Topic: Fit in Square thumbnails

Is it possible to use a 'fit in' method to create the thumbnails in Juicebox Pro 1.4.3.
Using the amateur version of Juicebox as a plugin in Imatch gave me perfectly sized thumbnails. Whereas the $$$$$ pro version is cropping all my images when generating the thumbnails.

Am I missing something here ? - I don't find any posts on this topic.

Re: Fit in Square thumbnails

JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro use the same methods for resizing images for thumbnails (and Juicebox-Lite and Juicebox-Pro use the same methods for displaying them in the gallery). The only difference is that Juicebox-Pro allows you to choose the thumbWidth and thumbHeight parameters.

JuiceboxBuilder-Lite and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro have always cropped images to fill (rather than to fit within) the chosen thumbnail dimensions.
I am not familiar with IMatch or its Juicebox plugin. Perhaps it scales the images differently that JuiceboxBuilder does when it creates the thumbnails for the gallery.

Maybe if you could post links to the two galleries that you are referring to (the Lite one that's OK and the Pro one that's not), I might be able to figure out what's going on. Thank you.

Also, there are a couple of workarounds that you might like to try:
(1) Upgrade the IMatch plugin from Juicebox-Lite to Juicebox-Pro by swapping the plugin's Lite 'jbcore' folder for the Pro version from your Juicebox-Pro download zip folder ('juicebox_pro_1.4.3.2/web/jbcore/'). The plugin should still use the same resizing algorithm as before and all galleries subsequently created by the plugin will be Pro.
(2) If you create your gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, you could swap the thumbnail images (in the 'thumbs' folder) for a custom set of your own (created by a different program).

Thanks for getting back to me Steven.
I don't like fit to fill . The images I was using in my website looked very amateurish as thumbnails with bits cropped out of them. I thought the whole idea of a thumbnail was to give a mini representation of the image not an approximation.

Anyway I have solved my problem by editing the macro supplied by Imatch so that it can create all the required images and add which ever preset I want to the config.xml.

Imatch 5 is an image asset manager produced by Photools.com. It allows you to create each required jpeg size individually from a master uncompressed tif or psd file. I am a photographer and I organise all my images on an Imatch database.

I like the way juicebox displays on all the devices I have run it on - it is excellent! Would I be right in assuming that the 215kb js file contains some of the jquery library. Is there any way of optimising this overhead ?  On a bootstrap site you are already including the minified jQuery library at 95kb.

I don't like fit to fill .

Unfortunately, there is not a scale-to-fit option for the thumbnails (only scale-to-fill), although you could certainly suggest this as an idea for a future version in the Feature Requests forum thread if you like. (The thumbnails were designed more as a navigation tool than as a method to showcase the images themselves. The main images can be scaled to fit within the gallery's image area (in their entirety, retaining their aspect ratios and without cropping) by using either imageScaleMode="SCALE_DOWN" or "SCALE").

Anyway I have solved my problem by editing the macro supplied by Imatch so that it can create all the required images and add which ever preset I want to the config.xml.

I'm glad you've found a suitable workaround for your problem.

Would I be right in assuming that the 215kb js file contains some of the jquery library.

Yes. Juicebox contains its own bundled version of jQuery so that no other dependencies are required. A user can just

Is there any way of optimising this overhead ?

The 'juicebox.js' JavaScript file is packed and obfuscated and cannot be modified so it would not be possible to remove the jQuery content from the file. Also, one benefit of Juicebox using its own version of jQuery (other than not having to ensure that jQuery is included in the web page containing the gallery's embedding code) is that we can be sure that all Juicebox functionality works OK. If a version of jQuery older than that required is used or a bug is introduced into a new version of jQuery, the gallery may fail to function correctly. Juicebox using its own bundled version of jQuery avoids this possibility.

I am using Juicebox-Pro Lightroom Plugin v1.50 on Mac OS X EL Capitan. There is a bad bug displaying cropped images in square thumbnails! Lightroom also use square thumbnails for navigation, but thumbnails in the square frame are displayed as expected! This is even more important on the web! As it is now you even don't know if the next image is in landscape or portrait mode!

However, images in folder thumbs (probably created by Lightroom) are correct - not cropped! A scale-to-fit for the thumbnails should be default as navigation tool, everything else as an option.   

Is there any workaround at least?

@borut.podlipnik

You can change the shape of the thumbnails with thumbWidth and thumbHeight (via the 'Thumb Width' and 'Thumb Height' sliders in the 'Thumbnail' control panel). They do not need to be square but they will all be the same size as each other.

However, images in folder thumbs (probably created by Lightroom) are correct - not cropped!

The thumbnails exported by Lightroom are not cropped (as you have discovered). Lightroom uses the thumbWidth and thumbHeight values as maximum bounds when resizing the images and their aspect ratios are respected.
However, Juicebox will always dynamically scale the thumbnail images to fill the thumbnail dimensions (with cropping if the aspect ratios do not match) when the gallery is displayed.
Even though JuiceboxBuilder-Pro crops thumbnails to the exact thumbnail dimensions and Lightroom does not, if you view galleries (built with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and Lightroom) with the same thumbWidth and thumbHeight values, the galleries (and thumbnails in particular) will look the same.
There is no way to change this.

The only thing you could do is create your own set of scaled-to-fit thumbnail images (in Lightroom, Photoshop or another imaging program) and replace the ones in the 'thumbs' folder.
Please bear in mind that it would still not be possible to have thumbnail images of different sizes. All thumbnail images will be displayed at the thumbWidth and thumbHeight dimensions. If you have images of varying aspect ratios, you may need to pad your thumbnail canvas with blank space (at the top and bottom or left and right) to fill the thumbnail dimensions.

If you like, you can post suggestions for future versions in the Feature Requests forum thread.
This keeps all the ideas together and ensures that they are not overlooked by the developers.
I do not know the likelihood of any suggestions being implemented but this is certainly the best place for all ideas.
Thank you.

Is your link for the "Future Requests" correct? I had to register on "Showkase Support" which is different product....

OK. I found "Juicebox Feature Requests".

You're correct. Sorry. The link pointed towards the Showkase forum Feature Requests thread in error. Thank you for pointing this out.
I've fixed the link now so that it points correctly towards the Juicebox forum Feature Requests thread (http://juicebox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5). I'm glad you found the right thread. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.