does not behave as expected, then please post a link so that I can investigate further.
Likewise, if you have a set of steps that I can use to reproduce an error with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, please let me know.

To summarize...

• showPagingText="TRUE" will always show the thumbnail paging text when the gallery is displayed in Large Screen Mode. The default value for showPagingText is FALSE.

• showSmallPagingText="TRUE" will always show the thumbnail paging text when the gallery is displayed in Small Screen Mode. The default value for showSmallPagingText is TRUE.

• If a configuration option is not explicitly written to a gallery's 'config.xml' file, then Juicebox will use the default value for that option.

Also, just to clarify, you mention "LargeScreen Mode in mobile browser" and "LargeScreen Mode on mobile devices with screens smaller than 1024px". The only way that Juicebox will be displayed in Large Screen Mode on mobile devices with small screens is if you set screenMode="LARGE". If the gallery is truly in Large Screen Mode, then showPagingText will be active (and showSmallPagingText will be ignored), regardless of the device or browser window size.

Maybe something to investigated because I notice that in LargeScreenMode the setting ShowSmallPagingText is still a valid setting on mobile browsers.

I've just set up 9 different test galleries (all setting screenMode="LARGE"), using all combinations of showPagingText (not set, TRUE and FALSE) and showSmallPagingText (not set, TRUE and FALSE).
I then viewed all 9 galleries in Mobile Safari, Chrome 56 and Firefox 6.0 on an iPod Touch 6 running iOS 10.2.1.
All results were as expected: the thumbnail paging text displayed only in those galleries which set showPagingText="TRUE".
The value of showSmallPagingText (or its existance as a configuration option at all) did not make a difference to any of the galleries (which is expected as screenMode="LARGE").
I've tried but I really can't replicate the problem you're describing.

Maybe what you were seeing was a result of a caching issue (either client or server-side) and your browser was using an older cached version of your gallery's 'config.xml' file (with different settings).

If you do find a gallery which displays the thumbnail paging text unexpectedly (or does not show it when it should), please post a link to the gallery in question and let me know what device and browser you see the problem in.
Thank you.