Topic: Picasa being discontinued [SOLVED]

Hi,

I'm using juicebox for WordPress to show my picasa albums on my blog.

Google announced that it will discontinue picasa, and everybody will have to start using Google foto's.

What do I have to do / change so my albums and new album's will stay visible on my site? Will there be a new juicebox version to support this change?

Thank you,
Edwin

Re: Picasa being discontinued [SOLVED]

The current version of WP-Juicebox (v1.4.4.2) should already support Google Photos.
Select 'Picasa Web Album' as the image source and enter your Google Account name in the 'Picasa User Id' input field (for example gallery123 from 'gallery123@gmail.com') and your Album Name in the 'Picasa Album Id/Name' input field.

Where do you get the Album name from in Google Photos?

Also, downloaded the new version (1.4.4.2) and copied the jbcore folder to the jbcore folder under:wp-content/plugins/wp-juicebox

But in wordpress admin it still shows that I am using version 1.4.2.1

Anyway, I can't get it to work with google photos right now.

Kind regards,
Edwin

Also, downloaded the new version (1.4.4.2) and copied the jbcore folder to the jbcore folder under:wp-content/plugins/wp-juicebox

In order to upgrade WP-Juicebox, you need to replace all the WP-Juicebox files (not just the 'jbcore' folder).
The 'jbcore' folder contains the core Juicebox files which are used to display the galleries in the frontend.
The other files in the plugin handle the integration within WordPress, the user interface and the backend functionality.

Once you have replaced all the WP-Juicebox files, make sure you upgrade the plugin to use your Juicebox-Pro v.1.4.4.2 'jbcore' folder following the Upgrading to Juicebox-Pro instructions in the plugin's support page.

Where do you get the Album name from in Google Photos?

Once logged into Google and in the Photos section, go to Collections (from the left side menu) and select Albums from the drop down menu at the top.
You can create a new Album via the + character at the top or you can click on an existing Album and click in the Title field (default text 'Untitled') to give your existing Album a Title.

You can find your Google User Id by going to your Google+ Profile page and grabbing the 21 digit number from the URL.

You can try to display one of my own test albums using the following details:
Picasa/Google User Id: 109901943277912891450
Picasa/Google Album Name: TestAlbum

Ok, thanks Steven. I finally understand how the update process works:

1 download the latest version of the plugin
2 download the latest version of the pro files
3 install the new version of the plugin
4 overwrite the jbcore folder with the jbcore folder from the pro files

So, I have that all working now. So I'm ready for the move to Google Photos. But with the new version I've noticed that now on all my galleries Juicebox shows the filename in the overlay. How can I switch that of?

Thanks again.

When using a Picasa/Google+ Web Album as the source of image, WP-Juicebox uses the Picasa/Google+ image 'title' as the Juicebox image title (which by default is the image filename) and the Picasa/Google+ image 'summary' as the Juicebox image caption.

If you want to prevent WP-Juicebox from displaying the Picasa/Google+ image 'title', please do the following.
(1) Open the 'wp-juicebox/config.php' file in a plain text editor.
(2) Change line 120 from:

$image_title = $attachment->title;

... to:

$image_title = '';

You can do likewise for the Picasa/Google+ image 'summary' by changing line 127 from:

$image_caption = $attachment->summary;

... to:

$image_caption = '';

Please note that the line numbers above refers to the current version of WP-Juicebox (v1.4.4.2).

Thanks Steven,

everything solved.

You're welcome!
I'm glad everything's OK. Thank you for letting me know.